Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

After 16 months of owning the SGZC12RC, I've at long last sprayed it's mount matt black, to make it more discreet. I don't like to rush things :)

Before
1e51f214090e307f77b3bba5a786c5f2.jpg

After
f22d90df778393569d4cbcb6aaa8f501.jpg

Motivation for doing it is that I had to temporarily remove the cam while the windscreen was replaced, following a stone chip repair failure.

Off-topic, the dotted zone on the original screen was within the laminations, so the zone was perfectly smooth to the touch. With the replacement screen, the dotted zone is slightly raised from the glass surface, so the undulations can be felt.

Vey nice picture. I could think to NASA but I already started thinking to Christmas!

enjoy,
Mtz

I need more screens in my car, at full blast all i have is the 7" tablet on top of dashbord, the 7" duble DIN headunit.
But i could get a holder for my phone so i could see it too when its charging or acting as internet hotspot for the tablet, but as it is now its just tucked into a little compartment on my center console.

Or i need new Korean dashcams with 3.4" screens along the top of my windscreen.

My setup is a little different now but at this rate it's going to look like Alex Roy's car (well I drool over his setup but it's overkill for my usage).

Under the mirror & Bel RX65 S7 radar detector ;)

AHv0dQ3.jpg
Navigation on the tablet. Car data on the top phone. What's the middle phone for - reading DCT on the go?

There seem to be a screen addiction in the world.
Here you will often see people driving with the NAV unit on, by they are not navigating anywhere, just going to or from work the same route they driven every day for the past 15 years.
I have even seen a middle eastern guy here have NAV running both on his cheap ass 2 DIN win CE head unit and on the phone on the windscreen. :eek::D
And then not forgetting the people that will put a NAV unit or smartphone right smack in the middle of the windscreen though thats illegal here, but it just got to be up there so other people can see your smart devise ( only reasoning i can think off )
I think if you drive your car so hard you need to have live performance readouts, then you are driving it too hard or get numbers thrown at you in real time you cant really use for anything.

But there is a multitude of things in the world i dont get, but people can do what they please as long as it dont affect me, and that include breaking the law ( like i do too once in a while when it suit me )

Here you will often see people driving with the NAV unit on, by they are not navigating anywhere, just going to or from work the same route they driven every day for the past 15 years.
It probably is in case of congestion to find a better route. E.g. Google Maps is pretty damn good in it, that's why I use it even when I'm very sure about the route.

Can Google maps also guide you around any traffic if you are not actually navigating ?
I guess it can, it know from the internet where the traffic is at a stand still, and it know by the GPS antenna where it is.

But traffic at a standstill is not something you see often here, mostly its caused by a crash, and thankfully they dont happen a lot.
I have never been caught out in traffic due to a crash, or rather i have once, but the crash was on the other side of the road and in my side people was just rubbernecking asking for another crash to happen.

I sort of understand if it was near our capitol Copenhagen as its the spawning ground of incompetence on so staggering many levels, and in spite of them having by far the biggest roads with 2 X more lanes than in my part of the country, traffic there is often at a stand still.

It probably is in case of congestion to find a better route. E.g. Google Maps is pretty damn good in it, that's why I use it even when I'm very sure about the route.

me too. I have waze set up so that it autostarts and navigates to work when I turn my ignition on. there's just too many things that can go wrong during a morning commute so I appreciate being redirected when my usual route is clogged up.

I first have to turn on the GPS antenna in my tablet if i am navigating anywhere, and i have used google for navigation a lot, but i never heard it mumble anything about rerouting due to traffic.
I guess we Danes in Jutland at least is blessed in this regard.
I now use a local NAV app that dont need a internet connection for navigating, but it can reroute around traffic if i let it get a taste of the internet.
My phone also dont have bluetooth or GPS or wifi turned on, no need for that as i dont use stuff like that on the phone.

I figure i am not quite like most people when it come to modern technology,,,, that too :)

In the 90ties what was the period of my life when i drove the most i really haven't seen deadlocked traffic i can remember, if so its most likely been around those few holiday days every year where people leave for or get home from holiday.
And a assume a bad que here is like 1/3 of everyday LA traffic into or out of town. ( and we only have 2 lanes ( each direction ) major roads in my part of the country )

Last edited:
I usually check my tomtom app for traffic when setting off to/from work, especially if I'm on a tight schedule to pick up the kids. Actually I use it far more for its traffic service than for navigation.

Good points about mounting on the vinyl, because you are sticking to the vinyl, not the glass, so it all depends in how well the vinyl sticks to the glass.

I used a 3M sticky pad, not suction mount, and the dots are in the screen, not printed on it.

If the vinyl does come away from the glass the it will look crap from outside and be the opposite of what I wanted to achieve, but so far its working very well.

With this possible problem, only time will tell I suppose.

Update on my vinyl install....

It is still successfully staying in place.

However....I've got a 2 inch crack in my windscreen....getting longer on a daily basis, so a screen replacement is imminent! Luckily I kept the template and loads of vinyl, but have to admit, its gonna be a real pita!

The crack is undoubtedly due to the added weight the vinyl adds to the cam. :eek:

I should re-locate the cam/vinyl to the bottom of the screen where the crack is....the vinyl will hold the screen together! Had a stone chip a few months back, right in the middle of the passenger view - that was repaired and is fine. Looking at the source of this crack, it appears there was another stonechip, but on the bottom of the screen where it goes down below the dash, so I didn't know it was there (haven't washed my car for months, so didn't know it was there). £75 insurance excess for a replacement screen, so I'm holding out as long as possible (which is a risk I know).

Almost 5 years ago my dash cam caught the moment when a road rock hit my windshield while driving on an interstate highway at about 70 MPH. On video it sounds like a bullet hitting the windshield as a good size star break crack suddenly appears in the glass. Considering that the break appeared right in front of me in the driver's seat I gained a keen appreciation of why we here in the US usually use the term "windshield" rather than "windscreen", although I do find myself using both terms interchangeably these days.

Last edited:
Update on my vinyl install....

It is still successfully staying in place.

However....I've got a 2 inch crack in my windscreen....getting longer on a daily basis, so a screen replacement is imminent! Luckily I kept the template and loads of vinyl, but have to admit, its gonna be a real pita!

template off your old screen, ask the windscreen guy to let you put the vinyl on before he puts the new screen in

There seem to be a screen addiction in the world.
I have even seen a middle eastern guy here have NAV running both on his cheap ass 2 DIN win CE head unit and on the phone on the windscreen. :eek::D
And then not forgetting the people that will put a NAV unit or smartphone right smack in the middle of the windscreen though thats illegal here, but it just got to be up there so other people can see your smart devise ( only reasoning i can think off )
I think if you drive your car so hard you need to have live performance readouts, then you are driving it too hard or get numbers thrown at you in real time you cant really use for anything.

But there is a multitude of things in the world i dont get, but people can do what they please as long as it dont affect me, and that include breaking the law ( like i do too once in a while when it suit me )
How true, it's real life.

Back