Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Here you will often see people driving with the NAV unit on, by they are not navigating anywhere, just going to or from work the same route they driven every day for the past 15 years.
I have even seen a middle eastern guy here have NAV running both on his cheap ass 2 DIN win CE head unit and on the phone on the windscreen. :eek::D
And then not forgetting the people that will put a NAV unit or smartphone right smack in the middle of the windscreen though thats illegal here, but it just got to be up there so other people can see your smart devise ( only reasoning i can think off )

I have 3 things I can use as a GPS to navigate. To figure out which free app is best I will run 2 units at one time. There is a difference in programs. Testing side by side is the best way to know which option works best. I had a genuine 7" gps I took back. Besides freezing up after an hour of use it had map problems. A road under 5 years old was there. Other roads there for better than 40 years were not. A change in routing better than 10 years ago did not show up.

Testing locally when not needed is the best change to make sure that locally you get useful information.

It may also be used more for a speed warning to prevent speeding tickets.

Almost 5 years ago my dash cam caught the moment when a road rock hit my windshield while driving on an interstate highway at about 70 MPH. On video it sounds like a bullet hitting the windshield as a good size star break crack suddenly appears in the glass. Considering that the break appeared right in front of me in the driver's seat I gained a keen appreciation of why we here in the US usually use the term "windshield" rather than "windscreen", although I do find myself using both terms interchangeably these days.

In the UK they like to "partially" resurface the roads, to replace skid traction. This process involves laying down a layer of tar, then throwing a load of stonechips onto it. A quick pressing down with the roller and then leave it and open the road - the theory being that the traffic will press the stones in. They put up speed restriction signs, but inevitabely you get someone coming the other way going to fast, and you get stones flying at you because that car threw them up. When they did a section earlier in the year I took a diversion for a couple of weeks to avoid it. I've had stones hit the windscreen and make a loud noise but give no damage, and others hit with very little noise and cause a chip. It really is pot-luck.

template off your old screen, ask the windscreen guy to let you put the vinyl on before he puts the new screen in

Easier to wait until the screen is in. I have the original template that I made, so its just a case of tracing the outline of that onto the back of the vinyl, cut it with scissors and then spray the inside of the windscreen with some soapy water and put the vinyl on...the soapy water means it doesn't stick instantly, giving time to remove air bubbles and slide around to get the right position, then squeegee it to remove the water and that's it. The template I made butts up against the edge of the rear view mirror housing, so is relatively easy to position.

Regarding the location of the vinyl, it's not a problem, due to the way it fits against the mirror housing, but what is a pain is to get the camera mount stuck in the correct position on the vinyl - for that instance you make a good suggestion to template that bit of the install. Crack is at least 12 inches now, so not going to be able to delay it for much longer! Mother in law keeps asking what I want for Christmas, perhaps I should ask her to pay the insurance excess for a new screen!

So I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass.

I was told it would be the same as an OEM screen. It is not!

On the old screen, the little black dots around the rear view mirror were embedded inside the glass, which meant my vinyl stuck perfectly to the glass and gave the perfect finish. On the replacement glass, those dots are on the surface and slightly raised, which means the vinyl wont stick perfectly without these dots showing as little air pockets! Not happy! Have asked them to replace it...but I know thats not going to happen!

So, my options are:
Forget the vinyl and just stick direct to glass. Which looks sh1t.

Fit vinyl with the little bubbles. Looks sh1t.

Move the camera further left, meaning I don't need the cable tidy and no dots are present (I think), and use a smaller bit of vinyl.

If I move it left it will be way off centre, is this an issue?

In the UK you're quite limited regards placement by MOT regulations- check those first as the new location may not be permitted (plus it also needs wiper coverage there) ;) If those are OK then being off-center isn't a really big issue as almost all cams will still have enough 'view' to do their intended job.

Was this an insurance job or self-pay? Insurers almost always have a clause in the policy allowing them to use aftermarket parts which they deem to be functionally equivalent to factory parts. You can't get past that one, but if you paid and you asked for a factory replacement part they may be compelled to give you that. Again the devil is in the details and the work order may have specified otherwise leaving you screwed. You're not the first person who has experienced this- you really gotta be careful these days.

Phil

Thats a good point regarding the law and wiper coverage, hadn't thought of those.

It was an insurance job. I've heard of people demanding OEM glass before, but when they said it was the same as OEM I was happy. Granted, it in no way impacts the purpose of the screen and in most cases you wouldn't even notice, its just due to my specific application that it's an issue, and I doubt they will care about that (why should they?).

Due to the road I use I expect more chips/replacements so will make sure I stipulate flat dots next time.

I'm sure I'll come up with a solution that is aesthetically pleasing.

@Blackdog Have you any scrap bits of vinyl you could test with? Fit a small bit over the dots and pop the air bubbles with something sharp and see if that will look any better?

I still have the whole role of it, so yes, I have plenty to test with.

I have cut a small patch to try, but it doesn't seem as sticky as I remember it....i'm hoping thats due to the temperature this time of year.

I haven't got as far as using a hair dryer on it yet.

I think my next step is to try heating it, hoping the adhesive will get more tacky and the vinyl itself might be more pliable.

On the old screen, the little black dots around the rear view mirror were embedded inside the glass ... On the replacement glass, those dots are on the surface and slightly raised ...
This corresponds with my recent experience when a failed stone chip repair by Nationwide Motorglass necessitated a windscreen replacement. The new heated screen is by Pilkington. The slightly raised dots don't bother me, & my dashcam isn't mounted on them anyway. A welcome bonus is that GPS reception on my phone has improved since the new screen was installed.

The windscreen cover from your Insurer may be similar to mine - 'No excess for windscreen repair. For replacement we will pay the full replacement cost less a £75 excess if one of our approved repairers is used, otherwise the excess is £125 and the maximum amount we will pay is £125'.

Sounds like your replacement screen is also different to OEM as I think the GPS reception is due to coatings that they apply to the glass. My issue with the dots is relating to the vinyl not sticking perfectly, so that it looks neat from outside (see my pictures earlier in this thread). I've read some window-tinting forums which say they normally use vinyl to cover these areas (but for them this isn't idea as they really need to see through the film!). My vinyl didn't work, but as I said, it might be temperature related.

Also checked the screen last night for the alternative location I mentioned....it is not within the wiper reach, so would be pointless. My problem is that due to my rear-view mirror housing, if I put the camera right next to it without the cable tidy, then the right side of the footage is blocked by the mirror housing! So I have to put it lower down the screen, which is why I need the cable tidy.

My glass is unbranded. There is some black text in the lower left corner like normal, but it isn't branded like Pilkington etc.

Yes, my insurance sounds similar. I think a repair is £25 excess and the windscreen £75. If I use someone else for the windscreen, then I think the most they will pay is £125 (so by the time you've paid the £75 excess, you are only really gaining £50).

I've been away awhile and I mostly caught myself up with some skim reading. Sorry to hear about your windshield. How was removal of your cam with it stuck to the vinyl?

Both of my cams are stuck to vinyl and actually the very first one I did was placed over the dots at the top of the windshield by the mirror and my dots are raised. I want to say the tiny air pockets around them disappeared not long after the vinyl cured. It just takes some hot days (or a blow dryer.) and it will shrink up around it. If your that picky, you can use a needle, pop the air pockets and push the air out. (I installed vinyl on vehicles and windows and when we came to a screw head/bolt, that's exactly what we did to get the vinyl to wrap and shrink around it nicely.)

Ah, your post gives me hope! Must admit, it has been cold weather, and I wasn't in the mood for perseverance at the time, so didn't really spend much time on it. Hopefully with some heat it will work then. Your experience sounds good. From the outside, could you notice the dots when it had all dried? My aim is to have the vinyl look as OEM as possible, just like the black they put on for the rear view mirror etc, so no visible bubbles etc.

Without Vinyl:

With Vinyl (the shade of black is slightly different, but it looked close enough in real life):

Regarding the removal from the vinyl, I would say it was equally as difficult to get the mount off the vinyl as it was originally off the glass when I first got the camera. It is stuck on with 3M double sided tape and I used a piece of string to "saw" through it, but it was still hard work! I tried to remove the vinyl, but it just wouldn't come off....I tried to get my fingernail under the edge etc, but couldn't get any to lift, so I am confident that will never move!

Last edited:
No dots were noticeable once the vinyl cured. Though I haven't really looked closely since a month or so after installing. Even if the dots were noticeable it would still look better than the grey 3m tape on the backside of the mount I use. :)

Did you heat the vinyl before trying to remove it? I know it sounds crazy, but heating it not only helps it cure and stick and shrink, but it also helps in the removal process. I removed large amounts of vinyl from the outside of vehicles and while I needed other tools, heat helped it come off in 1 large piece vs. tiny little pieces.

Didn't heat it. I didn't actually need it, as I have a template to cut a new piece.

Ohh, it wouldn't have been reusable or even used as a template as it would have stretched out, it just peels off more easily when hot.

quick video (4 min or so) of how I installed my thinkware F770 in my truck with a truck topper for the rear cam, skip to 2:25 if you want to skip the part of me talking about why i choose this cam. i really just made the video to show people on tacomaworld.com how you can wire the rear cam wire under the truck and to the back tailgate if you have a truck topper.

Mobius 2, VIOFO A119S, SG9665GC

Mt 003.png

All hidden behind the IRVM from my line of sight

Mt 004.png

This is as far up as they'll go without the dotted area coming into the FOV. The adjustable lenses for both the SG9665GC and A119S are clicked into the 2nd lowest slot . Quite inconspicuous, most of the time.

Mt 001.png

Last edited:
Here is my Mobius mounting solution for the rear windshield.
Great idea and thank you for the pictures. How did you attach the mount securely to the roof? Thanks.

Mobius 2, VIOFO A119S, SG9665GC

View attachment 28652

All hidden behind the IRVM from my line of sight

View attachment 28653

This is as far up as they'll go without the dotted area coming into the FOV. The adjustable lenses for both the SG9665GC and A119S are clicked into the 2nd lowest slot . Quite inconspicuous, most of the time.

View attachment 28654
Have you done any 1080p60 side-by-side comparison between the A119S and Mobius2?

Back