Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

I searched a little and found a lens extension cable designed for the 808 #16 camera. 24 pins. I decided to give it a try, it costs only 6$. - http://goo.gl/NBrVbu

Very interesting indeed :)
Good to see there are more cams that allow a lens-extension.
I went for the mobius for that reason, if i'd known it was also possible with the GT680W I would have gone with that one instead as it allows me to use a 15" or even 25" extension instead of the 8" for the mobius.

Maybe I'll swap the mobius for a GT680W, it will allow me to do the install I had in mind and also the mobius seems to have a negative effect on my radio-reception.

Hi guys,

Two months ago, I bought a GT680W. Even though it's a pretty small camera, you can easily see it from outside the car.
I saw Techmoan's video about the Mobius lens extension cable and decided to do the same with my 680.
Unlike the Mobius, the 680's lens ribbon connector only has 24 pins (26 for the Mobius).

I searched a little and found a lens extension cable designed for the 808 #16 camera. 24 pins. I decided to give it a try, it costs only 6$. - http://goo.gl/NBrVbu

Three weeks later, the cable was here. Opened the camera, tested (without big expectations) and... it worked. No visual artifacts, no quality loss, perfect. (at 1080p 30fps).

CU8c6DO.jpg

I sometimes use a different car, so I had to figure out a mounting solution that would allow me to easily take the camera off the windshield and mount it in the other car.

I used the high density foam that came with the 680 (the protection in the box) and a GoPro quick release buckle. http://goo.gl/3p8Uou

In order to attach the quick release to the "lens case", I carved three small grooves in the foam and inserted it (upside down). It's really strong, doesn't move, the video does not shake at all.

03e0NY7.jpg

1c119rn.jpg

Now I can unmount the lens and the body of the 680 in a few seconds. The body is attached to the windshield dotted area with dual lock 3M velcro.
And, of course, I hid the gps and charging cables.

7qIsMqE.jpg

Here's a link with all the pictures : http://imgur.com/a/ylQiP
The camera is almost invisible from the outside now. :)

Great job and nice finding about #18 extension cable compability. You should link your great job into DIY project and Seezeus GT680W sub-forums. A lot of people would like this.

Have you considered:

- build in a lens into mirror arm surrounding housing

-add a capacitor instead of battery like @Dashmellow did

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gt680w-super-capacitor-stealth-mod.5292/#post-62715

I went for the mobius for that reason, if i'd known it was also possible with the GT680W I would have gone with that one instead as it allows me to use a 15" or even 25" extension instead of the 8" for the mobius.

Maybe I'll swap the mobius for a GT680W, it will allow me to do the install I had in mind...

Mobius maximum cable length is 8" because longer cables result in unacceptable signal / image quality degradation. GT680W is unlikely to differ in this respect.

Yes, Lulian did a great job with adding an extension to the GT680 and I'm inspired enough by the idea to try it at some point. You know, I'll bet the 15 inch or even 25 inch extension cables designed for the 808 #16 could work. This could open up a lot of very interesting possibilities for where to mount the camera "base unit" or the lens itself. It would be interesting to find out if Russ' comment applies to the 680 and could be worth the risk of a purchase of a longer cable.

Last edited:
Great job and nice finding about #18 extension cable compability. You should link your great job into DIY project and Seezeus GT680W sub-forums. A lot of people would like this.

Have you considered:

- build in a lens into mirror arm surrounding housing

-add a capacitor instead of battery like @Dashmellow did

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gt680w-super-capacitor-stealth-mod.5292/#post-62715

Thanks,

Yes, I thought about somehow putting the lens inside the mirror arm cover but remembered that i sometimes need my dashcam in a different car.
In my situation, that wouldn't be practical. As it is set now, I only have to "slide out" the lens from the GoPro quick mount and to detach the body of the dashcam from the windshield. It only takes a couple of seconds. I have the same setup in the other car. (quick release plate and 3M dual lock velcro)

I'm thinking about searching a different mounting spot or lens housing shape, in order to get the lens as close to the windshield as I can, to remove the reflections.

I've read Dashmellow's topic about the superCap this morning, that's awesome. Pretty sure I'll do something similar when the finals period will be over.

Iulian, that is an amazing mod! Hmmm. I am thinking maybe I can use one as a backup camera, using HDMI with a 7" or 5" lilliput monitor...well, I can dream about that anyways. :)

Hi guys,

Two months ago, I bought a GT680W. Even though it's a pretty small camera, you can easily see it from outside the car.
I saw Techmoan's video about the Mobius lens extension cable and decided to do the same with my 680.
Unlike the Mobius, the 680's lens ribbon connector only has 24 pins (26 for the Mobius).

Hi all, I have a rear view mirror that is beige in color. Should I mount the DVR (black in color) directly behind the rear view mirror or is there an alternative place on the windscreen to mount the DVR? How do I overcome the beige and black contrasting colors?

Hi all, I have a rear view mirror that is beige in color. Should I mount the DVR (black in color) directly behind the rear view mirror or is there an alternative place on the windscreen to mount the DVR? How do I overcome the beige and black contrasting colors?

I think its much easier to paint rearview mirror into black than painting dashcam into beige.

I suggest you paint the rearview mirror black, I did that as well!
In my previous car, but also in my current car.
regarding placement, just make sure the cam sees enough. and better place it highest as possible and tilt down (to prevent incorrect auto brightness due to the sky).

plastidip

Rear-facing mini 0801 mounted to the back of a rear passenger seat headrest. From outside its very discrete and hard to see against the headrest - The photo was taken with a flash and the rear hatch open so it stands out more,

Do guys think a camera with a 2.7 inch lcd is too big? I'm looking for a more discrete camera, however the one that I want has 2.7 lcd. Thanks.

Do guys think a camera with a 2.7 inch lcd is too big? I'm looking for a more discrete camera, however the one that I want has 2.7 lcd. Thanks.

A 2.7 inch LCD is not necessarily too big. For example, the Shadow GT680W is really quite a small camera that can be mounted fairly discreetly yet it has a 2.7 inch screen. It has front profile dimensions that are nearly the same as a Mini 0803. (slightly larger)

Last edited:
My sun visor in the middle of the windshield won't stick to the suction cup so I had to place it underneath the visor which makes it for visible, any suggestion on how to make it more discrete? Is there anyway to place the suction cup on the visor without it falling off? Thanks guys.

My sun visor in the middle of the windshield won't stick to the suction cup so I had to place it underneath the visor which makes it for visible, any suggestion on how to make it more discrete? Is there anyway to place the suction cup on the visor without it falling off? Thanks guys.

Not sure exactly what you are describing. When you say "sun visor in the middle of the windshield" are you talking about the raised black dots? Perhaps you could post a photo.

Not sure exactly what you are describing. When you say "sun visor in the middle of the windshield" are you talking about the raised black dots? Perhaps you could post a photo.

Sorry that's what I meant the black dots in the middle of my windshield. I'll post some pictures up later but any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sorry that's what I meant the black dots in the middle of my windshield. I'll post some pictures up later but any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

One option is to use a "permanent" 3M tape style mount and have the camera's lens "peeking" out just below the raised dots. This usually works well to hide everything else. (Not sure if a tape mount comes with or is available for your G90.) There are also a number of clever DIY options people have come up with for securing the suction mount on the raised dotted area and you can read all about them in the DIY Projects forum - "Mounting Suction mount to "dimpled / dotted" area of wind-shield by using CAP from "Pringles". Similar to Niko's Pringles can cap mount some people also just use clear tape or clear plastic adhesive laminate material over the raised dots to facilitate good suction in a discreet way.

Last edited by a moderator:
ma blackvue. just ordered the 36mm magfilter, i really hope it doesnt hit my glass because my civic has a very steep windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 143
I'm having a hard time finding the double sided tape; could you please send a link?

Back