which dashcams support http(s) connection for download

coyote

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi,
I'm looking for dashcams with http(s) support. The aim is to offload footage when car is in wifi range.
The camera has to be configured to connect to an existing WiFi network

So far I managed to identify the BlackVue Cloud models.

Any suggestions I should be looking at??

Thanks

WIFI in all cameras on the market now seem to be pretty slow, doable if you are just going to DL a single file now and then, hours if you are going to Dl the entire memory card.

As it is now i can not recommend wifi cameras for more than making setting changes.

If you drive a lot prepare to be buying hard-drives often, a dashcam generally generate around 100 Mb for each minute of recording, saving or even backing up all your footage seem silly to me.

I know all the cons of using Wifi for uploading footage, the alternative is worse: me struggling with memory cards in three cars.. That is simply not going to happen.

well ideally you will hardly ever need to take out the SD card.
I dont drive much, but some times i captured some idiot driver i just have to share it on youtube, and in that case i do have to retrieve the memory card.
But if i did not do that i would hardly ever touch my cameras, my 2 side cameras for instance those i only touch every 3 months or so, for the most its just the front camera ( grab memory card ) or rear camera ( grab whole camera as its mounted with a magnet )
A dual camera ( front and rear ) saving on a single memory card are so going to make it more easy for me when i have to grab footage, several of us old timers have launched the little memory card and some have lost it for ever.
In regard to your question i am not aware of others than the blackvue you mention as i have little personal interest in such features, but lets see, maybe some of the other guys can come up with other brand/models.

Some guys here report that the blackvue cameras are lacking a little in IQ, seem like you cant have fancy features and good IQ at the same time.

Also you might have to put up a wifi extender, the wifi in the dashcams are pretty weak and inside a metal box, but it depend off course of your layout of car parking spot Vs wifi router placement in your house.
Not the biggest problem, but just something to be aware off.

You will not find it with the current crop of consumer dash cams. It would require custom software and this is the weakest point of all dash cam shops.
1. Most (if not all) cams with Wi-Fi are configured in station (AP) mode, for this to work it would have to be configurable to also support client mode.
2. Most cams are powered from cig. lighter adapter that shuts the camera off when ignition is off. Your camera would have to be hardwired and powered on to transfer your data to the server.

It is doable, but not in the current landscape where small shops are depended on chip makers to write the firmware.

I am sure this functionality is available for fleets or commercial drivers - I'm also sure you will pay for it.

Great can be to have ONVIF.

enjoy,
Mtz

I got specs on new cameras from the factory in China that some me my PTZ camera, one of their new 4K models ( regular camera ) can do a whopping 240 FPS at 1080p o_O

Wish i was able to buy a new PTZ camera, the one i have are beginning to show signs of quitting ( drift out of focus and movent in image dont trigger focus correction, only happen when i move camera a little )

Plus i would really like a starvis camera as the back yead have been equipped with a nice bright LED light with a PIR sensor that go off as soon as a person just think about entering the back yard.

Plus track and zoom would be nice to have cuz then i could leave camera zoomed all the way out for guarding the whole back yard and not just my own car, and the camera would then track and zoom on anyone moving back there.

But proprieties are not for that so the old one just have to soldier on till it go dark, and then i have to think fast / get some money fast.

Yes, and it can have a setting for parking mode to work as Wi-Fi client. In this way the camera needs to stay only in stand by mode because the image transmitted to the home DVR is recorded on its HDD.
This parking mode to have two options, to record on camera card or just to broadcast the image.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, and it can have a setting for parking mode to work as Wi-Fi client. In this way the camera needs to stay only in stand by mode because the image transmitted to the home DVR is recorded on its HDD.
This parking mode to have two options, to record on camera card or just to broadcast the image.

enjoy,
Mtz

does this exist?

This camera does not exists but maybe some manufacturer will read here and understand that the feature described by me is interesting.

enjoy,
Mtz

This camera does not exists but maybe some manufacturer will read here and understand that the feature described by me is interesting.

enjoy,
Mtz

I really think the ideal camera for driving and the ideal camera for parking mode/monitoring use are two different cameras, not sure there's enough of a market to support a dedicated parking mode product just yet though

Because B1W is using a CCTV chipset made by Grain Media, I asked BlueSkySea if they can implement also the ONVIF because I am sure that the code is already there because almost all CCTV cameras supports ONVIF. They said that it needs more memory and generate too much heat for their actual configuration.
The idea is to use about 0.2A from the dashcam to save the car battery but also the memory card space if the recording will be made on the home DVR. I know there are small chances that the car to be so close to the drivers house Wi-Fi coverage, but is more important to have ideas than not to have, because some of them will become reality and this means progress.

enjoy,
Mtz

I really think the ideal camera for driving and the ideal camera for parking mode/monitoring use are two different cameras, not sure there's enough of a market to support a dedicated parking mode product just yet though

And remember when we discussed how it would be ideal to have a dedicated camera for daylight driving and another for night driving? :D Probably not enough of a market for that either. :(

And remember when we discussed how it would be ideal to have a dedicated camera for daylight driving and another for night driving? :D Probably not enough of a market for that either. :(

they would be more closely related and not as hard to do, still too new a market though I think

Once again it's clear, the perfect cam can never be built at an affordable price, and every choice will be a compromise :rolleyes: Good to keep trying for it though ;)

Phil

Once again it's clear, the perfect cam can never be built at an affordable price, and every choice will be a compromise :rolleyes: Good to keep trying for it though ;)

the perfect camera can never be built irrespective of price, what's perfect for you may be irrelevant to someone else (I'm sure this is not news to anyone), as long as there is choice and we are progressing forward then that's still a good thing

Once again it's clear, the perfect cam can never be built at an affordable price, and every choice will be a compromise
Really? You are not dreaming enough! :eek:

@jokiin You know that you posted some image few months ago about a chinese wedge dashcam which claimed to be 360 degrees if the lens was pointed down. They were advertising it wrong with the lens pointed to the front. :ROFLMAO:

Before continue to read, please look 30 seconds at this video which is made with a $30 chinese 360 degrees CCTV camera, just to imagine its costs to offer a 360 degrees image maybe using the same lens as the chinese wedge 360 degrees dashcam.

Just imagine one of your Street Guardian wedge model with a front lens like it is now. Under it, a 360 degrees lens pointed down. When camera entering in parking mode just the bottom lens to offer image, a 360 degrees one. You can even mount IR lights pointed inside the car. Bang, the king of the parking mode camera with a 360 degrees coverage! :love: Just the power of dreaming! :alien: Nobody can destroy it with any arguments against it! :coffee:

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
something like that might be suitable as a parking camera, I don't think it can be built into a regular camera as a secondary function easily though

Yes, I can imagine that the firmware needs much more work to switch from a normal situation to a 360 degrees situation just based on the power input. The main problem if this will depend only about chipset manufacturers, because if they can accept this working mode, a smart firmware engineer can implement it. I observed that Novatek are much more opened to ideas compared to Ambarella, so if the dual camera chipsets exists already then Novatek engineers can have a new task.
Yes, I know, compared to firmware engineering can be cheaper to have two PCB inside the same camera, two cards and which PCB to work decided by the power input. Or even to work both at the same time only when driving. You know that some people want here cameras for every car window.
Maybe your hardwire kit which is in working progress will be good for this future camera. ;)

enjoy,
Mtz

Back