Which is best for cold weather?

rd Canuck

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
mini 0803
Hi,

Living in Canada and I park my truck outdoors. The winters are plenty cold (-20 C not uncommon) and the summers are hot.
I am coming from a dead mini 0803 and like the small size and GPS. Which Street Guardian model would serve me best as a set it and forget type of cam? I am leaning towards the 9665GC.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also consider the SGZC12RC, though no GPS option.

Thanks for the video review. I had not thought about remote cameras but the lack of GPS is a no go for me.

Last edited:
I guess I should have been clearer in my original post: which Street Guardian unit would be best? It seems like there are only two choices for me:
SG9665GC, or
SGZC12SG -V2

I have read many posts but they stretch back over a year in some cases so it is hard to decipher what is the most current specifications. Other than the obvious form factor differences, are they equal units or is one superior to the other?

I'd assume the SGZC12RC would fare better due to the fact most of the electronics won't be exposed to the cold windshield. At least that's my take on it.

I used the Panorama G and X2 over last winter with no issues to report, but it doesn't get as cold as -20C over here - at those sorts of temperatures it's not just the camera you need to worry about but also the charger as there were quite a few reports on here of various Chinese chargers which don't work in those sorts of temps and no matter what temp the cam is good for if the charger doesn't work it's game over.

I've never seen a camera have more attention paid to the charger component as the SG9665GC and loads of cameras out there come with crap chargers that give up the ghost after a few months (I had a Shadow GT680W that gave up the ghost and it just turned out the charger went bad after six months or so).

I've never seen a camera have more attention paid to the charger component as the SG9665GC and loads of cameras out there come with crap chargers that give up the ghost after a few months.

Funny you should say that, we've just updated it again actually, this is the fourth version now with our latest production, not just the charger though as we've fine tuned quite a lot of things with each production run

Try consult @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert here if you are from Canada. I bought my SGZC12RC from him. Highly recommended CDC.
Thanks. I was planning on buying from CDC but didn't realize that they had a presence on this forum. I will reach out.
It looks like I have a few days to make up my mind as stock is out right now but they expect some any day now.

From Jokiin's reply, it appears that both units are the same for cold weather so I can put that issue aside. Could anyone offer advice as to whether or not one model is significantly superior to the other (in reference to SG9665GC,or SGZC12SG -V2) other than form factor? In other words, if shape did not matter, does one win over the other?

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Up in Calgary Alberta we commonly get to -30 W/O Windchill to -50 with a windchill and have yet to have a camera returned because of the cold weather. That being said the cameras performance is impacted for this first few minutes of running after a "cold" boot. But nearly every driver will start their vehicle, and let it warm up before driving. While doing this, they are blowing warm air onto their windshield to defrost which helps to warm up the camera too.

The SG9665GC is defiantly sells more then the SGZC12SG for us.

The SG9665GC= Very small and extreme discreet form factor- Very good if you want a camera that no-one will ever notice. GPS via a included external receiver. 135° Wide angle lens. Supports up to 64GB MicroSD Card.

The SGZC12SG= Each toGPS is built into the mount, 154° Super Wide Angle. Full Size SD card. Much more flexible when it comes to aiming then the 9665. Supports up to 512GB Full-size SD card.

Both use the Sony IMX322 CMOS Image sensor, however the SG9665GC uses the Novatek 96655 processor and the SGZC12SG uses the Zoran Coach 12p Processor.

I can't really speak for which one produces a superior video, as from what I have seen they both produce a very similar image, aside from the 12SG having a slightly wider angle lens.

Thanks Robert. Exactly the info I was looking for. I am placing an order with you for the SG9665GC.
I see that you do not have stock yet, any updated ETA?

Thanks Robert. Exactly the info I was looking for. I am placing an order with you for the SG9665GC.
I see that you do not have stock yet, any updated ETA?

they're due to clear customs in the USA on the 14th, Canada stock should be a couple of days later

I'm in Quebec and we'll get nights that'll dip down to -40 so I'll see how my sg9665gc holds up.

Back