Why are dashcams video quality still so bad?

Never let it be said that opinions can be changed by facts - they either get ignored, twisted, or rationalized. I'm bored - moving on to something more interesting...
deadhorse.gif

I find it most amusing @c4rc4m that you conveniently omitted a single sentence from my post above which you otherwise quote in its entirety.

I guess I will have to indulge then in quoting myself:

Time and time again you seem to indulge in an increasingly absurd amount of grandiloquent verbiage that never seems to amount to much or actually prove any useful point.

I keep wondering what is the purpose of this absurd level of verbosity? You've clearly outdone yourself this time. Considering how often on these pages you engage in this kind of thing and the fact that I can find no evidence that you have ever had anything positive to say about anything or anyone here on the forums I am starting to posit that it is some odd form of trolling or perhaps some other pathology. Whatever the explanation may be, count me out as I have better ways to spend my time on this forum; a conclusion apparently being reached by others.

Never mind the bollocks........

Phil

I'll remember to drop in on the BBC next time I'm passing and let them know they've wasted all that money buying GoPro's for filming Top Gear when they could have just killed road safety and filming all in one by buying dashcams instead.

I'll remember to drop in on the BBC next time I'm passing and let them know they've wasted all that money buying GoPro's for filming Top Gear when they could have just killed road safety and filming all in one by buying dashcams instead.

GoPro (camera bodies) are very common in the broadcast television industry

GoPro (camera bodies) are very common in the broadcast television industry

Not only that but many GoPros used in broadcast are highly customized with specialized lenses, firmware, housings and other accessories.

And comparing GoPro action cameras used for relatively short term cinematic television captures to dash cams that need to run day in and day out looping for hours on end with very different capture requirements is a fools errand.

Not only that but many GoPros used in broadcast are highly customized with specialized lenses, firmware, housings and other accessories.....

yes, that's why I mentioned GoPro bodies are quite common, GoPro lenses not so much
Aww, c'mon now!!! That can't be true!?!? Next you're going to try and tell me the differences between these two Toyotas is more than just the paint!?!? :confused::eek:

Camry1.jpg Camry2.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

looking for a piece of the action I guess

Well, highly reliable real time HD broadcast capabilities are a big deal in broadcast TV, especially for sports. It seems a logical area for GoPro to invest in.

Last edited:
Well, highly reliable real time HD broadcast capabilities are a big deal in broadcast TV, specially for sports. It seems a logical area for GoPro to invest in.

considering the competition they face these days from consumer level products it's probably an area they should have pushed into much sooner considering how long people have been using modified GoPro cameras for film and TV work

You'll find the BBC use standard GoPros for most applications.

Anyway, discussion over. We established using an action cam for the past 6 years has been a figment of my imagination. My car has burnt down, the battery has failed, and the quality in the day was so bad that cyclists and number plates disappeared into a black hole in the video along with the cylons. All hail the dashcam, the answer to everything and the only way you can ever film anything in a car.

Last edited:
A well designed and well made dash camera using a super-capacitor, a lens and housing of the appropriate focal length built to handle temperatures extremes and firmware designed for loop cycling, on the fly file locking and other specialized dash cam functionalities may not be the only way to film in an automobile but it is certainly the best method.

why would a tv show using gopro's to film a show have anything to do with dashcams? i dont think anyone here is suggesting you can't film stuff with gopros, but if you want to film for the purpose of protecting yourself in the event of an accident of course a dash cam is the preferred choice here on a dash cam site. the time you forget to turn your gopro on or are too lazy because you are just running to the store real quick could be the time you get in an accident and really needed the camera rolling. but of course a $400 gopro designed for capturing action with the best quality video possible in a handheld size is gonna have higher quality video.

I use a few gopro clones (sjcam 4000, blackview action cam) for filming special footage for example two weekends ago:

But i have to mount those each time, they don't start recording until I hit the record button, and they don't loop (well these CAN loop and be used like dashcams, more so than a gopro even, but I don't put them in that setting). they record videos for entertainment not for insurance reasons. I use those cams for their purpose, capturing action. but I would never use them as a permanent dash cam solution, nor would I use a gopro because they are inconvenient to use every single day each drive I take.

but hey, if you have no problem using a gopro then go for it. even if everyone here says its a bad idea, if it works for you then it works for you. Basically you are giving up what most here consider fundamental features of a dashcam for the best quality footage you can get and thats your prerogative. Its sort of like how I will give up video quality for automatic parking mode. we all got our needs.

Back