Why does the A119 GPS module change the location of the power input?

cribbit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was really happy to see that the A119 has its USB port on the side rather than the top as this allows for the wedge to be mounted as high as possible on the windshield. However, adding the GPS module moves power input to the top again, which seems silly. Was this just an oversight by them? Any chance of a updated GPS module that has power on the side?

Don't forget, if you mount the camera too high it might be outside the sweep of the wiper blades when it rains.

Don't forget, if you mount the camera too high it might be outside the sweep of the wiper blades when it rains.

I drive a Chevy Volt, which has an impressive range of its wiper blades - I'd have to remove my rear view mirror and put the dash cam there for the blades to not cover it.

Definitely a good tip though, I hadn't thought of that before and I had to go outside to check my current mount wasn't too high!

I was really happy to see that the A119 has its USB port on the side rather than the top as this allows for the wedge to be mounted as high as possible on the windshield. However, adding the GPS module moves power input to the top again, which seems silly. Was this just an oversight by them? Any chance of a updated GPS module that has power on the side?
You can still use the side port. I believe that will still power the GPS. Also, you can always get a 90 degree adapter. I put them in with all the A119's I sell.

The best solution could be side connection + angled USB cable.

enjoy,
Mtz

You can still use the side port. I believe that will still power the GPS. Also, you can always get a 90 degree adapter. I put them in with all the A119's I sell.
According to estore009 the power must go to the GPS or it will not receive power.

The angled USB can be used also for the top connector of USB mount. In my car I have an angled USB and it works with all cameras I tested. Angled USB should be the standard for all dashcams. There is no reason to have a side connector on camera with a straight connector, is just stupid.

enjoy,
Mtz

Connector placement is partly due to circuit board & circuit design; it can be challenging to move it elsewhere without adding to the cam's dimensions. As with most today's electronics, everything that can be mounted to one board will be mounted thus as it increases reliability and reduces manufacturing costs. Using a discrete connector port would at least double assembly time and cost while greatly increasing the rate of non-functional units needing to be rectified before selling. It's not that the manufacturer's don't think or care, they just have to compromise some things to be business-competitive ;)

Phil

I also think the connector location is unfortunate (for GB users).

I'm about to buy the A119 non-GPS, but wanted to utilise my current flat usb cable, which isn't angled but seems to be the only I could find, that I manage to hide under my '15 reg citroen c4 hatchback panels. If I choose to place the A119 off centre, behind the mirror casing, then the only option would be to go for a GPS version or find angled cable? I don't think I will be able to hide it under, as mobius below.

PS. I no longer use the mobius because it's died sometime ago, g1wh now.

IMG_20160403_170509.jpg

Back