Windscreen/rear dash cam mount fixing.

cheddarman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easy question, has anybody found a permanent method to fix the supplied dash cam mounts.
As supplied they usually fall off after a few weeks/months.
I've got two Nextbase cams and both keep falling off!!

Am uk based and never had any issues with the supplied sticky stuff sticking to front and rear

Easy question, has anybody found a permanent method to fix the supplied dash cam mounts.
As supplied they usually fall off after a few weeks/months.
I've got two Nextbase cams and both keep falling off!!
Not using 3m vhb tape?

Suction mounts always fall off eventually.
Sticky pads never fall off, unless they are really cheap and nasty ones.

Your mistake is probably whatever you clean the glass with, before attaching the sticky mount.
Sticky pads like pure glass, no polish, no road grease, no chemicals.
Just clean the glass with a tiny amount of detergent and water, or maybe alcohol if you have no detergent, then polish it with a clean paper towel until nothing more will come off. Then stick the sticky pad on, making sure it is in the right place first time - mark the position before removing the protective film if necessary. It will never come off again!

3M VHB tape, which is the adhesive that comes with your camera requires time to bond properly with the surface it is mounted on before one should apply any weight to it such as hanging your camera. Bond time is dependent on temperature.

Additionally, glass can be one of the more challenging surfaces to apply this kind of tape. Moisture can especially be a problem on windscreens due to condensation and good adhesion according to 3M can sometime require an adhesion promoter, although most dash cam users don't use them.

"Glass, stone, ceramic or other siliceous materials are hydrophilic (water-loving) by nature. Normally, the hydrophilic nature makes pressure sensitive adhesive bond durability susceptible to change under high humidity or exposure to moisture. In basic terms, water vapor can undercut the tape bond and interfere with the normal adhesion forces. Silane coupling agents, added to the IPA/water cleaning solution, can help reduce the “water-loving” tendency of these surfaces and enhance the tape bond in high moisture environments."

Definitely, get the glass as clean and dry as possible and apply during periods of warmer temperatures. Wait at least 12, and as much as 72 hours for full bonding before hanging your dash cam depending upon temperature.

VHB_bond.jpg

Surface Preparation for 3M™ VHB™ Tape Applications

Last edited:
Definitely, get the glass as clean and dry as possible and apply during periods of warmer temperatures.
Or looking at the storm warning for tomorrow, Storm Agnus looks very wet, so a hairdryer to get the glass warm and dry might be desirable!

Or looking at the storm warning for tomorrow, Storm Agnus looks very wet, so a hairdryer to get the glass warm and dry might be desirable!

Yes, that would be a good plan for the application of the tape. The question would be whether you can keep the temperature warm enough and the humidity low enough for at least the next 12 hours or so to allow for the bond to set. Depends of the conditions brought by the storm.

Yes, that would be a good plan for the application of the tape. The question would be whether you can keep the temperature warm enough and the humidity low enough for at least the next 12 hours or so to allow for the bond to set. Depends of the conditions brought by the storm.
Looking at your graph, if you use the hairdryer then you only need 20 minutes to reach 80% strength, instead of 72+ hours at outdoor temperatures.

Looking at your graph, if you use the hairdryer then you only need 20 minutes to reach 80% strength, instead of 72+ hours at outdoor temperatures.

Good luck with that approach. You are more likely to turn the tape into a sticky mess. They are talking about ambient, stable temperatures over time until the bond sets, not cooking the damned thing.

So which is the correct VHB tape for this (dash cam) application? There are dozens of them!! Bear with me, just turned 85!!!

So which is the correct VHB tape for this (dash cam) application? There are dozens of them!! Bear with me, just turned 85!!!

The most common VHB type that usually ships with dash cams is #5952 (black). It comes in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and widths. (Check Amazon) As an aftermarket replacement product you can also purchase it in rolls of various widths and lengths such as 1 inch or 3/4 inches wide and use two or more strips placed side by side and trimmed carefully to the size of your dash cam mount using a sharp scissors or craft knife. I used to purchase it in two inch wide rolls which is ideal for dash cam mounts but at least here in the USA it has become hard to find in that size. I did find it in a bigger roll on Amazon but it is fairly pricey in longer length rolls. Any of the #59 series should work. The difference is the thickness of the foam substrate, but 1.1mm works well.

VHB.jpg

Last edited:
The most common VHB type that usually ships with dash cams is #5952 (black). It comes is a wide variety of shapes, sizes and widths. (Check Amazon) As an aftermarket replacement product you can purchase it in rolls of various widths and lengths such as 1 inch or 3/4 inches wide and use two or more strips placed side by side and trimmed carefully to the size of your dash cam mount using a sharp scissors or craft knife. I used to purchase it in two inch wide rolls which is ideal for dash cam mounts but at least here in the USA it has become hard to find in that size. I did find it in a bigger roll on Amazon but it is fairly pricey in longer length rolls. Any of the #59 series should work. The difference is the thickness of the foam substrate, but 1.1mm is optimal.

View attachment 67845
No wonder they never come off in the years I've used them. 149 and 121 degrees Celsius !

Good luck with that approach. You are more likely to turn the tape into a sticky mess. They are talking about ambient, stable temperatures over time until the bond sets, not cooking the damned thing.
Using heat to make the tape a sticky mess is the idea, it allows the glue to flow faster into all the imperfections on the surface of the glass. The purpose of the heat is not to cause the glue to set.

I would just warm the glass though, to dry the surface and ensure that moisture doesn't condense back onto it while applying the tape, which does happen when you breathe near cool glass.

I have a heat gun and the pads I bought come with IPA wipes so hopefully put together it'll solve the problem!!

I have a heat gun and the pads I bought come with IPA wipes so hopefully put together it'll solve the problem!!
If you are using a heat gun on glass, be very careful not to apply too much heat! Hairdryers are petty safe, heat guns can easily crack the glass.
I do recomend detergent (fairy liquid) before the IPA, you need to remove any grease and wax/synthetic polish that is on there, and given that you have had problems in the past, there probably is a fair amount of something anti-stick.

The purpose of the heat is not to cause the glue to set.

I would just warm the glass though, to dry the surface and ensure that moisture doesn't condense back onto it while applying the tape, which does happen when you breathe near cool glass.

First you said you want to use the hairdryer for 20 minutes to achieve 80% bond. Now you say you only just want to "warm the glass to dry the surface" and "The purpose of the heat is not to cause the glue to set." You seem to be moving the goalposts again, as is so often the case.

Also, it is not "glue", it is a specialized adhesive. There is a difference.

No wonder they never come off in the years I've used them. 149 and 121 degrees Celsius !

When properly applied the stuff works very well. Most tape failures involve some sort of application or prep problem, a contaminate on the glass or moisture. As I mentioned earlier, according to 3M glass is one of the more challenging surfaces for this product and they recommend a chemical adhesion promoter which practically no dash cam owner uses or knows about. Plus the stuff isn't cheap.

Back