Xiaomi Yi Custom firmware with lastest revision

Just to see if I get it straight. When you guys speak about splitting videos we do not talk about 2gb/4gb various files that put together would make a whole video, right? Splitting means various video files with different bitrates? What script should I use to lower the bitrate to 25/30 mbps? I attach a picture with a test video, you can see exactly what's happening.... Thank you @ccdff!
Bitrate_trouble.jpg

Last edited:
@alfa147 if you go into your android app under the settings of your camera, which firmware do you see there ?

@criogix I think it would be better in your case to say scattering instead of splitting, since splitting is very normal in dashcam and even intended. I'm still wondering why your audio bitrate changed in your second clip. Do you have the emergency backup on ?

@ccdff No, no emergency backup on! I really don't get why it is impossible. I tried through script method also but the command isn't recognized....

@alfa147 if you go into your android app under the settings of your camera, which firmware do you see there ?

@criogix I think it would be better in your case to say scattering instead of splitting, since splitting is very normal in dashcam and even intended. I'm still wondering why your audio bitrate changed in your second clip. Do you have the emergency backup on ?

It is not a second clip, It is a part of the same video....all 3 toghether make 1.

@criogix yes yes I get that you recorded it all at once and the yi scattered it. Put you can't really combine it to one clip, because on big screens you'll see the difference. And it'll be very irritating when the quality changes randomly

@ccdff

1.2.13, the same as before the flashing, I think. Also the model is YDXJ_v23.

@ccdff hi~ I sent my yi camera back to the service center and got a new one today.
Without using custom firmware or any script, i just started recording at 1080 60p video at night with the loop function on.
I manually stop the recording at about 20:23 then started shooting again immediately.

And it turns out to be the same as my previous yi camera...the bitrate started to drop after the shooting began for 30 minutes.
The bitrate of the remain part is only about 15mb...

i kind of giving up on this....even without loop function on, the bit rate issue still remains......

Today, the engineer of service center didn't believe what i said about the bit rate issue until i showed him my microSD cards and the screenshots
Then he gave me a brand-new yi camera, which actually didn't help, either.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 25
Next i've made a short video in ntsc at 2k high quality and it was shot at 27 mbps. Is it normal?

yes sounds quite normal to me.

How can i find if I have the stock or the custom firmware?

Well if you updated over the app you have the stock firmware. But it's kind of weird that you have 27 m/bits. If you want to make sure you can flash a new firmware with a standard one from http://www.xiaoyi.com/update/sports

@punish1985 yes your problem is very weird :oops:. Did you try recording at medium quality setting from the app check out if the scattering is still happening

@ccdff no, but i might have to try it today~ but i'm wondering if the medium quality meets the standard of me...

@punish1985 propably not I just want to see if it works then. My custom firmware only changes the Bitrate on the highest setting and leaves the others allone, maybe yours does too. What purpose do you use yi for?

@ccdff yes, so does the Fried's firmware! But no matter i use custom firmware or stock firmware, it all turns out the same. I said it before~ my main purpose is dash cam....but no matter what purposes, variable bitrates of the video will always annoy me..

@punish1985 yes changing bitrates are annoying :mad:. but for a dashcam pixels will be more of a criteria then bitrates. Else I have no idea now whats wrong with your cam ;)

Thanks for your work, is there a way to backup the default firmware before flashing the custom one?

@zefs I don't think so, but I also didn't search for one. I would just download a new one from the yi website. Since there are no user settings stored on the firmware that should be no problem.

Found out possible reason for file spliting.

My card can handle 35mbit firmware mod, with no bitrate drops.
More that 35mbit, and spliting starts.

I inspected many of my files. Both CBR and VBR. And all of them have one common thing.
Crazy spike of bitrate in first second of every file.
Firmware 35mbit spike up to 48mbit (still my card did handle this).
But if you have slower card that normaly should do 35mbit . The spike kills you card in first second. That why some time you get very smal file with high bit rate .

Update: the bitrate spike happens with any bitrate setting. 35. 40. 50 and so on. So f you want to use lets say 50mbit the card should be able to handle up to 70mbit.

Im wating for 90mb/s write card. It will came in 2-3 days so i will then be able to confirm those findings.

Last edited:
@nCaine
no offense here...i guess many people suffering from file splitting issue here use fast enough microsd card already...
70 mb is only about 8-9 MB of writing speed...most genuine C10/UHS-I cards should handle it..

personally i use Kingston U3 SDCA3 (90/80 MB) and Sandisk extreme pro U3 microsd (95/90MB), splitting issues still happen from time to time.

Normally i use SDformatter for formation, yesterday I tried to use the "Full (Overwite)" way instead of the Quick formation before....
seemed to solve my splitting issues for now...i'm still observing..!!

@nCaine
no offense here...i guess many people suffering from file splitting issue here use fast enough microsd card already...
70 mb is only about 8-9 MB of writing speed...most genuine C10/UHS-I cards should handle it..

personally i use Kingston U3 SDCA3 (90/80 MB) and Sandisk extreme pro U3 microsd (95/90MB), splitting issues still happen from time to time.

Normally i use SDformatter for formation, yesterday I tried to use the "Full (Overwite)" way instead of the Quick formation before....
seemed to solve my splitting issues for now...i'm still observing..!!
No ofence taken. Im still learning all this. Can you explayn litle more in detail the format thing you did.

Okay, usually there are 3 types of format in the SD formatter software...
In the past I always choose "Quick" as in the first picture...but yesterday i just tried to use the "Full(Overwrite)" one as in the second picture.

Overwrite format takes more time...but i once heard from friends that it would help in resolving the "weird"situation of using.

One person in the forum here also suggested FULL format to the card..but i forgot in which post i saw it..@@

PS: sorry for the Chinese in the attach file, i try to download the English version of SD formatter, but they turn out to be Chinese one..hope you know what I mean!!

Attachments

• Image 004.jpg
    Image 004.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Image 005.jpg
    Image 005.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 22
Okay, usually there are 3 types of format in the SD formatter software...
In the past I always choose "Quick" as in the first picture...but yesterday i just tried to use the "Full(Overwrite)" one as in the second picture.

Overwrite format takes more time...but i once heard from friends that it would help in resolving the "weird"situation of using.

One person in the forum here also suggested FULL format to the card..but i forgot in which post i saw it..@@

PS: sorry for the Chinese in the attach file, i try to download the English version of SD formatter, but they turn out to be Chinese one..hope you know what I mean!!
Thx. Il try it when i have some time.

i usually use the onbord formatting tool of the yi which you can acces over the app. works everytime and I'm not getting any filr fracturing

Back