Yi Ultra Dash Camera

OMG it's the strongest strobe I've ever seen on a video! Did you try a different power supply?
I'v tried the same unit my back camera is on in the car now and it still does it. In fact here is a clip I just got while I just went to refill some medication.

Will EDIT in the clip in 13 minutes when its processed.

Last edited:
New version: V-1.01.017

This can be used for EU/US version?
Where is this file, off the Japanese site?

They should not sell this across Market if they are not going to keep it updated for us. I don't even think the app works correctly as it does not look for firmware updates as far as I can tell.

I only see it on the Jap site:
szDNfW1.jpg

Last edited:
I'v tried the same unit my back camera is on in the car
Ok, check the settings of the camera for any anti-flickering (or smth like that) option. And if it's enabled than possibly it's time to update the firmware. Afaik 60Hz AC is used in the USA (unlike 50Hz in Russian Fed. for example), so the firmware should be capable for reducing that frequency. To be honest I should say all the DVRs I ever hold in my hands could handle both 50Hz and 60Hz AC freq.

There is no option in the app or camera for this adjustment and I got a day shot now and same issue with any lights, and still no firmware update the camera wants to do.

It just needs the hz adjustment i'm pretty sure.

Code:
General
Complete name                            : X:\Video\2019_11_29_105846_1.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 151 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Overall bit rate                         : 21.1 Mb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf57.56.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=15
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate                                 : 21.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 2 688 pixels
Height                                   : 1 520 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.171
Stream size                              : 150 MiB (100%)
Color range                              : Full
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

This is from chinese site: http://www.xiaoyi.com/dash/firmware/download/yicarcam6.html

This camer is very cheap in Europe - massive promotion on Amazon 69.99Euro with free YI Home Camera and still no support page on official site :/
Exactly, but the Chinese one uses hvec and the us/euro one does not so that firmware will not work for it I imagine.

EDIT: also I meant Chinese before my bad. @Bandit did your camera have .013 out of the box?

Exactly, but the Chinese one uses hvec and the us/euro one does not so that firmware will not work for it I imagine.

EDIT: also I meant Chinese before my bad. @Bandit did your camera have .013 out of the box?
Yes, 013 out of the box.

Yi Tech on amazon replied to my message with my playlist saying they think it needs replaced and want to go that route.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Hi guys I just got this camera and upgraded to V-1.01.017 and the English menu was gone but i still can see the language menu in the camera but only CN no more US.
And the voice command was not working anymore, what should I do?

Does the Chinese firmware version work on the international version? And does it enable the HEVC format on the international version?

Does the Chinese firmware version work on the international version? And does it enable the HEVC format on the international version?
What is HEVC format?

My review

Ok, some people are complaining about picture quality. Static pictures are OK (both cars are fast moving in one direction): foo.png

but when you miss something with higher speed, then quality is very poor: x.png

Original movie: http://catshare.net/CpEzO9MHCDIY0KoS

There is no way to read license plate from opposite lane cars.

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently purchased the International Version and I'm really disappointed. Image quality is indeed very poor. It is grainy and super compressed. I reckon shutter speed may be too low and that makes the footage super blurry. Also, the shutter speed seems to be low because the cammera has a tendency of overexposing a lot. Both issues make it impossible to read license plates sometimes even 5 meters away, either because they are too blurry or completely blown out white.

Btw, footage at 1520P and 30 fps is really 26 fps AT MOST. Video looks really bumpy as well.

Wi-Fi is ok, but the app works badly on non-Chinese cameras. Most notably, there is no firmware update option, for example.

I really hope they do start releasing updates because this camera today is simply of subpar quality. What the **** did I buy?

P.S. Also, what gives with the surprising lack of information??? Even the yi official site doesn't have a dedicated page for it and you can hardly see it promoted...

OMG,just stop buying Yi dashcams!!! :):(:p
Yi dashcam unsatisfied owner. :cool:

Plate capture are so hit and miss, and its that way with any dashcam i have ever used.
Some days i am amazed why the camera have not captured any plates or far less than i expected it would, and other days where i have been sure today surely i can not read any plates, and then i get a surprise as i can read a lot of them.
My confusion are at a level where a suspect the automatic of cameras some times select some unfortunate settings to use, though they can only change ISO value and exposure time.
But that's how i feel, and its the same with the most expensive i have used and the most cheap ones i have used.

Plate capture i always test on a highway, and this mean both i and the oncoming car drive at least 80 km/h

This are the sjdash first on a good day then a bad day in the rain, and to be honest i dident expect it to work like that on a grey rainy day.

And the sjdash are not some super secret killer hardware, pretty normal if you ask me, and i am also sure sjcams dont have some super firmware team that can do things other cant do.

Personally i dont give much for plate capture, but it is just one parameter i use to gauge what i feel about a new dashcam.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L YI Ultra Dash Cam 2.7K 5
Back