Are there any 2 channel dash cam with both lenses remote

Like others on this thread, I've registered almost solely to express my interest in a high quality dual channel remote camera DVR dash cam setup that is designed for a professional, discrete install.

Features I'd like are high quality sensors on remote cameras with plenty of cable length, dual recording (one card for each camera), an emergency button and not to use a battery but instead use capacitors.

Personally I am not bothered about GPS or wifi being included - optional is fine. Neither am I bothered by there being a screen at all.

It would be a great additional feature to be able to display to a remote screen from the rear camera for a reversing camera, but it's not a necessity at all.

I've registered almost solely to express my interest in a high quality dual channel remote camera DVR dash cam setup that is designed for a professional, discrete install.
Same reason for me joining too Chaski, also on my shopping list is a 24/7 motion detect. The "7" means days remember, so it must have a decent memory! (will use a Lukas hot-wire battery device). Auto-uploading to the cloud when full would make this beauty a real retrospective Neighbourhood-watch asset. Looks to me at present as though it is a two horse race between the Koonlung K1S and the Street Guardian Panorama X1.

neither are good choices for 24.7 operation because they have batteries inside. you provide your own storage via SD cards... and uploading via cloud? hope you have an unlimited data plan and a carrier who doesn't cap you... a single 1080p stream at a decent bitrate uses up 32 gigs every 5 hours. not to mention how much space that would eat up on whatever server you upload to... if you can afford that, then you can probably afford to have what you want custom-built.

Ah.. Oh.. Being a newbie perhaps I'm showing my lack of knowledge, but is the battery not by-passed anyway when powered by the car battery? Why does it matter please? btw, I once saw a satellite launched from a peninsula near you - no size of speaker will ever equal the bass coming out of that puppy.

you'd think that, but since the battery is always slowly discharging even while not in use, the camera/DVR will be constantly charging it. and that's bad for battery life, especially in a hot, parked car. look around on this site and you'll find lots more reasons why batteries aren't a great thing in extremely hot or cold places. that's my only problem with the K1S based on what i saw in techmoan's recent review - the battery. at least it's easily replaceable...

they don't launch much more than model rockets on the bolivar peninsula, and that's about the only peninsula i know of around here. Johnson Space Center is of course here, but they don't launch anything; just about everything else BUT launch/test here. When i lived in Mississippi, I was probably 10 miles from the Stennis space center there, and would occasionally hear/feel them testing engines. Never saw one up close but if it's that loud/strong 10 miles away when they're testing just one space shuttle main engine, i can't imagine what a full-up launch is like. :D

Can't wait till SpaceX finishes their launch facilities near Brownsville... my wife is trying to get me to apply for a job with them. I'm an IT guy. and if anyone uses lots of computers that need infrastructure and management, it's a space agency.

Ok thanks that makes sense - I guess it's kinda like only shallow breathing in-between marathons.. I saw Techmoans' K1S video, and having now trawled this site I shall wait for his forthcoming update and any other comments.

It was the Genesis probe in 2001 launched from cape canaveral, just across the gulf from you ... returned as a lead balloon.

I saw Techmoans' K1S video, and having now trawled this site I shall wait for his forthcoming update and any other comments..

Be aware the K1S has major audio issues. You can barely hear anything captured from the mic(s) at all. If you don't want or need audio captured, could be an ok system for the price only time will tell. The previous Koonlung D36 was unstable, and I tried a few of them. (and why I passed on the K1S until Techmoan did a review)

Ok thanks that makes sense - I guess it's kinda like only shallow breathing in-between marathons.. I saw Techmoans' K1S video, and having now trawled this site I shall wait for his forthcoming update and any other comments.

It was the Genesis probe in 2001 launched from cape canaveral, just across the gulf from you ... returned as a lead balloon.
shallow breathing... via filterless cigarette. constantly charging any kind of battery isn't good as it causes buildup to occur on the electrodes inside, which reduces the efficiency, capacity and life of the battery. people refer to it as "memory" but it's really just mineral buildup inside. happens to all rechargeable batteries, including the car's own battery.

"just across the gulf..." lol it's about a 3 hour flight or a day and a half drive from here to the cape. the only reason nasa has such a big presence in Houston is porkbarrel politics.

spacex will be saving a ton by having everything more centralized.

Has anyone heard of any new decent products that would satisfy this thread?

Subscribing :D

Nothing right around the corner, but the R&D wheels are in motion for this pending global team effort to bring out something satisfying. As Jokiin said, Q2 at the earliest.

So should I hold off on getting a dual channel Blackvue and loading up the custom firmware? I wonder what the quality of stuff coming out this year will be like.

I suppose my big fear is something coming out with excellent specs, but being 3x too big for the window. Or missing one key feature.

One item on my wish list is a brake switch feature that can indicate exactly when the brake pedal has been touched. I think that would help in certain situations. (I know.. wish list...)

So should I hold off on getting a dual channel Blackvue and loading up the custom firmware? I wonder what the quality of stuff coming out this year will be like.

I suppose my big fear is something coming out with excellent specs, but being 3x too big for the window. Or missing one key feature.

One item on my wish list is a brake switch feature that can indicate exactly when the brake pedal has been touched. I think that would help in certain situations. (I know.. wish list...)

There are 5-6 dashcams out there with OBD, but mostly they are for Korean market. The only one well known to international market is Lukas range with OBD function that can display brake, RPM, indicators, gear etc., but OBD does not work with all behicles and Lukas is not considered as a discrete remote lens dashcam system. It has front unit "standard bulky size" and only rear camera is small, remote.

Even if there will be such a dashcam system in near future announced, then you have to add at least another half year before all "bugs" will be sorted out, because my experience shows, that no any new generation dashcam comes out fully polished. I would expect 2ch remote lens good quality, reliable system to be out by the end of this year, but at the moment there are no "insider news" from any of developers I am monitoring time to time.

Thanks for that :) Any comments on the Blackvue with the custom Russian/English firmware that's been discussed here?

Thanks for that :) Any comments on the Blackvue with the custom Russian/English firmware that's been discussed here?

If your are ready for some "hassle" of monitoring a Russian hackers firmware upgrades and using a Google translator on Russian forums ( russian to english ), then you may talk to @alexsoll. Their team have developed quite good firmwares for most range of Blackvue, but of course there are no guarantees, all risks should be taken to yourself and it is mostly for enthusiasts who are ready to push things to the limit.

If your are ready for some "hassle" of monitoring a Russian hackers firmware upgrades and using a Google translator on Russian forums ( russian to english ), then you may talk to @alexsoll. Their team have developed quite good firmwares for most range of Blackvue, but of course there are no guarantees, all risks should be taken to yourself and it is mostly for enthusiasts who are ready to push things to the limit.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not a fan of Blackvue, but at least the hacked firmware gives it a chance.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not a fan of Blackvue, but at least the hacked firmware gives it a chance.

If I may tap your knowledge a bit more, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a DR550GW-2CH and put Alexsoll's firmware on it. Is there something else comparable to this configuration that's available now I should be looking at?

Ask Alexsoll questions to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. The update steps/method used seemed like quite a hassle just to update the firmware last time I looked into it. Not sure it's any easier yet.

Not that I'm aware of, hence this thread.

Back