Mobius mounting solutions

An alternate would be to drill and tap a couple very small holes to screw things together which would allow the use of a good thermal paste to help heat transfer to the sink. If you went back to using it the way it was originally designed I doubt the lost metal from drilling the holes would matter, especially of you popped in a couple set-screws to fill them flush.

Phil

Like that idea Phil, though we would need to space it with heat transfer pads as the components are at differing heights that need to be covered.

Also as an update, I have been using the camera in hot (or at least as hot as it gets here in the UK) for a three hour round trip to Cardiff yesterday and it appears to be holding up just fine - that would probably be the longest journey I take in the car for an extended run, my car is second or third on the list and is more just for fun than a daily driver - Bike for commuting daily and the family Qashqai for longer runs normally.

Welcome.
When will your Mobius arrive? Smart choice. Believe me, once you have your unit, all will become clear and this thread will be your daily read.
Just received it and now need to explore how to carefully access the front dome light power leads in my Lexus RX400H. Appreciate any suggestions from those that may have done this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need this. Mini USB is angled. Just push it under head liner.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/400553986888
Yes! Got one on the way already. Just trying to get ahead of the curve a little by exploring the mounting and wiring possibilities. Not much room to utilize the rear view mirror stem on this auto so I think I will use the helmet mount with the straps removed of course! It looks like it will give me a nice low profile mount on the windscreen.

Banggood just notified me they have shipped my super-caps, so I might have them in another month, sooner if I'm lucky. They operate on island time; "Soon come mon, soon come." :rolleyes:

Mine has been left recording in my hot closed van all day where I estimate stagnant air temps in that spot have reached 123F/ 50C or more for hours on end. Not even a hiccup, all is well, and while I will not recommend such 'abuse', the Mobius seems to be able to take it in stride so I don't think many people will have a heat problem with this cam just as it is sold. Mine is a tough world to live in and I am impressed with the Mobius handling it all so well.

Phil

Banggood just notified me they have shipped my super-caps, so I might have them in another month, sooner if I'm lucky. They operate on island time; "Soon come mon, soon come." :rolleyes:

Mine has been left recording in my hot closed van all day where I estimate stagnant air temps in that spot have reached 123F/ 50C or more for hours on end. Not even a hiccup, all is well, and while I will not recommend such 'abuse', the Mobius seems to be able to take it in stride so I don't think many people will have a heat problem with this cam just as it is sold. Mine is a tough world to live in and I am impressed with the Mobius handling it all so well.

Phil

I have to agree. My Mobius cams (with super-caps) have performed admirably, long term, in all kinds of conditions. The only hiccup has been in extreme sub-freezing environments when it can take about sixty seconds for the DSP to warm up to its rated operating temperature before the camera will fully boot. This can require unplugging it and replugging to start the boot-up process again.

My experience with Banggood, once they actually get smaller items shipped and out the door is three weeks or less to arrive in northeastern USA. Once it took about ten days.

I have to agree. My Mobius cams (with super-caps) have performed admirably, long term, in all kinds of conditions. The only hiccup has been in extreme sub-freezing environments when it can take about sixty seconds for the DSP to warm up to its rated operating temperature before the camera will fully boot. This can require unplugging it and replugging to start the boot-up process again.
Except for the cold weather, which I do not have to endure :) or self-inflicted hiccups, this would be my experience as well with the Mobius!

Hi all, getting new Mobius C2 arriving today, wanting to find a USB Mini up 90 Degree Angle Adapter as it looks like really clean connection. Will work on other installation approaches as I go but would like the connector now... can't seem to find any on the net, hoping someone might point me to one... TY
I followed the link where I found this pic but it was a dead ebay post.
mini usb 90 adapter.jpg

Hi all, getting new Mobius C2 arriving today, wanting to find a USB Mini up 90 Degree Angle Adapter as it looks like really clean connection. Will work on other installation approaches as I go but would like the connector now... can't seem to find any on the net, hoping someone might point me to one... TY
I followed the link where I found this pic but it was a dead ebay post.
View attachment 15871
I have been unable to find a male mini USB to female mini USB up angled adapter anywhere. This is a male mini USB to female 2.0 USB up angled adapter which will do the same thing for you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/281742770632

I have been unable to find a male mini USB to female mini USB up angled adapter anywhere. This is a male mini USB to female 2.0 USB up angled adapter which will do the same thing for you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/281742770632
Hi Skysailor, thanks for the response. I saw the ones on the link and that is an option, would have to get a different cable and adapter is larger too. Other option is to use a short cable with that configuration and can hide the connection to the 3 meter cable under head-board... the adapter in the picture is just cleaner and hope maybe someone might know where to get one... thanks again!

Hi Skysailor, thanks for the response. I saw the ones on the link and that is an option, would have to get a different cable and adapter is larger too. Other option is to use a short cable with that configuration and can hide the connection to the 3 meter cable under head-board... the adapter in the picture is just cleaner and hope maybe someone might know where to get one... thanks again!
Try looking at buymobius.com maybe this http://www.buymobius.com/collection...female-to-usb-mini-b-male-90-degree-l-adapter

I'd be interested in a link to the ones you found. Have ordered stuff from across the pond before and small items are not too bad regarding shipping costs.

BTW I completed my install and it turned out great. I used the stick-on helmet mount as it results in a lower profile than the provided stick-on ball mount. Found an on/off power source above my overhead console and tapped into it. I adapted the provided auto USB power adapter by soldering wires on the positive and ground contacts and connected them to the + power and chassis ground respectively. Taped up the whole thing and wedged it in place with some quality foam material I had laying around. Then I ran the mini USB to standard USB cord through the rain detector alongside the wires that go to the auto-dimming rear-view mirror. Can't see a thing from either front seat without ducking down a little just to see the red light blinking on the Mobius. Now just have to refine my settings to get the quality and file sizes that work for me. I currently have a 16GB micro SD in the camera but have a 64GB one arriving in a day or so. That should give me a good 8 hours or so of recording using the standard data rate for 1080p.

Will add photos as soon as I get the chance.

I just realized your comments were links!~ Anyhow I did some more searching based upon the items you found and found this one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161360506810 I think it is the one you and I would like to have. There is also this one which is for the reverse direction (down): https://www.ebay.com/itm/150846787995I am going to order the 90 degree up one (item# 161360506810) at about $5.16 USD with free shipping it's not bad.
Cheers

Just ordered one and at current exchange rate it came to $6.75 shipped.

I just realized your comments were links!~ Anyhow I did some more searching based upon the items you found and found this one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161360506810 I think it is the one you and I would like to have. There is also this one which is for the reverse direction (down): https://www.ebay.com/itm/150846787995I am going to order the 90 degree up one (item# 161360506810) at about $5.16 USD with free shipping it's not bad.
Cheers

Just ordered one and at current exchange rate it came to $6.75 shipped.
As promised...photos on my install. Pretty straight-forward.
1-20150810_185701.jpg 2-20150810_185735.jpg 3-20150810_185743.jpg 4-20150810_185758.jpg 5-20150810_185805.jpg 6-20150810_185852.jpg 7-20150810_185900.jpg 8-20150810_185929.jpg

That looks great. What kind of mount is that?
It is the helmet mount which is one of the five or so mounts that came with the Ultimate Edition package I purchased through
seller novotm on eBay. I took the velcro straps off the mount...the base has a 3M adhesive on it and the mount is removable from that base which provides another option fro removing the camera from the auto when desired. I opted for this mount rather than the other adhesive mount with the ball & socket because this one is shorter overall and results in a less visible installation. When I receive the 90 degree up angled mini USB adapter I just ordered it will be even cleaner looking with regard to the power cable with more room between the camera and the rear-view mirror.

Back