SG9665GC anyone hardwire?

I have noticed that every now and then her teeny tiny screen (really, why is it there?) turns itself on for the 15 sec I have set it down to so hopefully I won’t see any recording glitches this thread has mentioned.

the screen will come on if the G-Sensor is triggered, even if the event that triggers it is not strong enough to force it to save a file, we're looking at changing this behavior though, some firmware fine tuning is still happening and hope to have an update out very soon

the screen will come on if the G-Sensor is triggered, even if the event that triggers it is not strong enough to force it to save a file, we're looking at changing this behavior though, some firmware fine tuning is still happening and hope to have an update out very soon

Thanks Rick, good to know the screen isn’t just going on randomly and drawing attention to itself in the dark of night, cheers.

The 16,000mAh battery bank “only” lasted through to 2am so managed 41.5hrs out of it’s very 1st charge.
A 10,000mAh pack would get me +30hrs, accounting for losses, and this would be ample for my intended use.
The 32GB card records a little over 4hrs before it loops so a few larger cards going on the shopping list.
Bonus is I just saved myself a stack of cash so guess I’ll be exploring the 128GB card “experimental process” next.

One other thing to perhaps think about Rick, appears some people have fried their cams when hardwiring, cutting off the cigarette power adapter and forgetting it’s actually a 12v – 5v converter, maybe change the design so the converter has a pluggable usb outlet instead?
This would at least make them think a little longer plus people who have cable length concerns (too short or too long) could purchase their cable length of choice?

we looked at doing a USB cable and cig adapter instead, it's actually very hard to source good quality cig adapters for this, most are junk, the other thing that comes up then is we get people that want to plug into an existing USB outlet as a lot of cars have them these days, problem with that is a lot are only 500mAh and won't reliably run our camera

I've only had one person in the last 3 years that has cut the plug off and fried a camera, I replaced everything for them as a goodwill gesture, if we had that happen too often that would be a problem for us, we have updated the cig charger in the new batch and this is less of an issue now anyway due to some changes we've made

With thanks for excellent service from Pier28, I bought my first SG9665GC at the end of August. The camera has been great, validating all the good comments in the forum. I initially used the cigarette power adapter that came with it, but decided to switch to a hard wire. The cig adapter used up my main power socket and also did not work some of the time without reseating or moving the adapter several times.

I bought the CPUSB01 last week from Pier28 and tried to install this afternoon on our 2007 BMW 328i (E90), but have not succeeded thus far. Two issues -- first, when power up occurs, the camera screen comes on for a split second and then goes off even when there is power to the unit and when the blinking light says it is recording. No matter which button I tap, the screen wont come on except for that 1/2 second at startup. When I switch back to powering via the cigarette lighter adapter, the screen comes on and works just like before when you hit the menu button (lasting for several seconds before turning off). Second, I've tried multiple fuses on the 2007 BMW and can't get it to reliably turn on when the car starts and stay on until the car is turned off. I used the instructions above and the helpful video from US Dashcam for the install.

Any ideas? These issues are no doubt a reflection of my limited knowledge, so I'm hoping someone else is wiser. I really like the camera, so I'd like to get reliable power to it. Thx.

It sounds like you're not starting the engine. The engine needs to be running. If you're testing by turning ACC key one position only (engine off still) it will fade off quickly.

Sounds like you have the GPS plugged into the AV socket, that will cause the screen go off straight away

joklin -- many thanks --that fixed the screen issue. When I plugged it all back in after the wiring, it was dark and I stupidly put the GPS plug into the AV socket without double checking. I'll see if I can get reliable on/off power now from the car fuse socket I used (the ACC fuse socket, with 30 amps on the main car fuse and a 5 amp fuse on the add-a-fuse pigtail for the SG9665GC). More to come if I can't solve that. From what I've read online, the BMW fuse boxes are tricky for adding a hard wire, so apparently not so easy to pick the right fuse. Thanks again.

Pier28 thanks for your comment too (and great US service to all of us). I tested with the engine on (not just ACC on), thanks to earlier tips.

Question regarding CPUSB01

Is it possible to connect this to a MotoPark BDP kit?
If yes. Is using a cigarette replacement plug, like this, ok ? or should I simple splice the wire ?

Reason behind this is because I initially plan to have my GC to record only when the car is running (ACC) , but after some changes in the plan, I've decided to run the GC in BAT.
Since I also plan in buying MotoPark BDP kit together with this car adapter . And I have no little skills when it comes to attaching the CPUSB01 to a SPDT switch.

Is this idea viable? or should I consider the CPUSB01 as an opportunity loss (for now) and buy a usb cable extension, like this, instead? (just to make things simpler)

Just buy the MotoPark that's all you need. Use the standard cigarette lighter power adapter included with the SG9665GC and plug that into the female port of the MotoPark.

You can switch between ACC and BAT mode using the button on the MotoPark too by the way.

Just buy the MotoPark that's all you need. Use the standard cigarette lighter power adapter included with the SG9665GC and plug that into the female port of the MotoPark.
Forgot to mention that I can't use the included cigarette lighter adapter since that would be used when using the GC on car rentals (business trips) .

You can switch between ACC and BAT mode using the button on the MotoPark too by the way.
Yup already made up my mind in buying the MotoPark, really want the ability to turn off/on the camera when the car is not running.

It is not that I want to make things complicated, just don't want to have my CPUSB01 not being used.

But, considering pros and cons, I guess would relegate my CPUSB01 as an opportunity loss, for now.

Just order a second adapter. Are you a preorder? Who did you order from? If it was me I'll hook you up with a deal. Send a Private message with your name/order details.

Also, The GC might not be the best choose to stick to a rental car as it's more of a permanent install.

yes, I just made a pre-order a few weeks ago. will send a PM.

Recommended is 3 or 5Amp. If you use add a circuit adapter, then you can use any ACC fuse from car circuit pount, but for dashcam circuit use 3 or 5 Amp.
NB! Never use Airbag fuse. Also alarm / immobilizer / central locking fuse is not recommended to use.
Will a 10amp fuse too much for the add a circuit adapter? Because I'm hardwire to the cigerlighter fuse and I recall someone say a 10amp is for camera.

Will a 10amp fuse too much for the add a circuit adapter? Because I'm hardwire to the cigerlighter fuse and I recall someone say a 10amp is for camera.

Fuse protects your car electronics overload from dashcam side voltage / amp "kick-back", not dashcam.
You "may" use 10amp, but in this case you putting into high risk your car wiring and other electronics components. Not all wires are rated 10amp and can resist in case of overloading. Best is to be on the safe side and use 3 ( max 5 Amp ) fuse to connect with dashcam.

Fuse protects your car electronics overload from dashcam side voltage / amp "kick-back", not dashcam.
You "may" use 10amp, but in this case you putting into high risk your car wiring and other electronics components. Not all wires are rated 10amp and can resist in case of overloading. Best is to be on the safe side and use 3 ( max 5 Amp ) fuse to connect with dashcam.
I get kind of confuse, so the add circuit fuse 2 slots and which one is for the primery to the car? And what fuse location you recommand I should hardwire to? Cig fuse or acc? Cig fuse are 10amp while the acc are 7.5amp.

I get kind of confuse, so the add circuit fuse 2 slots and which one is for the primery to the car? And what fuse location you recommand I should hardwire to? Cig fuse or acc? Cig fuse are 10amp while the acc are 7.5amp.

There are two circuits in add-a-circuit. One is to continue same circuit which you adding add-a-circuit, - there you have to use original fuse which is now in the fuse slot, the other fuse slot on add-a-fuse "head" is for dashcam, - there use 3 or 5 amp.

This picture should explain circuit of add-a-circuit

a1-850x850_0.jpg

Back