Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

As for the second problem, are you sure you're missing parts? E.g. do you have a "gap" in the file numbers? Or are they continuous?

Registrator viewer shows those grey bands when it concatenates (groups) files it feels pertain to the same trip, but where there are parts without recording.
Sans titre - 1.png

what is the serial number of your camera and which firmware is currently installed?
My version number is SG20150305.002
And my serial number is SB150500048

As for the second problem, are you sure you're missing parts? E.g. do you have a "gap" in the file numbers? Or are they continuous?

Registrator viewer shows those grey bands when it concatenates (groups) files it feels pertain to the same trip, but where there are parts without recording.
The file names/numbers are sequential. There are 1o files in order this morning. Looking at the attached image "sg file names.png" you can see that all 10 files are sequentially recorded (don't mind the 001 and 002 at the end, they're actually the first two files. That was me changing the time since I forgot to set DST over the weekend).

In "sg before.png" you'll see the zoomed in portion highlighting a second before the greyed out gap in the video. This is from video 003.
In "sg during.png" you'll see the zoomed in portion highlighting the greyed out gap in the video. This is from video 004.
In "sg after.png" you'll see the zoomed in portion after the greyed out gap, also from video 004.
(File "sg duration.png" is just so you may see the total length of the greyed out time).

This gap was a small one this morning, about 20 seconds in length. During this time I was just pulling out of the garage and on to the main road. But the other day I drove for about an hour solid and there were a couple of gaps of each about 10-15 mins where it didn't record anything at all in the middle of the trip.

I could understand if Registration Viewer missed some files because it didn't think they were part of the same video, but if I play back the raw video files directly from the SD card in VLC, it's equally evident that there are parts of the drive that are simply missing, like the camera stopped recording.

Thanks!

Attachments

• sg after.png
    sg after.png
    65 KB · Views: 11
  • sg before.png
    sg before.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 10
  • sg duration.png
    sg duration.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 10
  • sg during.png
    sg during.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
  • sg file names.png
    sg file names.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 10
This gap was a small one this morning, about 20 seconds in length. During this time I was just pulling out of the garage and on to the main road. But the other day I drove for about an hour solid and there were a couple of gaps of each about 10-15 mins where it didn't record anything at all in the middle of the trip....
Do you have motion detection on?

I do, yes. Excuse my ignorance, but does Motion Detect stop recordings as well? I thought it was to enable recording if the camera was on but not recording?

I do, yes. Excuse my ignorance, but does Motion Detect stop recordings as well? I thought it was to enable recording if the camera was on but not recording?
Motion Detect essentially tells the camera to only record when it detects motion. This becomes an issue because the algorithms used generally require a great deal of 'motion' to occur in a significant portion of the frame.

Some experiments with a G1W-H leads me to believe that, at least with that camera, it had to detect motion across about 1/3 to 1/2 the frame for at least one second before it would record - not very sensitive at all. I actually set it up with a 120v to 5v power supply and tried using it as a security camera monitoring the front of my house and driveway. A car pulling into the garage was not sufficient to trigger recording. I tried walking across the front lawn in full view of the camera and it failed to start recording under those conditions as well.

I would suspect in your case (highway driving and waiting to pull onto a roadway) there was not enough 'motion' detected by the camera to trigger the recording function. Turn off 'motion detect' and I'm pretty sure you'll get the continuous recording you expect.

turn motion detect off, it will pause and resume recordings depending on how much movement is detected, it's not accurate enough to use while driving

I'll disable motion detection and report back in a day or two. I suspect that might have been what's causing it. Thanks @DT MI for the explanation, I believe you may have solved my issue!

Has anyone told me to RTFM yet?

Someone needs to tell me to RTFM.

I'll disable motion detection and report back in a day or two. I suspect that might have been what's causing it. Thanks @DT MI for the explanation, I believe you may have solved my issue!

Has anyone told me to RTFM yet?

Someone needs to tell me to RTFM.

you're safe, the RTFM isn't up yet as we have been finalising some stuff so not your fault at all

Speaking of the manual, I understand it hasn't been released yet, but... Is the manual for the SG9665GM/SG9665GPS similar enough to use as a rough guide? I am expecting the delivery of my SG9665GC today (sounds like I'm about to have a baby, eh?), and other than the quick start guide, I haven't found any other manuals thus far. But I am a relatively patient person...

It works essentially the same, so the manual from the GM works. No need to be concerned, as once you understand the menu everything is very easy. Nice choice on the camera!

Speaking of the manual, I understand it hasn't been released yet, but... Is the manual for the SG9665GM/SG9665GPS similar enough to use as a rough guide? I am expecting the delivery of my SG9665GC today (sounds like I'm about to have a baby, eh?), and other than the quick start guide, I haven't found any other manuals thus far. But I am a relatively patient person...

yeah the older model manual will get you most of the way there, we've been waiting on some stuff to get finalised in firmware so we can finish off the manual, hopefully next week

turn motion detect off, it will pause and resume recordings depending on how much movement is detected, it's not accurate enough to use while driving
This seemed to work.

I still get an occasional 1-2 second period where it either skips or doesn't record something, but that's perfectly fine for most cases. It no longer goes for minutes at a time.

Looks like problem solved. So glad I got a SG! And so glad for top notch user support!

...I still get an occasional 1-2 second period where it either skips or doesn't record something,...
Hmmm, that still doesn't sound right. Are you sure you turned motion detect off and not the G-sensor by mistake? (Just thinking out loud a bit.)

Hmmm, that still doesn't sound right. Are you sure you turned motion detect off and not the G-sensor by mistake? (Just thinking out loud a bit.)
I don't know how else to explain it other than there being an occasional < 1 second bit where it's just missing video. Not a full one-one-thousand count, but just a blip where it's quite obvious that the recording skipped a heartbeat and then kept on going. But it's not consistent. Best that I can tell it's probably what @Pier28 mentioned, that it's overlapping clips.

I don't know how else to explain it other than there being an occasional < 1 second bit where it's just missing video. Not a full one-one-thousand count, but just a blip where it's quite obvious that the recording skipped a heartbeat and then kept on going. But it's not consistent. Best that I can tell it's probably what @Pier28 mentioned, that it's overlapping clips.
Like @Pier28 said, what you may be seeing is the overlap when a new file is started on the memory card. It's not skipping stuff, but rather recording the same 1 second of video at the end of one file and the beginning of the next and what you see kind of looks like the video playback 'stutters'. If that's the case you should see the effect at the same frequency as the length of your video segments - 5 minute segments it would occur once every 5 minutes, 3 minute segments once every 3 minutes, etc.

1. Could you please share with us any two sequential original video files. You can upload them to Dropbox or Mega.co.nz and share download link, so we can inspect.

2. When you open a Registrator Viewer to playback your videos, click CTRL+J, new windows pop-up, select there 1000. Now you don't have any "jump" in the video playback between files.

1. Could you please share with us any two sequential original video files. You can upload them to Dropbox or Mega.co.nz and share download link, so we can inspect.

2. When you open a Registrator Viewer to playback your videos, click CTRL+J, new windows pop-up, select there 1000. Now you don't have any "jump" in the video playback between files.
There is no need for me to upload the video now. I am certain that this "issue" I had is resolved, thanks to @jokiin, @Pier28, @daniel_bel, and @DT MI. When I look at a clip in Registration Viewer, that 1-second blip is exactly at 5-minute marks throughout. This is without a doubt the overlap of videos.

Whereas before, when I had Motion Detection on, upon inspection of the videos, they were indeed dropping parts of the drive where I was on smooth and long highway sections. Enough of a bore for the camera to think not much is happening and to pause recording.

You guys rock! Not only did I get support and straight answers from vendor and maker, other members came to help too. Reason #143,871 to buy a Street Guardian :)

Back