nanoQ 0903

not the best sample footage to tell but it looks like the focus might not be set well, (giving the benefit of the doubt that the lens quality is ok and not a contributing factor), focus aside it does look like it has some way to go with firmware tuning

Maybe the 1 to 12M setting is the bitrate and not not resolution? The video you posted looks like having strong compression artefacts which seems to point towards a low bit rate.

Ah ok... That was a good hint. Much better from the compression point of view now. But still: it needs some work on the FW as you and jokiin mentioned.

I was thinking of ordering it but I guess I should wait a bit longer...

Looking at the second sample it does look like the focus isn't great, even with poor focus it's apparent they still have some work to do with firmware, will take some time, I don't know who they are using now as this is a different dev team to all the other 080x series products and not sure what sort of experience they have with this platform

Looks terrible to me and I was going to buy one the other day and am I so glad I never , had the 0806 before that and same Focus issue and to me it is Bad QC ( Quality Control ) along with unstable firmware trying to rush things and have them sent out no matter what problems.

I would never buy another mini 0*** series just too many problems and headache.

Glad to see you have fixed it Blake and it does look much better, but this shows that the company still have QC issues.

Yea, this is the first cam i have ever re focused, i must say though. EXTREMELY easy to do on this camera, it was painless.

Blake,

How did you refocus the lens?

There was some silicone on the lens base around the threads. I cut that off and twisted it clockwise while checking video output from my cellphone. Once it was clear ~14ft away from me i left it alone. I didnt bother to re-glue it as it required a lot of force to turn it.

Much better :)... Really can't decide if I should invest the money for a street guardian (sg9665gc) or if the 0903 is good enough for my purposes... I like the form factor (my car has a huge sensor cluster around the mirror for Lane departure warning and automatic window wipers) so I'm not sure where to put the street guardian while the 0903 would fit under the mirror assembly.

I have both cams, the SG is fantastic but it is expensive. You are really paying for quality service and reliability. I started with 2 b40's which were GREAT cameras for the price but i needed better night perf. The only benefit technically i see with the 903 over the SG is the F/1.7 lens which in theory should give better night performance in terms of blurring. But the firmware needs to be up to par and as you can tell its early days for the mini. The SG is pretty solidified in terms of stability.

If you want to play around with cameras, get a mini. If you want to get a camera and be done with it, the SG is the one.

What a big difference. Good job in re-focusing it. Now, you need to teach the rest of us how to do it too. There are still some pixelation on it.

Yes night performance and where to place it in my car are my main worries. It would be great if you could post some night footage from the 0903 and street guardian to compare :)

They have the same sensor, so they technically will have similar performance at night. The firmware is everything at this point.

If the 0903 has a good development team and can mature, it will be on par with the SG. The real difference here is reliability.

You MAY have received a pre release cam. As the the first production ready 0903's have only left the factory in the last few. Days. SOME Pre release cameras suffered from bad focus out of the box and also "focus shift". IE as the camera warmed up with regular use the internal heat caused the focus to go off. Run you cam continuous for about an hour and then try to compare your video to when you first did a cold start. If your focus is okay after that you should be good to go. If not then look to return it as faulty.

You MAY have received a pre release cam. As the the first production ready 0903's have only left the factory in the last few. Days. SOME Pre release cameras suffered from bad focus out of the box and also "focus shift". IE as the camera warmed up with regular use the internal heat caused the focus to go off. Run you cam continuous for about an hour and then try to compare your video to when you first did a cold start. If your focus is okay after that you should be good to go. If not then look to return it as faulty.

I'll watch for any issues. Summer time will tell all.

It came in a retail box with all accessories and instruction manual etc. I realize that this doesn't mean much but hopefully there aren't any issues. Just curious, what was the change made to the pre production units to prevent focus shift? Was it an entirely different lens housing or some heat dissipation techniques?

Back