Bought a Dab205

Thanks. My knowledge is poor in electronics. So your opinions, advices teach me :)

i have a bit information and also experience in electronic.. so your advices, opinions too valuable for me.. thanks again ;)

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, in fact I am new to using dash cams. I purchased one about 2 weeks ago and had some initial issues with it and now, according to the seller, I have the latest firmware that they sent me.
I have the DAB 205. The firmware allows the change between km/h and mph. The firmware version that the camera displays is ZX-AMF-G-2560Y. I also have the DT-AMF-G-2326L but it shows a company name 'Dome Travel', a logo and some Chinese text, all above the date. That was initially the update firmware they sent me but I told them that I do not want this extra stuff occupy screen space and that is when they sent me the 2560Y version.
If anyone want either version I will upload it somewhere and will make it available.
By the way, does anyone know if there is a compatible player that can actually track the trip as well from the DAB205 mp4 files? The one that comes with the camera is appalling. It is called the 'Car DV Player' and it is version 1.119. The video does not keep the aspect ratio, if window is resized, and the graphical speedo shows incorrect speed in the right hand bottom corner. Not that it matters but if it is there then I expect it to work as it should. I tried various players, free and commercial, but I could not get any of them to work with the DAB205 mp4 files. One least played the recordings but the gps tracking did not work.
Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, in fact I am new to using dash cams. I purchased one about 2 weeks ago and had some initial issues with it and now, according to the seller, I have the latest firmware that they sent me.
I have the DAB 205. The firmware allows the change between km/h and mph. The firmware version that the camera displays is ZX-AMF-G-2560Y. I also have the DT-AMF-G-2326L but it shows a company name 'Dome Travel', a logo and some Chinese text, all above the date. That was initially the update firmware they sent me but I told them that I do not want this extra stuff occupy screen space and that is when they sent me the 2560Y version.
If anyone want either version I will upload it somewhere and will make it available.
By the way, does anyone know if there is a compatible player that can actually track the trip as well from the DAB205 mp4 files? The one that comes with the camera is appalling. It is called the 'Car DV Player' and it is version 1.119. The video does not keep the aspect ratio, if window is resized, and the graphical speedo shows incorrect speed in the right hand bottom corner. Not that it matters but if it is there then I expect it to work as it should. I tried various players, free and commercial, but I could not get any of them to work with the DAB205 mp4 files. One least played the recordings but the gps tracking did not work.
Cheers,
Andrew
Registrator Viewer works well with the 205 files.

I just tried Registrator Viewer again and now it worked. I tried it before and did not work but those files were created with the previous firmware. With the latest 2560Y version firmware it works.
Are you the one who sells those filters? I have this dash reflections in the recordings when the sun is at certain angles.

I just tried Registrator Viewer again and now it worked. I tried it before and did not work but those files were created with the previous firmware. With the latest 2560Y version firmware it works.
Are you the one who sells those filters? I have this dash reflections in the recordings when the sun is at certain angles.
Yes, I have a CPL "kit" for the DAB205.

Does it help with filtering out dash board top reflections from the windshield in the recordings? What is the postage to AU, many times that kills the purchase.

Does it help with filtering out dash board top reflections from the windshield in the recordings? What is the postage to AU, many times that kills the purchase.
Yes, it can help quite a bit. Send me a PM with your address and I'll get a shipping quote.

I have received my set with CPL kit from CaptureYour Action. It is in working condition. Thanks to CaptureYourAction for testing the set for me before shipping. I had a bad experience from buying from ebay, which is a faulty set. Currently doing a few tests for this unit. I was wondering what is the latest firmware now? I found that parking mode can be activated by just switch on motion detection mode without activate the actual parking mode. This helps to save external battery as it will stop recording after around 10 seconds when there is no motion. Its seem that i could not get any event file saved even though i have set G sensor to the highest. I have done my trial run on parking for 12 hours. Its feel hotter than my other car camera, but it is still running fine. Next round, i will have it running for 24 hours.

I have received my set with CPL kit from CaptureYour Action. It is in working condition. Thanks to CaptureYourAction for testing the set for me before shipping. I had a bad experience from buying from ebay, which is a faulty set. Currently doing a few tests for this unit. I was wondering what is the latest firmware now? I found that parking mode can be activated by just switch on motion detection mode without activate the actual parking mode. This helps to save external battery as it will stop recording after around 10 seconds when there is no motion. Its seem that i could not get any event file saved even though i have set G sensor to the highest. I have done my trial run on parking for 12 hours. Its feel hotter than my other car camera, but it is still running fine. Next round, i will have it running for 24 hours.
There is one firmware version after the one that is installed on your camera now that I am aware of, but the only difference is that the up/down buttons work faster/better in playback mode. There won't be any other benefits over the one your running now.

I'm trying to figure out the operation system of the camera, correct me if I'm wrong. The below scenarios are based on a continuous power supplied to the camera, there is no shut down of the camera even when the engine is shut down.

1) Parking Mode is off, motion detection is ON and Auto off mode has been switch OFF. When driving, each file lasted about 12 seconds. This is because motion detection is ON. I have to OFF the motion detection and press OK button to start normal driving recording.

2) Parking Mode is ON, motion detection is ON, Auto off mode is ON. After engine switch off, the camera will record IF there is motion. Once there is no motion, it will auto switch OFF. Once it is switch OFF, it will not switch ON again even there is motion detected. It will ONLY switch ON when the G Sensor detect impact due to Parking Mode is ON. 30 Seconds will be recorded in the Event File Folder. After that, it will go back to normal recording until it is switch off manually or press the OK button to stop recording.

From my current testing, I have realised that the G sensor is not very sensitive even I have set it to the highest mode. I have to physically shake the camera to activate the Parking Mode when the camera is OFF, then the screen will show that a event is recorded. During normal driving, with emergency braking or bumpy roads, G sensor was not activate. I will think that the event file folder is really for an accident recording that need a great impact on the car. I have doubt that it will record as a event file with a light hitting impact on the bumper of the car. The motion detection is great, very sensitive, almost true to time in recording when the motion is within the lens range of 170 degree angle.

I don't use parking mode or motion detection, but what you wrote sounds right. On #2 though, with motion detection on, I would think that after the G Sensor event motion detection would keep the camera recording until motion stops. I suppose this will depend on whether the impact is in view of the camera though. Also, not sure why it would go back to normal recording after G Sensor saved the event. I would think motion detection would still stop the recording after it no longer senses any motion.

The G Sensor seem to be very insensitive. If I switch off the motion detection, switch off the camera, switch on the camera again, do I still have to press the OK button to start normal recording? Or it will auto start normal recording by itself while driving?

When camera goes from off to on, manually in your case, recording should start automatically. I can't think of a setting that would prevent that.

Also, I'm not sure if shaking the camera is a good indication of G sensor sensitivity. To mimic an impact, I think you need more of a sudden/harsh movement. I've never tested the G sensor though.

Thanks, I will try again. It does not start recording from off to on. As for the G sensor, so far I have no files recorded under event folder. I have tried placing on table and start banging the table, it doesn't record under parking mode. Next time I will test the normal recording mode and see how the the G Sensor will be activate.

I have completed my testing. Below is my findings which I hope is useful.

1) The camera can be operated 24 hours with no issues.
2) G Sensor will only record file under Event Folder if there is a high impact accident (I assume this because so far there is no file in my Event Folder)
3) As I am using external battery to operate parking mode with motion detection, I need to switch Off and On again the camera before starting to drive. This will enable the camera to switch to normal driving recording (do not have to switch off motion detection in the menu). After parking, press Ok button to stop the normal recording, by doing this, motion detection is now activated.
4) It is good to use larger memory card as it is very difficult or zero chance that it will record in the Event Folder. This will help to delay the file from being overwrite when it is full.

I have completed my testing. Below is my findings which I hope is useful.
3) As I am using external battery to operate parking mode with motion detection, I need to switch Off and On again the camera before starting to drive. This will enable the camera to switch to normal driving recording (do not have to switch off motion detection in the menu). After parking, press Ok button to stop the normal recording, by doing this, motion detection is now activated.
So if you never turn motion detection off, doesn't the camera automatically stop recording after you have parked and it has not sensed motion for a period of time? As I've said before, I don't use parking mode, but in my limited testing on the DAB202 (same firmware) I was under the impression that if you left motion detection on it would automatically turn off recording (or enter parking mode) after a certain time with no motion. I didn't think you had to manually stop the recording, by pressing OK, to enter parking mode with motion detection. This is not what you have experienced?

When I switch off the engine, the camera continue operating as i'm running on external battery. As a result, when I pressed OK button, it will stop recording for normal recording after I have off the engine. Once there is motion, it will start recording again for 12 seconds.

When I switch off the engine, the camera continue operating as i'm running on external battery. As a result, when I pressed OK button, it will stop recording for normal recording after I have off the engine. Once there is motion, it will start recording again for 12 seconds.
Yes, but with motion detection on, I would assume you would not need to press the OK button to stop regular recording. I would think it would stop recording on its own, as long as there is no motion being detected. I'll test it on my DAB202.

Last edited:
Back