SG9665GC High Contrast/Dynamic Range Flaw and other Discouragements

I see the same exposure problems with mini 0903 (same processor and sensor)

Good point! I am coming around to thinking that a "big" part of this problem here is the sensor and processor combination more than any firmware issues. It may not in the end be fixable.

hey @Dashmellow this seem like it might be the only camera suitable for your needs, I reckon there would be a suction mount available to mount this to your window. critique this one will you and get back to us and see if it meets your needs. if it does I'm sure jokiin would make a remote camera model for you at around $150,000.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWF55/

Always these semi-trolling dumb posts from you that add nothing constructive to the discussion. Sad really.

hey @Dashmellow this seem like it might be the only camera suitable for your needs, I reckon there would be a suction mount available to mount this to your window. critique this one will you and get back to us and see if it meets your needs. if it does I'm sure jokiin would make a remote camera model for you at around $150,000.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWF55/
I don't think this will do. No capacitor option :)

to anyone that can provide samples of exposure issues we need the full unedited video sample of the problem, screenshots are great to highlight what point to look for in a video but without the whole video we have very little to go off

as I have said before we are still working on this, we need to get the AE table right (further adjustments happening at the moment) then will be doing contrast and brightness adjustments once we have the weighting correct

to anyone that can provide samples of exposure issues we need the full unedited video sample of the problem, screenshots are great to highlight what point to look for in a video but without the whole video we have very little to go off

as I have said before we are still working on this, we need to get the AE table right (further adjustments happening at the moment) then will be doing contrast and brightness adjustments once we have the weighting correct

You know, I've spend a lifetime working in the photography and printing industries with a specialty in color management, exposure calibration and tone matching, originally with color films and chemistry and more recently with digital work flow using calibrated device and custom profiles. Real world examples are important of course, but the actual work was and is always done with instrumentation and measurements. How can this not be the approach your engineers use to fix a two year old problem on this camera? You want them to view more random footage instead?

You asked me 16 months ago to provide samples, which I did...for months, and many others have provided footage as well going back a long time now. What more do you need to figure this out at this point or what to actually do about it?

I'm sorry to say this, but to be honest, I've started to wonder about the ability of the particular engineers you are working with to deal with this kind of problem after all this time. Sometimes very good and talented engineers have absolutely no understanding of what goes into good image making.

Last edited:
I need samples from the current firmware, video from 16 months ago is of no use for samples taken with current firmware, as I've said before the screenshot is helpful to point out what to look for in a video but without the video it is far less useful

if you can provide the original video to go with the screenshots that you posted that is going to help us greatly

I need samples from the current firmware, video from 16 months ago is of no use for samples taken with current firmware, as I've said before the screenshot is helpful to point out what to look for in a video but without the video it is far less useful

if you can provide the original video to go with the screenshots that you posted that is going to help us greatly

You've certainly received more recent footage from me and others.

It is interesting that you keep asking for footage over and over again but avoid actually discussing what is going on in these screen shots.

You've certainly received more recent footage from me and others.

and we need more, of the footage that others have shared I don't really have much in the way of what you keep finding so really need videos that show this specifically, if you can't give us video that go with the screenshots you've posted we don't have much to work with, video is not photography, you're moving and the conditions are changing constantly, we need the detail

and we need more, of the footage that others have shared I don't really have much in the way of what you keep finding so really need videos that show this specifically, if you can't give us video that go with the screenshots you've posted we don't have much to work with, video is not photography, you're moving and the conditions are changing constantly, we need the detail

Is there another manufacturer here on DCT who requests and requires constant submissions of footage from customers to get their cameras to work properly after nearly two years on the market?

One way or another I've been demonstrating the same basic problem for 16 months and for some reason you still take the position that you really don't quite understand the issue or even quite accept that it is real. You don't acknowledge that others have reported the same issues and somehow suggest that it's only me because my driving conditions seem to manifest the problem more dramatically. Do you think multiple overly dark screen shots taken at different times on different days in different lighting might not show up in the actual raw footage? I've provided raw footage fairly recently to you privately at your request and also publicly here on DCT via DropBox. Remember?
Somehow now you still need more footage, otherwise you just can't fix this?

I hope you know we are trying our best that's all anyone can ask here if you're willing to continue working with us. If not, My offer for a full refund still stands if you are that un-satisfied. We recently gained access to the Novatek factory engineering resources and will optimize the IMX322 to the best of its ability.

Is there another manufacturer here on DCT who requests and requires constant submissions of footage from customers to get their cameras to work properly after nearly two years on the market?

most manufacturers you get what you get and they don't do anything to improve it, you can't always replicate in a lab environment what you can capture in the field, to date the issues you have encountered have been very hard to replicate so your footage would be of greater use for analysis

I've provided raw footage fairly recently to you privately at your request and also publicly here on DCT via DropBox. Remember?

yes I remember it quite well, it doesn't however match the screenshots you have posted

Somehow now you still need more footage, otherwise you just can't fix this?

yes, I still need more footage, I have very little sample video from the new AE table firmware which exhibits the problem that you are showing, I keep asking because we don't have the samples we need

Yesterday when a member asked me "Did you ever solve your exposure problems with the 2 SG9665GC-V2 that you have?" You felt the need to jump in with a defensive explanatory answer before I could even reply to the question directed to me. Of course, immediately, @jokiin felt the need to jump in too to reassure the member that, "We are doing some further AE table weighting adjustments at the moment".

The question was not directed to either of you in any way shape or form yet this is what we witness over and over again. I've been observing this pattern here as the two of you are like a 24/7 tag team jumping into the ring each and every time to put out any brush fires you think may be igniting lest they damage the relentless promotion and marketing of a decent but flawed and highly overrated, over-hyped product, often congratulating each other afterwards with mutual hits on the like button while you are at it.

I posted here today because I promised the member yesterday I would after he asked the question. I was hoping that both you and jokiin and perhaps others with a vested interest in this camera might have something interesting, helpful or insightful to say about these images but instead you both ignore them completely, including the interesting simultaneous WDR comparison the new Mobius 2. Instead, of analyzing what is being presented to you all you both have to offer is the usual defensiveness and diversions as if the whole thing somehow still relies on receiving enough sample footage from people after all this time.

Maybe it's time to just take up Pier28's offer and move on to a new camera. It's obviously not meeting your needs, or being updated in a timely manner to meet your needs. If I was unhappy with a product, and was offered a refund over a year after purchase, I'd jump on it and move on.

what file are you talking about?

The RAW file you privately asked me to post for you on Dropbox.

Anyway, as you know I live in an area where I have very limited bandwidth where it can take me two or three hours to upload a 5 minute clip, otherwise I'd be happy to send you everything.

I'm not looking for a dispute with you but 16 months ago in May, 2015 when I first reported these problems with the GC you suggested I try re-calibrating (which up until that point was supposed to be all about fixing hot pixels) and went on to say, "and that may well be affecting exposure and contrast results, we're also doing some fine tuning of the firmware but that's not quite ready for public release just yet". I never anticipated that all this time later I'd still be posting screen shots like you see today.

I do appreciate all the hard work you've done here and the improvement and I thought the problem was fixed at first. What else can I do but try to demonstrate what I am experiencing?

Maybe it's time to just take up Pier28's offer and move on to a new camera. It's obviously not meeting your needs, or being updated in a timely manner to meet your needs. If I was unhappy with a product, and was offered a refund over a year after purchase, I'd jump on it and move on.

I bought the SG9665GC because after years of DIY and experimentation I wanted and needed a reliable set-and-forget camera up front and it boggles my mind how many countless hours I had to invest in this thing at this point. Sending it back at this point would feel like I've flushed all this time and effort down the toilet, and perhaps I have so I'll take your suggestion under advisement. Of course, you should understand that the offer to refund my money may not be one of generosity but in my view at this point is an attempt to silence a vocal customer who is bringing unwelcome attention to a long term unresolved problem; so there is that perspective to consider.

I live in an area where I have very limited bandwidth where it can take me two or three hours to upload a 5 minute clip, otherwise I'd be happy to send you everything.

Maybe set your clip length to 1 minute for now so the upload is less painful when and if you want to send us samples. (Assuming you are willing to continue this thread asking for improvement) If you really want to help us move forward we really need raw video examples of what you're showing in still frame grabs. As Rick said, your driving scene is not easy to replicate where we are. I'll see if I can get anything close driving around the Lake Tahoe mountains. The flatlands out in the desert look great for me.

I'll even send you a flash drive with a pre-paid label if that's easier for you to send all your raw video samples. I'm willing to work with you or give a refund. I'm not sure what else to offer or say. There is no silencing attempt here just my normal customer service effort.

Maybe set your clip length to 1 minute for now so the upload is less painful when and if you want to send us samples. (Assuming you are willing to continue this thread asking for improvement) If you really want to help us move forward we really need raw video examples of what you're showing in still frame grabs. As Rick said, your driving scene is not easy to replicate where we are. I'll see if I can get anything close driving around the Lake Tahoe mountains. The flatlands out in the desert look great for me.

After my recent internet connectivity issues with my ISP I got a complaint about exceeding my "upload capacity" They seem to have no problem with how much I download. My MAX rated upload bandwidth is 768 kbps but I never can get anywhere near that speed. Let me see what I can do.

Back