High quality low light 1ch dashcam - upgrading from Mobius

The design of the AkenoriNX01 looks good for anti-glare features. I see that it is not released yet but is there an estimated price yet ?

The design of the AkenoriNX01 looks good for anti-glare features. I see that it is not released yet but is there an estimated price yet ?
We will most probabaly target USD 199, but for forum members I have a special offer for USD130. If you are interested, just let me know ) We plan to start shipments late Novemver.

There still does not appear to be a clear winner for nighttime quality. And the "best dashcams of 2016" page is extremely outdated and still recommends Mobius and other piss-poor cameras.

Can anyone help me decide please, I would like to purchase this week.

Budget is pretty much not a factor at all, I just want protection from hit and runs at night.

From footage it looks like my best choices are one of these four:

A119
Thinkware F770
Street Guardian SG9665GC
Street Guardian SGZC12RC

Thanks very much for any help

There still does not appear to be a clear winner for nighttime quality. And the "best dashcams of 2016" page is extremely outdated and still recommends Mobius and other piss-poor cameras.

Can anyone help me decide please, I would like to purchase this week.

Budget is pretty much not a factor at all, I just want protection from hit and runs at night.

From footage it looks like my best choices are one of these four:

A119
Thinkware F770
Street Guardian SG9665GC
Street Guardian SGZC12RC

Thanks very much for any help
Now that you've waited this long, why not wait a couple more weeks and get the A119S? That is actually designed for night time use.

There are many dash cams can have better night video quality than mobius, but there is no so "amazing" product have very very good night video quality.
The best sensor for dash cam at present maybe is Sony IMX291, last 2 weeks we checked the latest Aptina AR0239 sensor at Aptina testing laboratory, have good night video quality , but they told maybe just close to the IMX291.

And the lens and tuning make much difference, mobius still do a little better than most of other cameras at night which use same solution.

Reactions: Mtz
Putting a C2 lens on your mobius should make a big difference and should hold you over until the next gen dashcams come out in 2017.

Putting a C2 lens on your mobius should make a big difference and should hold you over until the next gen dashcams come out in 2017.
C2 lens is good, is a 7G lens with 2 aspherical pcs glasses. It is a F2.8 lens, mainly designed for action cams, we have done lots of testing for this lens with different sensor.

Reactions: Mtz
C2 lens is good, is a 7G lens with 2 aspherical pcs glasses. It is a F2.8 lens, mainly designed for action cams, we have done lots of testing for this lens with different sensor.
F2.8 is quite limiting.. Videos with it look much brighter. Im surprised.

Yes, a good F2.8 lens can be better than some declared F2.0 lens.

I posted the following screenshot capture on the JooVuu forum recently - JVX (left) vs MobC2 (right).
Mobius image looks bright enough but I'm suspecting some electrickery going on (firmware is trying to greatly amplify what light reaches the sensor, or very long exposure time to gather the light) and the end result was that the JVX had several frames with clear number plate and vehicle make/model while MobC2 just had a bright blur.

-

Now that you've waited this long, why not wait a couple more weeks and get the A119S? That is actually designed for night time use.

It's coming soon, and should be the best compared with the other cameras I listed?

Do you mean @"protect from hit and run" while car is parked, right ?

I actually meant at night time on the road, in case you cannot yell out the license plate for camera microphone. I want best night time footage possible, that is priority. and must have capacitor.

parking mode is a plus but not a necessity. I like that on the Thinkware cams in parking mode they go down to 1 FPS to save space and battery in parking mode. although I think 5 or 10 would be better.

I posted the following screenshot capture on the JooVuu forum recently - JVX (left) vs MobC2 (right).
Mobius image looks bright enough but I'm suspecting some electrickery going on (firmware is trying to greatly amplify what light reaches the sensor, or very long exposure time to gather the light) and the end result was that the JVX had several frames with clear number plate and vehicle make/model while MobC2 just had a bright blur.

I remember reading that a firmware update made Mobius footage look worse at night. I wasn't able to confirm or deny, but I wasn't looking at exact same footage side by side -- both firmware versions just looked "bad" to my eyes. Wouldn't be surprised if you nailed it right on the head. Great camera for FPV, not so much for dashcam. Guess I gotta buy a drone to play with :)

It's coming soon, and should be the best compared with the other cameras I listed?

I actually meant at night time on the road, in case you cannot yell out the license plate for camera microphone. I want best night time footage possible, that is priority. and must have capacitor.

parking mode is a plus but not a necessity. I like that on the Thinkware cams in parking mode they go down to 1 FPS to save space and battery in parking mode. although I think 5 or 10 would be better.

I remember reading that a firmware update made Mobius footage look worse at night. I wasn't able to confirm or deny, but I wasn't looking at exact same footage side by side -- both firmware versions just looked "bad" to my eyes. Wouldn't be surprised if you nailed it right on the head. Great camera for FPV, not so much for dashcam. Guess I gotta buy a drone to play with :)
At night NON of dashcams can capture numberplates on the move if speed difference between two cars is over around 5-15km/h (+/-) even if they are moving in the same direction so you better keep micropfone always ON. Our eyes may capture way much more info at night from moving vehicles than dashcams.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, it is coming soon, not sure exactly when but since this thread is over a month old I reckon a few more weeks should be soon enough...

It has the next generation of sensor, designed to work in low light, so it will be better than the other cameras in your list. In low light conditions you can expect it to have less than half the amount of motion blur due to it's improved sensitivity and maybe even better due to using a high brightness lens (low F number).

At night NON of dashcams can capture numberplates on the move if speed difference between two cars is over around 5-15km/h (+/-) even if they are moving in the same direction so you better keep micropfone always ON. Our eyes may capture way much more info at night from moving vehicles than dashcams.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Obviously i can't buy something that don't exist. I want BEST night time footage. whether it will be necessary, or whether it will capture plate is anyone's guess. I want BEST chances in case of catastrophe.

Yes, it is coming soon, not sure exactly when but since this thread is over a month old I reckon a few more weeks should be soon enough...

It has the next generation of sensor, designed to work in low light, so it will be better than the other cameras in your list. In low light conditions you can expect it to have less than half the amount of motion blur due to it's improved sensitivity and maybe even better due to using a high brightness lens (low F number).

I'm sold! is there an email list so I can be notified when it is available? Where will it be for sale?

I also need compact camera for rear, but I have hatchback. Either Thinkware F50 or DDPai Mini 2? Must be shaped like this because the glass is vertical.

Interesting how they look same with lights on.
They do look similar with the lights on, at such low speeds. It will be interesting to see how they compare at normal driving speeds.

They do look similar with the lights on, at such low speeds. It will be interesting to see how they compare at normal driving speeds.

I wonder whether it's using HDR, but the more movement, the more HDR becomes a liability and suffers more motion blur. It's possible that's exactly why the clip shown above is intentionally very slow speed.

Look here for normal videos of A119S, beta firmare. You can download original files, too.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back