Problem with Safety Guidance Speed Camera

Bluetiger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 Front & Rear
Hi,

I have come across a problem with the speed camera updates when I loaded the new version, 17.03.31.03 after installing this update I dont receive any speed camera updates. Does anyone have this problem? Im in the UK by the way.

Firmware: v1.00.06
Safety Guidance Version: 17.03.31.03

I contacted Thinkware to see if i can get the previous version of the safety guidance, 16.12.23.03 and was told no they dont have access to it. However it worked on that version.

They have also stated various times that in the driveinfo folder on the root of the micro sd card that there should be the smartguidepoint.dx2 file in there, even after taking out the sd card to view in a computer. On mine that file disappears?

That file should disappear once the camera has loaded it on. Can you see a camera database version number if you connect to the App or put the card into a PC? This may help but you've probably already checked most of it:

http://www.chameleondirect.co.uk/wordpress/speed-camera-warning-not-working-on-f750-or-x500-models/

I have seen that post and have followed it. Can I ask what version are you running on yours? Do you mean the Safety guidance version when you say camera database?

I reloaded on the firmware that I downloaded from the Thinkware Website and now the version shows this below, not the new 17.03.31.03

F770 Version.PNG

Last edited:
I need to know what other people's version numbers are they are running to see if that is the issue.

Having the LDWS and FCWS turned off, does that affect the speed camera to not work?

Last edited:
No lane departure etc won't affect the camera operation. You just got me thinking i never updated my cameras when the last update came out so i can't say if they worked for sure. I will email Thinkware and ask if there was an issue....

(PS I did get your email too but thought we can continue here in case it may help others too...)

No lane departure etc won't affect the camera operation. You just got me thinking i never updated my cameras when the last update came out so i can't say if they worked for sure. I will email Thinkware and ask if there was an issue....

(PS I did get your email too but thought we can continue here in case it may help others too...)

Oh yeah I sent that email as well, didn't realise it was actually you who wrote that post.

I don't get why mine doesn't work, gps is connected with a strong signal. From what I've read the safety guidance works using the gps and safety guidance together to get speed camera. But since upgrading the road safety database it has stopped working.

It is confusing as i downloaded the file earlier and put it on a X550 model and it did show the correct file name which as you say your screenshot a couple of posts above shows the old one. I will get my F770 camera updated right now and then see if they still work tonight and will let you know tomorrow. I'm sure it will be fine though otherwise i would have expected several calls by now!

It is confusing as i downloaded the file earlier and put it on a X550 model and it did show the correct file name which as you say your screenshot a couple of posts above shows the old one. I will get my F770 camera updated right now and then see if they still work tonight and will let you know tomorrow. I'm sure it will be fine though otherwise i would have expected several calls by now!

Can you take a screen shot of the current road guidance you have on your f770 before the update? I'm interested to know what version you have.

Sure see attached (I have put the update on the card but not inserted it to the camera yet)

Attachments

• F770 Camera Alert.png
    F770 Camera Alert.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 14
Sure see attached (I have put the update on the card but not inserted it to the camera yet)

That is exactly the same as mine as it came when I had it installed. I cannot get that version back. Thinkware U.K. Can't get that version they say. They advised me to return the unit to where I purchased it. Thinkware UK have no resolution to the issue at all but to return it.

The F770 firmware comes with an older to that one in your screen shot.

I'll take you up on that, need to see if it's the one I want. It is very odd that Thinkware do not have the older safety guidance firmwares available to download and use.

Last edited:

Ive loaded it on and its version 16.12.23.03!!! This is the version that the F770 came shipped with and sold to me.

You have saved my bacon on this one big time and speed cameras now working again. Im so happy :) :)

IMG_0128.PNG

Last edited:
Mine has developed that strange issue again about when trying to view footage in iPhone, app just closes / crashes.

Have you any idea what causes that? The only thing I can think of is to format the card again.

I need to know what other people's version numbers are they are running to see if that is the issue.

Having the LDWS and FCWS turned off, does that affect the speed camera to not work?

Mine has developed that strange issue again about when trying to view footage in iPhone, app just closes / crashes.

Have you any idea what causes that? The only thing I can think of is to format the card again.

Thinkware are still looking into this. As we speak they are checking some log files from a debugging App we supplied to a few customers trying to work out what's causing that issue. I can't give a fix date but it is being treated as a priority issue.....

Ive loaded it on and its version 16.12.23.03!!! This is the version that the F770 came shipped with and sold to me.

You have saved my bacon on this one big time and speed cameras now working again. Im so happy :) :)
View attachment 30317

My speed camera warning worked fine last night / today however i haven't actually checked what version my camera is showing

It did take the latest update which worked fine so it's very weird your unit didn't?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170421-134205.png
    Screenshot_20170421-134205.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 12
Thinkware are still looking into this. As we speak they are checking some log files from a debugging App we supplied to a few customers trying to work out what's causing that issue. I can't give a fix date but it is being treated as a priority issue.....

I have tried my iphone 5s on it with the latest ios 10.3.1 and it works fine. It has the same ios as my iphone 7 which does not work at all. My iphone 7 just keeps crashing.

So it kind of points to the phone or the software. In my iphone 7 i have tons and tons of crash reports for the thinkware app.

My iphone 7 was working perfectly with the dash cam software until yesterday when it would not allow me to watch anything from it.

Im going to have to wipe my phone again to see if that cures it, i have a feeling that once the iphone fails or crashes once to show footage it will never work again its something to do with the dash cam app itself, even deleting it and downloading it again doesnt help.
I think it stores some kind of information in the iphone to stop it ever working until you do a complete restore on the iphone.

I had to do a complete factory reset before on my iPhone, I tried to restore using an iCloud backup and that wouldn't work either. It has to be a complete factory reset and then setup phone again with nothing on it.

Surely this cannot be the only way to fix this issue?

im in the process of doing a factory reset and will only copy the dash cam app only to it and try again to see what happens.

Last edited:
The strange thing with this App issue is it seemed to start when nothing had been changed, it didn't seem to tally up with an iphone update or an App update this is what's confused everyone. I have had a couple of cameras that crash the app sent back to me and i then tested then with 2 different iphones that my colleagues have and it worked flawlessly!

You might just need to bare with Thinkware a bit here, like i say it's being treated as a priority.

It did take the latest update which worked fine so it's very weird your unit didn't?

Its very odd that some F770's are okay and some are not. Is there a quality control issue here with the cam itself?

Back