Looking for DashCam with over long battery life, park mode, wireless upload, live view, and more

Ferginator

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for one that has parking mode, discreet, has battery life of at least 12 hours, rechargeable batteries, can wirelessly upload videos in like 10 to 20 min segments to a storage device, I can also view it live, have night mode as well and a GPS tracking. I know it's quiet a list but unfortunately I'm in a situation where someone in my apartment complex has put me in a situation where I need one to monitor my car. So now I need a really good dashcam. I want the camera to have a long battery life so I can leave it in the car while I am at home and with rechargeable batteries I can swap them out every 12 hours and have the other one charging. Also I want it to be discreet, maybe look like the rear view mirror, like I have seen some of them, so it's not noticeable. I don't need ridiculous quality, just enough to take good video that can easily distinguish faces and capture good video in case it needs to be used later on. I would like one that I can also view in real time as well as have it upload 10 min clips maybe to my google drive or onedrive so I can review the footage if need and toss it if I don't need it. And would like night mode in case of the situation happening at night I need video captured and also in the rare event someone tries to take it, I can track it down.

I know this is a lot and I have tried looking around but can't find a good dashcam that meets what I am looking for and hoping someone who might know what I am looking for can suggest a camera that they know has these qualities. Any help would be very appreciated. Any model or brand suggestions, please.

You would think living in Irvine, California, which gets called the safest city in the US, I would not have to worry. But recently I moved into an apartment complex that seems to have someone who is taking it upon themselves to damage cars with a power drill, due to the damage not looking like a simple key mark as it ripped chips off the paint on my car, so deep it goes past the primer and into the steam itself. Whoever it was, drew a nice big "F" into my mustang and I can tell he used a power tool because he slipped up a few times which kinda gives it away as they had no control over it but put it super deep into my car, you can see the paint chipped away, primer under neither all the way to the metal itself was damaged. Now I am furious and problem is, no one can do anything about it. Not police or even the security. I don't associate with anyone in the apartment complex, I keep to myself. But someone clearly had a problem with me enough to do that to the car. I still have to talk to my insurance and it's not going to be cheap to fix and, unfortunately, I don't know if this person will come back to do this again. Usually you tell the police "I have no idea who would do something like this, I don't have a problem with anyone" and even though I don't have a problem with anyone because I avoid associating with anyone, there are a few neighbors who have caused problems in the complex.

The person I most suspect are 2 brothers that live together and 1 of them is disabled and the other has a well known bad temper problem. He has threaten to eat a woman's dog just because it kept barking too much and threatened to smash a couple kids skateboards just for being too close to his brother's vehicle. Unfortunately it seems he has a problem with people parking too close to his brother's car as well. His brother is handicapped and so he likes to park to the closest one to his apartment and his brother has caused arguments with people, including my brother in law's friend, who was handicap as well and parked in the handicap spot that his brother likes to park in when they come home. So the hot head and my brother in law's friend got into an argument a couple months ago. But after he realized the guy was handicap too, he backed down because he had the right to park there too. I try to ignore the guy and keep to my own business and the day my car got vandalized, I was parked right next to the handicap spot and there was no where else I could park. I work after hour shifts so I came home around 10AM and left for work around 8:40PM on Saturday 6/10 and some time around there, in broad daylight, my car got keyed so badly that the police said it looked too deep for a normal key to have done it.

He is the one person I have the most suspicion on, but as the 2 weeks have past I have come to learn that we also have another neighbor who has no problem complaining whenever they hear anyone else making too much noise and will get verbally violent and we have a few neighbors that are very defensive of their spots they park in. Overall, I have come to find that a lot of my neighbors are very hostile. Even offering a $150 reward for whoever gives me information that leads to the person responsible wasn't enough to get anyone to talk. And the police and my apartment complex say they will look into this but it's been 2 weeks and all I ended up getting was "Sorry, there is nothing we can do." My apartment complex has no security cameras and even after the excessive damage to my car, that clearly shows someone is willing to go out of their way to damage a car, will not bother to get cameras. They say Irvine is a safe city so they don't need cameras, otherwise they will have to raise the rent on everyone, and boy will my neighbors love me after that happens if I got them to do that, which they still wouldn't. And police say they don't have enough to go on and can't have a cop just sit there and watch my car. So at this point I have to constantly keep tabs on my car and use an old camera to monitor my car outside from my room, which can't get a good view from where it is parked. And clearly I'm not going to be getting any help from the parking security, that does its quick inspection rounds for 5 different apartment complex with 1 car, or the police. So I'm left with needing to find a way to catch this person if they attempt it again. I want to have my car faced out when I park with a dashcam so that way it will see anyone that walks up to the car and that way the dash camera can see a clear view of who is coming in and out.

Unfortunately, living in SoCal I have also had many close calls as well with drivers who are too busy texting or reckless driving or distracted and nearly caused an accident. Just yesterday, I had a BMW nearly drive me off the road because they weren't paying attention and came over into my lane right next to me. And I had been thinking about getting a dash camera for those crazy drivers but I kept talking about it with my family and thinking about it and I wasted too much time thinking and not doing it and a couple days before my car got vandalized, I was trying to look into some dashcams. So now I decided I need to get one because I can't risk it anymore. I need to get a good camera that is very good.

Here is the the damage and were I park
EMuq9iA.jpg

j4Ni4Tv.jpg

Do you have a window from your house that faces the car? Maybe a traditional CCTV would be the solution you need, to record the entire car area, not just looking forward? There are a lot of choices out there, even cheap ones that save to a cloud.

the product you would like doesn't exist, that's why you're having trouble finding it

probably best to study up on some of what is out there and see what features you can work with and narrow down to some models that might offer some of the features you'd like, you won't find it all though

No dashcam has a 12 hours battery life time.

Barely 12 minutes, the power source in dashcams are not meant for the cameras to record on, just there to finalize the last recording in the event of a crash where power ( cord ) get disrupted.

You can power most dashcams while parked with a USB power bank ( the 5 V ones, but that's the most used voltage )

I had my car vandalized too when i moved to this town, i am now parked in the back yard and have a 1080p IP camera on my balcony door ( not legal but i dont care ) aimed and zoomed in on my car down below.

Problem is you need at least a little light to be able to see anything in the recordings at night where i assume this douche bag are on the prowl.

Last edited:
Dashcams are primarily designed for use while the car is being used, hence why most are purposely powered from the car, with parking mode designed for if your car is left out in public for (at the most, generally) a couple of hours. But what you're basically asking for is a home CCTV system

Seriously invest in CCTV, I put a 4 camera system up at my parents and it's ace cost about £400 all in but can even watch it on phone away from home if needed

Do you have a window from your house that faces the car? Maybe a traditional CCTV would be the solution you need, to record the entire car area, not just looking forward? There are a lot of choices out there, even cheap ones that save to a cloud.

trust me I wish I could. This the the camera I have now. and this is the best as I can get to view my car. the spots are reserved parking, not assigned. so anyone can park anywhere available. This is the best spot and i have to interchange with one of my family members in order to keep this spot, but no guarantees. and this is the camera i have to use for now and thats the best it can see. Irvine "load everything with trees so that way a camera can't see a damn thing"
hMiKYJU.jpg

fItERGY.jpg

Can you not put a sneaky cam up a lot closer ?

the only thing i can think of is a camera in the car thats non discreet. but needs to have a great battery life

I never felt any need to get a home surveillance until my home and the three homes to the North side of mine were getting our Cable and Internet cut each night by a vandal. I placed my car pointed towards the corner of my garage wall, and pointed towards my neighbours front porch. Sure enough when the vandal jumped to catch hold of the cable, it set off the motion detection.

My two channel camera at the time had bad night time vision and the rear camera has a poor frame per seconds and the image was blurry when he walked past my rear window. My new A119, which has good night vision and a higher frames per second, would be more suitable. Which brings up another problem with using a dash cam in this case, most high resolution cameras only give you 7 hours of recording with a 64 gig card.

As the vandalism was occurring within six hours of my last car trip of the evening, I knew it would would catch the vandal. Most hardwired system to the car battery only provide 6 hours, and only records if there is motion. You may not be able to get something at a distance.

Have you ever thought of a "Trail cam". These camera's are placed in the middle of no where such as forests where I doubt there is any nearby electrical outlet and remain on for some time. They some pretty impressive pictures of things.

You are in the States and won't pay duty with getting thing from Spytec. http://www.spytecinc.com/. Just taking a look, he has a birdfeeder and rock cam, though pretty pricey.

Edit, changed the term from Deer cam to Trail cam, which is the correct term. I associate them with catching Deer and hence the confusion.

Last edited:
Instead of a dashcam, use an old iPhone, connect it to a big 20,000mha power bank and install the app iCam - Webcam Video Streaming' of SKJM, LLC

Setup the iPhone in your car, for example, lower the sun visor (at the windscreen) and attach (with tape) the iPhone to it. Enable motion detection and only record when needed.

Park the car under a lamppost (sufficient light) and you are good to go!

Instead of a dashcam, use an old iPhone, connect it to a big 20,000mha power bank and install the app iCam - Webcam Video Streaming' of SKJM, LLC

Setup the iPhone in your car, for example, lower the sun visor (at the windscreen) and attach (with tape) the iPhone to it. Enable motion detection and only record when needed.

Park the car under a lamppost (sufficient light) and you are good to go!
This happened in broad daylight, i even offered $150 for any information that leads to an arrest. no one is even talking. so a street lamp sadly doesnt help in this situation.

but ill look into the power bank

So if I got a dash cam and attached a Lithium battery portable power bank 20000mAh. would that be enough power for at least a day? are power banks are rechargeable right? sorry if it is a dumb question, just want to make sure. Are there any dash cameras that can upload video automatically to a remote storage device?

This doesn't fit all my requirements but maybe this might be just enough for what I need. Wanted to get your guys opinions. Also idk what this is so cheap because it sounds useful and saw some recorded video and it looks fine.

Cameras:

Storage:

https://www.ebay.com/i/272729657810?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Power:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Lithium-battery-portable-new-power-bank_60658033768.html?s=p

I mean if you put this all together, if that does work, that means, if I did the take calculation correctly, for about $40 I could get 2 power banks, swap them out while the other charges, have it record based on motion for the camera, i was hoping for non-stop but unfortunately that so far doesn't look possible, with IR, a long battery life, decent audio and video, and 32 GB of external storage. That does sound good right?

I mean if i could find a device that allowed for uploading to the cloud id also get a device for hot-spotting it too but i could find no such device that auto uploads recordings.

Unless someone can find an adapter that converts a female 15 Amp Decora to usb adapter and hook a power back to that then you could use this beauty, if you can hide it well enough.

Last edited:
this looks like it would work but if i connected it to a power source like a power bank, that should give it 24 parking wouldnt it?
Maybe,but you need to have two powerbanks and switch them.

Back