Mobius Super Capacitor.

different hardware, different firmware, not directly comparable for the issue that the Mobius has

But I'm pretty sure both JooVuu and Mobius have a cap-pair rated at 2.7V 5F and neither cam will run for 10s on cap power, although JVX will run for 3s because I use that option in my cams in my electrically troublesome cars.
I haven't tried it but it wouldn't surprise me if the JVX and Mob caps were interchangeable if the wires had the appropriate three-pin or two-pin connection for attachment to the main board.
So that would lead me to believe that JVX charges at twice the rate of the Mob, hence half the time before the cam is ready to save the in-progress file if power is interrupted.

But I'm pretty sure both JooVuu and Mobius have a cap-pair rated at 2.7V 5F and neither cam will run for 10s on cap power, although JVX will run for 3s because I use that option in my cams in my electrically troublesome cars.
I haven't tried it but it wouldn't surprise me if the JVX and Mob caps were interchangeable if the wires had the appropriate three-pin or two-pin connection for attachment to the main board.
So that would lead me to believe that JVX charges at twice the rate of the Mob, hence half the time before the cam is ready to save the in-progress file if power is interrupted.

lots of cams use the same size caps, they don't need to run for 10 seconds, that would be a workaround of sorts if the hardware was capable (it's not) but the wrong approach anyway

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 5 months & 3 years 2 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

this helps in some scenarios but not all, the problem happens when the camera initiates a shutdown command and then receives power again and it doesn't know what to do, rather than a startup delay timer a better approach is to setup a delay off timer, need a 3 wire timer, anytime power is applied to the accessory feed it holds power for X number of seconds before shutting down, this counters any power cut situations you're likely to encounter, cranking the engine etc as it will always keep power to the camera for whatever time you have set, when you do power off it does mean that the camera will continue to record for whatever time you have set as well, doesn't need to be much, 5 to 10 seconds is ample but that's not really a negative, just something to keep in mind when you want to eject the card to make sure it has shutdown first

the situation is fixable in firmware but they don't seem to know how to do it, a few dollars worth of parts and a bit of setup though and you can get around the problem without too much trouble

I think part of my problem is the delay circuit is missing some of the power fluctuations that are getting through to the Mobius. Why that failure directly relates to the Mobius capacitor's charge level I've got no idea.

I'm almost tempted to go back to a battery in this one- the vehicle is garaged and the camera is also sheltered from direct sunlight by a large sensor housing behind the mirror. (Or buy a different camera!!!)

I think part of my problem is the delay circuit is missing some of the power fluctuations that are getting through to the Mobius. Why that failure directly relates to the Mobius capacitor's charge level I've got no idea.

they're doing it wrong, that's the long and short of it

they're doing it wrong, that's the long and short of it

Hi all,

I recently purchased 4 mobius devices, for 2 cars, front and back and I have since swapped out 2 of them with super capacitors which meant changing the power off setting to immediate and was having the same issue as described earlier whereby turning the car ignition to accessories (ie listening to radio or whatever) and then starting the car seconds or minutes later meant that the recording stopped and didnt automatically restart.

This was on version 2.41. Following the advice on another thread I downgraded to v2.33 and the issue seems fixed, I can now turn ignition to accessories, leave it there for however long and then start the car and the recording just carries on. This is with the super capacitor.

Not sure what I am missing going to 2.33 from 2.41???

Changing to 2.33 so far seems to have fixed the problem I was having with auto record failing. From the file dates the capacitor has discharged and lost the date/ time multiple times; which I was initially happy to live with.

The problem is- when it happens multiple times- the creation date/ time will always reset to "01-Jan-2012 1:00am". Newer file versions (with that same reset date) will overwrite the older versions each time the capacitor loses the date/ time. So the highest date I've got - post the capacitor first losing charge- is 06-Jan2012. So around 6 days must be the limit of the super cap charge in my situation.

Cue Russ331 :whistle:

Last edited:
does the type of OTG cable will work on a Mobius with a capacitor? or it is only applicable in mobius with battery.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 6 months & 3 years 3 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 7 months & 3 years 4 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

My 2013 mobius has been running on the same capacitor for about 3 years. It's in a car that is driven usually 6 or 7 days a week, so no long periods without charge. Recently I have noticed that it has been losing the date and time, resetting to January 2012. I even had Dec 31st 2011 this week. It still records faithfully.

Do you think it's time for a new capacitor?

I bought a new one when I got my M2. I'll try that to see if it makes any difference. The M2 doesn't seem to like it anyway!

Tried my other capacitor - same result. The M1 seems to lose date/time after less than 2 days, using either of the capacitors I have. Any suggestions on what to do? Buy another new capacitor?

Only last a few days on my M1, car is not used very often, annoying really!

My 2013 mobius has been running on the same capacitor for about 3 years. It's in a car that is driven usually 6 or 7 days a week, so no long periods without charge. Recently I have noticed that it has been losing the date and time, resetting to January 2012. I even had Dec 31st 2011 this week. It still records faithfully.

Do you think it's time for a new capacitor?

I have an M1 here that is flaky like that also, with a battery that has plenty of life in it but it still loses time and date settings all the time

I have an M1 here that is flaky like that also, with a battery that has plenty of life in it but it still loses time and date settings all the time

Firmware corruption perhaps? Doesn't seem like that though. Happens with several firmware versions. Parasitic drain in the cam? Maybe- leaky diodes are a rather common electronic disease. Faulty transistors can leak current too. Out-of-spec components in the charging circuit? Could very well be that, as then batteries and caps wouldn't fully charge even if the cam seems to show no other abnormality in that section. Could do a comparison check against a known good cam if you have one.

As random and seldom as this problem is seen, my best guess is that some component is out-of-spec and draining the charge. As all these cases seem similar in time-until-failure versus the usual 5+ days properly operating cams give, I think that it is the same failure point in all the defective cams. If it is a discrete component, a fix would be cheap and easy but given the overall scarcity of those I think it is most likely an internal chip failure. If that is correct, then it's probably as cheap to replace the whole PCB unless you're set up to program and replace chips, which most of us are not :whistle:

Trying new caps is worth a shot as they are cheap, but I would not place any wager on that providing a permanent or even temporary fix. I'd still try it because sometimes you get lucky when you least expect it :D

Phil

On the same topic. I have 2 Mobius in my car. Front is A lens with battery. Rear is C2 lens with S. Capacitor. I download the files to my PC, format the cards, reset the parameters with Msetup once a month. Lately I notice the time on downloaded clips have a difference of approx 6 minutes. Not a big deal but weird to have recording passing the same location and showing different time.

Firmware corruption perhaps? Doesn't seem like that though. Happens with several firmware versions. Parasitic drain in the cam? Maybe- leaky diodes are a rather common electronic disease. Faulty transistors can leak current too. Out-of-spec components in the charging circuit? Could very well be that, as then batteries and caps wouldn't fully charge even if the cam seems to show no other abnormality in that section. Could do a comparison check against a known good cam if you have one.

As random and seldom as this problem is seen, my best guess is that some component is out-of-spec and draining the charge. As all these cases seem similar in time-until-failure versus the usual 5+ days properly operating cams give, I think that it is the same failure point in all the defective cams. If it is a discrete component, a fix would be cheap and easy but given the overall scarcity of those I think it is most likely an internal chip failure. If that is correct, then it's probably as cheap to replace the whole PCB unless you're set up to program and replace chips, which most of us are not :whistle:

Trying new caps is worth a shot as they are cheap, but I would not place any wager on that providing a permanent or even temporary fix. I'd still try it because sometimes you get lucky when you least expect it :D

Phil
I'm probably going to replace the whole camera with a new lens D M1, rather than start taking bits out. The old one still records well and saves every file without fail, so I'd like to preserve it as it is. It just forgets what day it is sometimes - must be a sign of getting old!

On the same topic. I have 2 Mobius in my car. Front is A lens with battery. Rear is C2 lens with S. Capacitor. I download the files to my PC, format the cards, reset the parameters with Msetup once a month. Lately I notice the time on downloaded clips have a difference of approx 6 minutes. Not a big deal but weird to have recording passing the same location and showing different time.

the time keeping isn't real accurate on the Novatek chipset, a bit of drift like that is pretty typical

Back