Mobius Super Capacitor.

It just forgets what day it is sometimes - must be a sign of getting old!

Hoo boy can I ever identify with that :p Of my 4 cams Mobius keeps time best; my G1W-HC side cams do have time drift. If time were an issue post-event, the videos could be compared to show concurrency and the time taken from the most accurate cam ;) That's not a fix for those having only one cam though. If something is of importance to you, then you must keep an eye on it and maintain it. Like checking your tire pressure and engine oil level, checking your cams should be done on a regular schedule. My cams get that every 2 weeks if I have time and remember, but never go more than a month between bench-checks here on my desk where time gets reset as needed :cool:

Phil

Hoo boy can I ever identify with that :p Of my 4 cams Mobius keeps time best; my G1W-HC side cams do have time drift. If time were an issue post-event, the videos could be compared to show concurrency and the time taken from the most accurate cam ;) That's not a fix for those having only one cam though. If something is of importance to you, then you must keep an eye on it and maintain it. Like checking your tire pressure and engine oil level, checking your cams should be done on a regular schedule. My cams get that every 2 weeks if I have time and remember, but never go more than a month between bench-checks here on my desk where time gets reset as needed :cool:

Phil
I'm not really worried about the M1 time & date being wrong - I might even turn off the time stamp on the video. I have a front-facing GC to compare against which gets its time from GPS.

On the same topic. I have 2 Mobius in my car. Front is A lens with battery. Rear is C2 lens with S. Capacitor. I download the files to my PC, format the cards, reset the parameters with Msetup once a month. Lately I notice the time on downloaded clips have a difference of approx 6 minutes. Not a big deal but weird to have recording passing the same location and showing different time.
I have had the same issues on several occasions. Then after resetting the parameters like you told me to do so long ago; they get back to normal.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 8 months & 3 years 5 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 8 months & 3 years 5 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.
Is it for Mobius 1 or 2 ?

Hi just a quick update: there are 22 months since I put the supercapacitor and my rear mounted Mobius B Lens works just fine. I check the files recorded on a weekly basis and I can tell that the time & date are correctly kept and the last saved file (when turning off the car engine) is playable on PC.
Hello friends! I gave up counting months cause my Mobius B lens is working as it should be. Me happy!

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 9 months & 3 years 6 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

the time keeping isn't real accurate on the Novatek chipset, a bit of drift like that is pretty typical

Evidently everyone isn't finding a bit of drift like that pretty typical. Whoever is now in charge of the selling/owning the Mobius could easily set up a testing facility in their lab to identify this condition and come up with a fix if they want to. Lots of times it's not the specific components in an electronic device but the quality of those components and wether their has been a change made in said quality for some reason.

Whoever is now in charge of the selling/owning the Mobius could easily set up a testing facility in their lab to identify this condition and come up with a fix if they want to..

if it was that easy the problem wouldn't be there, it's inherent to the chipset, not related to other components

if it was that easy the problem wouldn't be there, it's inherent to the chipset, not related to other components

Yeah, Novatek, not Mobius would be the party who would need to address this issue. It's really no different than a watch maker producing digital watches that don't keep good time.

@ Mobius developers, if you're listening.

Please fix what you broke in 2.41. 2.33 works fine but isn't compatible with the Android app if one wants to change settings on the phone.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 10 months & 3 years 7 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 11 months & 3 years 8 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

BTW, if someone wants more "charge" using the super caps such that the clock can be kept running for longer, you can replace the ones that Mobius sells for other higher capacity ones. The stock pack comprises two capacitors of 5 Farad rated to 2.5V each, connected in series for an equivalent capacitance of 2.5 F at 5V.

Electronic suppliers (such as Mouser or Digikey) sell larger caps, but they cost a bunch. :)

Incidentally, anyone knows if we can add a coin cell to the Mobius board to run the real time clock? Might have to be connected externally in series with a diode.

BTW, if someone wants more "charge" using the super caps such that the clock can be kept running for longer, you can replace the ones that Mobius sells for other higher capacity ones. The stock pack comprises two capacitors of 5 Farad rated to 2.5V each, connected in series for an equivalent capacitance of 2.5 F at 5V.

this can cause a bigger problem than the one you're hoping to solve, larger caps take longer to charge and the camera may not get them up to correct voltage for start/stop situations when starting the vehicle and you end up with corrupt recordings

I can't see how that would be different than putting in a larger battery. Say, 540 to 860 mAh. The charging is likely controlled by some generic chip that limits current based on the voltage in a feedback fashion. I don't think Mobius is smart enough to know the difference. ;)

Now, if you were to put in a smaller capacity capacitor, yes, I understand that this can cause file corruption when power is removed (like that which would happen when the internal battery finally dies).

I can't see how that would be different than putting in a larger battery. Say, 540 to 860 mAh. The charging is likely controlled by some generic chip that limits current based on the voltage in a feedback fashion. I don't think Mobius is smart enough to know the difference. ;)

Now, if you were to put in a smaller capacity capacitor, yes, I understand that this can cause file corruption when power is removed (like that which would happen when the internal battery finally dies).

a battery, even when almost flat, has enough reserve power to power the camera while starting the vehicle when the voltage cuts

with caps, if they haven't charged sufficiently and you cut power (remember this is typically with a few seconds of receiving power) the camera will shutdown and not restart (already a problem for some users with caps) or corrupt the file, bigger isn't always better

Ah... OK, I see what you mean. So, it's the "brown out" during cranking of the engine that can confuse Mobius into starting up and then being starved for power when using a capacitor before full voltage is restored. Hence, that is why the StreetGardians Cam have a startup delay. (y)

Thank for the information.

In fact that reminds me that it is for that very reason that I had implemented a DIY delay circuit in my daily driver for the 12 V rail. The transient killed the original power converter in my boost gauge.

Back