Mobius Super Capacitor.

Discussion in 'Mobius' started by fatpanda, Nov 15, 2013.

1. 2000rpm

2000rpm Well-Known Member

United Kingdom
    But I'm pretty sure both JooVuu and Mobius have a cap-pair rated at 2.7V 5F and neither cam will run for 10s on cap power, although JVX will run for 3s because I use that option in my cams in my electrically troublesome cars.
    I haven't tried it but it wouldn't surprise me if the JVX and Mob caps were interchangeable if the wires had the appropriate three-pin or two-pin connection for attachment to the main board.
    So that would lead me to believe that JVX charges at twice the rate of the Mob, hence half the time before the cam is ready to save the in-progress file if power is interrupted.

2. jokiin

jokiin Well-Known Member Manufacturer

China
    Dash Cam:
    Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    lots of cams use the same size caps, they don't need to run for 10 seconds, that would be a workaround of sorts if the hardware was capable (it's not) but the wrong approach anyway

3. russ331

russ331 Well-Known Member

United Kingdom
    Dash Cam:
    SGZC12RC, Mobius B(x2), Mini 0805
    Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 5 months & 3 years 2 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

4. murcod

murcod Active Member

Australia
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, A119
    I think part of my problem is the delay circuit is missing some of the power fluctuations that are getting through to the Mobius. Why that failure directly relates to the Mobius capacitor's charge level I've got no idea.

I'm almost tempted to go back to a battery in this one- the vehicle is garaged and the camera is also sheltered from direct sunlight by a large sensor housing behind the mirror. (Or buy a different camera!!!)

5. jokiin

jokiin Well-Known Member Manufacturer

China
    Dash Cam:
    Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    they're doing it wrong, that's the long and short of it

6. salman79uk

salman79uk New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I recently purchased 4 mobius devices, for 2 cars, front and back and I have since swapped out 2 of them with super capacitors which meant changing the power off setting to immediate and was having the same issue as described earlier whereby turning the car ignition to accessories (ie listening to radio or whatever) and then starting the car seconds or minutes later meant that the recording stopped and didnt automatically restart.

This was on version 2.41. Following the advice on another thread I downgraded to v2.33 and the issue seems fixed, I can now turn ignition to accessories, leave it there for however long and then start the car and the recording just carries on. This is with the super capacitor.

Not sure what I am missing going to 2.33 from 2.41???

murcod and jokiin like this.
  7. murcod

murcod Active Member

Australia
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, A119
    Changing to 2.33 so far seems to have fixed the problem I was having with auto record failing. From the file dates the capacitor has discharged and lost the date/ time multiple times; which I was initially happy to live with.

The problem is- when it happens multiple times- the creation date/ time will always reset to "01-Jan-2012 1:00am". Newer file versions (with that same reset date) will overwrite the older versions each time the capacitor loses the date/ time. So the highest date I've got - post the capacitor first losing charge- is 06-Jan2012. So around 6 days must be the limit of the super cap charge in my situation.

Cue Russ331 :whistle:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  8. jaro

jaro Member

Philippines
    Dash Cam:
    SG9665GC (front), BlackSys CF-100 (rear), Mobius (backup)
    does the type of OTG cable will work on a Mobius with a capacitor? or it is only applicable in mobius with battery.

9. russ331

russ331 Well-Known Member

United Kingdom
    Dash Cam:
    SGZC12RC, Mobius B(x2), Mini 0805
    Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 6 months & 3 years 3 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Isoprop, Bungus and SawMaster like this.