Original Mobius night recording with 4mm ~ F1.2 lens (!)

@harsh, do you have links for the 8mm and 12mm lenses?

I don't, was told that the price is the same, hence to place the order using this listing and mention the exact requirements in the comments box. Availability was discussed.

I don't, was told that the price is the same, hence to place the order using this listing and mention the exact requirements in the comments box. Availability was discussed.

I think I found them on the seller's page. The 8mm & 12mm both appear to be ƒ/2.0.

Edit: I'm looking at the 5MP versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...M12-cctv-board-camera/215179_32682582847.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...M12-cctv-board-camera/215179_32682582847.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...onitoring-remote-alarm/215179_1671587713.html

Last edited:
They don't seem to have listed the 3MP ones I bought, should have an answer by tomorrow.

They may not be super-fast Starlight type lenses but they appear to be decent lenses are very good prices. I guess we'll know more if you take delivery of the ones you initially ordered. I spent some time perusing the company's offerings and they have a many interesting items.

They may not be super-fast Starlight type lenses but they appear to be decent lenses are very good prices. I guess we'll know more if you take delivery of the ones you initially ordered. I spent some time perusing the company's offerings and they have a many interesting items.

Found them, most probably these with the IR filter -

8mm - f/1.6 - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...CCTV-CAMER-LENS-10pcs/215179_32433947658.html

12mm - f/1.8 - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...r-cut-filter-m12-lens/215179_32680519689.html

Here's the reason why I don't like adjustible lenses, like the A119s..... :censored:

vlcsnap-2017-10-23-22h12m23s484.png

And a few interesting screenshots, all at 1080/30 with:

F1.2 @ EXP -20 (WDR ON)
A110S @ EXP +0.3 (WDR ON)
JooVuu X @ EXP 0.0 (HDR mode)

(It would seem A119S readabillity is better @ 30fps in daytime, but it's marginal)

Pictures in above order:

vlcsnap-2017-10-24-09h21m13s375.png
vlcsnap-2017-10-24-09h21m07s163.png

vlcsnap-2017-10-24-09h21m01s716.png

Parked / all lights off.... interesting how A119S is REALLY trying to compensate for the exposure....
vlcsnap-2017-10-23-22h17m23s164.png
vlcsnap-2017-10-23-22h17m29s130.png
vlcsnap-2017-10-23-22h17m16s759.png

And here's yours truly with interior lights on..... check out the 3 contestors up front...
vlcsnap-2017-10-24-09h23m08s991.png

If you must know, the yellow text plates say:

"Dont follow me, I'm lost too" and "Warning! From zero to bastard in 3 seconds".

Just to satisfy your curiousity..... :D

Put up a little compilation Mobius F1.2, various times in the day and the night

Seller got back with the specs , 8mm - f/1.6 and 12mm - f/1.8.

The 12mm lens is not 1/2.7, it's 1/2.5. So I'm guessing it'll be around 10-11mm on the Mobius.

Seller got back with the specs , 8mm - f/1.6 and 12mm - f/1.8.

The 12mm lens is not 1/2.7, it's 1/2.5. So I'm guessing it'll be around 10-11mm on the Mobius.
I think the Mobius has a 1/3" sensor. This lens is 12mm on a 1/2.5" sensor. The focal length will appear to be longer than 12mm on the Mobius since its sensor will effectively crop out the middle 1/3" of the 1/2.5" image circle.

I think the Mobius has a 1/3" sensor. This lens is 12mm on a 1/2.5" sensor. The focal length will appear to be longer than 12mm on the Mobius since its sensor will effectively crop out the middle 1/3" of the 1/2.5" image circle.

From the comments here, "lazy me" took it to be 1/2.7, both lenses will be be narrower on the Mobius.

Other than the 2.8mm, available ones are anyway 1/2.5 or 1/2.7. Let's see how they look once mounted.

OK, I promised you guys to do another comparison with changed settings, however I haven't been very successfull due to very unclean inside windscreen so I will show some differences in daylight, night time is way to confusing due to the greasy smears on the inside windscreen, I don't know what my collegue driver was thinking, but he must have tried to "clean" the windscreen with some WD40 or I don't know what he was doing.....

MOBIUS with the Runcam Swift Gopro quality 120 degree lens:
SHARPNESS +20 / CONTRAST +20 / EXPOSURE 0 / SATURATION +20

F1.2:
SHARPNESS +20 / CONTRAST +20 / EXPOSURE -20 / SATURATION +20

A119S:
EV -0.3

JooVuu:
I don''t know.....

All in the above mentioned order:

View attachment 33969
View attachment 33968 View attachment 33971
View attachment 33970

View attachment 33976

View attachment 33975
View attachment 33973View attachment 33974

This was a good (and close) comparison (really liked it). One thing that I used to determine sharpness is the yellow building corner on the right (lines in the blocks) and the white blocks of whatever on the left side of the road. You can treat them ( sorta) as Lines Per Inch (LPI) scale for a fairly good estimate of the resolution, try it, it works!
However even though there is a winner, it's amazing how close they all are, just looking at picture quality. It just might pay big returns if the Mobius was worked with more as Dashmellow suggested a couple pages back, even though the newer cameras might have newer (and higher rated) camera sensors it's still doing great and I believe further to go.

As for that first picture with the 120* Runcam and Mobius it doesn't make a lot of sense the image quality on the license plates looks good but the yellow building corner is a complete blur (no definition), that would suggest a loss in lens quality as it nears the edges, personally I would sell the lens. Just my personal opinions!

Yes, the AR0330 sensor is 1/3". Full spec sheet PDF HERE for anyone interested.

This was a good (and close) comparison (really liked it). One thing that I used to determine sharpness is the yellow building corner on the right (lines in the blocks) and the white blocks of whatever on the left side of the road. You can treat them ( sorta) as Lines Per Inch (LPI) scale for a fairly good estimate of the resolution, try it, it works!
However even though there is a winner, it's amazing how close they all are, just looking at picture quality. It just might pay big returns if the Mobius was worked with more as Dashmellow suggested a couple pages back, even though the newer cameras might have newer (and higher rated) camera sensors it's still doing great and I believe further to go.

As for that first picture with the 120* Runcam and Mobius it doesn't make a lot of sense the image quality on the license plates looks good but the yellow building corner is a complete blur (no definition), that would suggest a loss in lens quality as it nears the edges, personally I would sell the lens. Just my personal opinions!

The Mobius with this lens is really amazing, I agree completely, as do many others here. I'm happy to have tried it, the F1.2 is a keeper. I bought another one, maybe I'll try it with the JooVuu X. But that one is to be phased out here I'm afraid. It's too unstable, and although quality has always been great, it has been outperformed by this A119S, and now even by a 4 year old Mobius with a new lens mind you...... where does it end... :D

The Mobius with this lens is really amazing, I agree completely, as do many others here. I'm happy to have tried it, the F1.2 is a keeper. I bought another one, maybe I'll try it with the JooVuu X. But that one is to be phased out here I'm afraid. It's too unstable, and although quality has always been great, it has been outperformed by this A119S, and now even by a 4 year old Mobius with a new lens mind you...... where does it end... :D

You seem to have a pretty good handle on what you are doing and coming to the right conclusions. I've been searching for a 12mm, f >=1.2 to 1.6 now for over two weeks in China using every resource I can get my hands on but have only found a couple that always had something I didn't like, LOL! It is totally amazing how many lens companies their are in China, amazing! Practically 100% of the time if you try to contact a company, you actually go through a intermediary (seller speaking english), and usually they deal as such with a lot of companies. That's what AliExpress is as a company with their sister company which usually deals in "Lot's"!
Anyway, I love what you are doing, like dashmellow kinda said, "It's really nice to see someone working outside the box for a change", good luck.

Oh, you stated where doe's it end?, When you go out to work and see that you need a new truck mount for the cameras you are driving :D:cool:!

You seem to have a pretty good handle on what you are doing and coming to the right conclusions. I've been searching for a 12mm, f >=1.2 to 1.6 now for over two weeks in China using every resource I can get my hands on but have only found a couple that always had something I didn't like, LOL! It is totally amazing how many lens companies their are in China, amazing! Practically 100% of the time if you try to contact a company, you actually go through a intermediary (seller speaking english), and usually they deal as such with a lot of companies. That's what AliExpress is as a company with their sister company which usually deals in "Lot's"!
Anyway, I love what you are doing, like dashmellow kinda said, "It's really nice to see someone working outside the box for a change", good luck.

Oh, you stated where doe's it end?, When you go out to work and see that you need a new truck mount for the cameras you are driving :D:cool:!

Thanks, I'm just a hauler now, but I used to be sales / marketing bif that was involved in industrial automation / engineering and advisory. So my first aim is to find what EVERYBODY wants. Yeah, that's what sales guys do. But there's the technical interest for me too,of course it's a bit of a hobby too. Hear me, I don't need nice filmic footage, I just need the best day AND night combination for trucking work, but until now you will not find an affordable dashcam that produces readable license plates at night in movement.....

[QUOTE="Lola, post: 370554, member: 29362"

Oh, you stated where doe's it end?, When you go out to work and see that you need a new truck mount for the cameras you are driving :D:cool:![/QUOTE]

I'll show you what I use.... Picture coming.

Thanks, I'm just a hauler now, but I used to be sales / marketing bif that was involved in industrial automation / engineering and advisory. So my first aim is to find what EVERYBODY wants. Yeah, that's what sales guys do. But there's the technical interest for me too,of course it's a bit of a hobby too. Hear me, I don't need nice filmic footage, I just need the best day AND night combination for trucking work, but until now you will not find an affordable dashcam that produces readable license plates at night in movement.....

Take a look at Dashmellow and kamkar 1 work/experimenting with Varifocle and 12mm camera lenses. It involves having two cameras but that isn't a terribly bad problem to solve. However you are right on the night time situation, but that problem will more then likely be with us for a long time.

I've been searching for a 12mm, f >=1.2 to 1.6 now for over two weeks in China using every resource I can get my hands on but have only found a couple that always had something I didn't like, LOL!
What about this one?

2017 Top Fashion Hot Sale Mega Pixels 1/2.5 Inch F1.6 M12 Cctv Board Camera Lens 12mm With Ir Cut
http://s.aliexpress.com/3qieaMz6
(from AliExpress Android)

Back