Original Mobius night recording with 4mm ~ F1.2 lens (!)

I've messaged the seller asking the MP count and whether an IR filter can be installed at their end, let's see.

Seller got back, it's 1MP and the filter can be added.

Thanks for thinking about what I am looking for but there are to many if's about the Ebay lens, one of the main ones being it has a 1/3" format (6.00mm Diameter). The Mobius also has a 1/3 " Sensor (6.00mm diameter), so they would have to align perfectly or there would be vignetting , the chance of that happening is very great. Since tolerances are somewhat loose on M12 type lenses it is best to go up at least one lens format size, that would be 1/2.7" format (6.72mm Diameter). According to the experts you can go up to 1/2" lens format (8mm) without any problems.

Oh, you stated where doe's it end?, When you go out to work and see that you need a new truck mount for the cameras you are driving :D:cool:!

OK, I promised you some pictures on how I mount the camera's in the truck. Many of you know I drive another truck every day, so I can't use a permanent solution, it needs to travel with me in my bag, and needs to be mounted and dismounted quickly, but securely.

The mounts start out like this:

IMG_20171031_131021983_HDR.jpg

Yes, generic steel door hanger, bought from .... don't remember, some chinese shop, virtually for grabs....

Then take a hammer and an anvil of some sort, reshape to this:

IMG_20171031_131041265_HDR.jpg

I need this shape due to the trucks dashboard shape, they mount right in front of me where I sit, behind the steering wheel (picture further down), where there is a ledge I can stick these mounts on.

Under the round black rubber there is a round, flat magnet which sits in foam rubber which I cut out from protective, self adhesive pads that go under your chair-legs.

Rubber for stability, and to prevent the camera from inadvertently turning away from the windscreen.... I can't fiddle around when driving.

Stick a metal plate on the camera's bottoms

IMG_20171031_131052467.jpg

and then it looks like this with camera on (single use)

IMG_20171031_131117712.jpg
If I want to do some comparison, I use 2 of these mounts and a little bridge, made from the same door hangers, stick some magnets on, and cover with foam and rubber again (I used a damaged innertube for this one....)

IMG_20171031_131128868_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171031_132722324_HDR.jpg

Contraption with camera's on:

IMG_20171031_132741357.jpg

As you probably see, I use some foam or rubber pads to protect the dash from scratches.

Hope you like it, and maybe can put you in a direction to solve something similar.

Here's a picture, let's say I made it ONLY to show you the mounts behind the steering wheel..... :rolleyes:

IMG-20170619-WA0000.jpg

Better view here:

IMG-20170524-WA0015.jpg

4802.gif

Piece.

Just got me the other F1.2 lens, sticked it into the JooVuu X.... oh goodie goodie goodie, can't wait to test it out tomorrow....

IMG_20171031_191342498_HDR.jpg

ATTENTION: The lens is a little bit too easy fit to my taste, and fastening may need some glue. I however took the fastening ring from the Runcam Split lens, this enables fixing the lens without glue, maybe these rings can be obtained from some source, I don't know, just took it from Runcam's lens. Looks something like this:

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Oh, and since I didn't really get a satisfactory answer from JooVuu's "customer care", "support" or whatever that is called.... :cry: I took a spare Mobius 820mAh / 3.7V battery, soldered the Joovuu cable / connector to the battery, and hey presto, the JooVuu has juice again.... so cool.... repairing the Joovuu X with Mobius spare parts.... HAHAHAHAHA :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it works.

AND IMPORTANT: the 820mAh fits like a GLOVE into the Joovuu's housing....! :D

Maybe of help for anyone....

Piece.

Last edited:
@dirkzelf

The Mobius looks like a sci-fi laser weapon sitting there :D :ROFLMAO: Good job on the mounts- simple and effective (y)

Phil

I just received notification that my new Starlight lenses are arriving today :D

Got my second F1. 2, here's some examples in the JooVuu X. Is it better than with the original lens? I think it is, but I only have one JooVuu X so can't yet compare.

1st two are 60fps 1080p, the other two are 1080p/30, HDR.

Last edited:
I encountered a few teething problems in my aim to run a 4mm F1.2 and 6mm F1.2 side-by-side in my 2No Mobius 1 cameras. I started out with an original A-lens camera with the early production case (with a round LED), and a much newer lens D camera. I successfully modified the lens hole on the original case to accept the 6mm lens barrel. Managed to get it focused easily and locked off with the set screw. So far so good. First test run tomorrow :)

Then I tried to swap the D lens for the 4mm F1.2. It was then I found that the D lens was glued in to the lens holder, and there is no set screw on this new Mobius 1 :( It's also a plastic lens body rather than glass, so I had to be extra careful cutting away the glue without stripping the lens thread. I did get the glue off, and managed to remove the lens. Then I noticed that the D lens holder has a much shallower threaded depth than the A lens, approx 6mm vs 12mm. Unfortunately that was not enough to hold the lens thread secure once it was in focus - it almost fell out just by tapping the camera. So that lens holder is only good for lenses with a short back focal length :mad:

Thankfully I have another A2 lens Mobius on order, which looks like it has a good length lens holder so I can swap out the A2 for the 4mm F1.2.

I encountered a few teething problems in my aim to run a 4mm F1.2 and 6mm F1.2 side-by-side in my 2No Mobius 1 cameras. I started out with an original A-lens camera with the early production case (with a round LED), and a much newer lens D camera. I successfully modified the lens hole on the original case to accept the 6mm lens barrel. Managed to get it focused easily and locked off with the set screw. So far so good. First test run tomorrow :)

Then I tried to swap the D lens for the 4mm F1.2. It was then I found that the D lens was glued in to the lens holder, and there is no set screw on this new Mobius 1 :( It's also a plastic lens body rather than glass, so I had to be extra careful cutting away the glue without stripping the lens thread. I did get the glue off, and managed to remove the lens. Then I noticed that the D lens holder has a much shallower threaded depth than the A lens, approx 6mm vs 12mm. Unfortunately that was not enough to hold the lens thread secure once it was in focus - it almost fell out just by tapping the camera. So that lens holder is only good for lenses with a short back focal length :mad:

Thankfully I have another A2 lens Mobius on order, which looks like it has a good length lens holder so I can swap out the A2 for the 4mm F1.2.

You can buy a deeper aftermarket M12 threaded lens holder and simply swap it for the shallower original.

Here's an example of one that is 16.5mm tall with 18mm screw hole spacing.
http://www.m12lenses.com/Plastic-M12-Lens-Holder-p/pt-lh007p.htm

PT-LH007P-2T.gif

This business of Mobius doing away with the adjustable focus lenses is a huge step backwards!:mad:

You can buy a deeper aftermarket M12 threaded lens holder and simply swap it for the shallower original.

Here's an example of one that is 16.5mm tall with 18mm screw hole spacing.
http://www.m12lenses.com/Plastic-M12-Lens-Holder-p/pt-lh007p.htm

View attachment 34263

This business of Mobius doing away with the adjustable focus lenses is a huge step backwards!:mad:
Thanks. I have a spare C2 lens module & lens that I salvaged from a damaged mobius. I can try removing its lens holder to see if that works.

Back