Dashcam with REAL parking mode

chris-s

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S-2CH, DR750X-2CH, A129-DUO, many others...
Hi all,

My wife has a new car.
I would like to install a dashcam with a good parking mode.

Should I buy a Blackvue 750S-2CH right now, or may I expect some chinese dashcams to come this year with a similar buffered parking mode (motion detection + G-sensor).

A 2CH Streetguardian with buffered parking mode would be perfect !

So far, Goluk is the only brand I know from China that have buffer parking mode.

anker told me this is why they made only battery dashcams as capacitor can't have parking feature! They said they have worked harder on more heat resistant dashcams and will continue to do so but they ain't going for capacitor. Parking monitor is important feature in their dashcam products and this is why they only go for battery.

BTW, is this true?

BTW, is this true?

it's true for the type of parking mode their cameras do, if you have a camera that goes into a sleep state and only wakes up when the G-Sensor activates and then goes back to sleep after then this needs an internal battery

it's not what most consumers perceive to be parking mode though

Last edited:
@jokiin

What according to you is true 'Parking Mode'?

As motion can't be detected reliably, what's the ideal configuration?

Last edited:
@jokiin

What according to you is true 'Parking Mode'?

As motion can't be detected reliably, what's the ideal configuration?

I don't think the type of parking mode they use is that useful, it wakes up after the fact and takes a couple of seconds to start recording, the odds of catching anything relevant are greatly reduced

Garmin Dash Cam 55 has a good buffered parking mode.

I don't think the type of parking mode they use is that useful, it wakes up after the fact and takes a couple of seconds to start recording, the odds of catching anything relevant are greatly reduced

Hence the need for pre-buffer or continuous time-lapse till motion is detected, but wait the motion thing can't be done reliably.

Last edited:
Hence the need for pre-buffer or continuous time-lapse till motion is detected, but wait the motion thing can't be done reliably.

I think timelapse is a better option than motion detect as it's too easy for motion detect to either miss things or just record constantly, a combination of both may be the best solution but is not currently there

I think timelapse is a better option than motion detect as it's too easy for motion detect to either miss things or just record constantly, a combination of both may be the best solution but is not currently there

So if it's only a matter of saving space, why not just drop to 15fps and keep recording continuously.

Please bear with me, trying to learn a bit about the intricacies of Parking Mode, been a bit of a curve with this Motion-detect and G-sensor mumbo jumbo.

So if it's only a matter of saving space, why not just drop to 15fps and keep recording continuously.

timelapse saves space, dropping the framerate of video doesn't, it's not just about space though, there are still other concerns

for the record I don't feel any parking mode solution is perfect, just as no single camera is perfect, it's a matter of choosing what closest fits your needs

timelapse saves space, dropping the framerate of video doesn't, it's not just about space though, there are still other concerns

for the record I don't feel any parking mode solution is perfect, just as no single camera is perfect, it's a matter of choosing what closest fits your needs

One would think halving the number of frames would halve the file size too, but going by your response there seems to be more to it.

True. I'll keep recording continuously till a reliable solution is available, most I ever need it for is a couple of hours or so anyway.

I think some one should make a parking camera we can pair with our dash cameras, this way we would have the best of bort worlds.

I would prefer a audio trigger over motion trigger for parking, but i still think i will go with G-sensor for the main feature.

it's true for the type of parking mode their cameras do, if you have a camera that goes into a sleep state and only wakes up when the G-Sensor activates and then goes back to sleep after then this needs an internal battery

Which capacitor dashcam has such parking mode feature?

Not clear what you're asking for, can you elaborate?

Is not the answer to your own question?
it's true for the type of parking mode their cameras do,
if you have a camera that goes into a sleep state and only wakes up when the G-Sensor activates and then goes back to sleep after then this needs an internal battery
Now for dashcams with supercapacitor there is no possibility of switching to sleep state, as it is done for dashcams which have a battery

PS: Which modes are available to implement for dashcams with supercapacitor and what problems can occur when you look at the example of the mini 0906, it's here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...3-seconds-switching-from-2fps-to-30fps.31321/
Although in 0906 there is a timelapse mode and switching to full recording when motion or activation of the G-sensor, but pre-buffering is impossible and there is a video gap

So, @jokiin, you would suggest to buy a Thinkware F800, which has a timelapse feature ?

they get plenty of complaints about their parking mode, not their strong point

Could you tell me a little more about the complaints (or disadvantages)?

I was looking at the blackvue 750 as well.
I really liked the idea that the parking mode get automatically activated when vehicle doesn't move since I'm thinking about connecting dashcam to powerbank.

Are there other dashcams do similar thing?
Is this a pretty common thing in dash cam with parking mode feature?

Back