Garmin Dash Cam 55

Thanks - same here! At some stage the update corrupted my first Garmin - I lost the voice command and other functions. As I said elsewhere I’m on my second thanks to Halfords (excellent customer care).

It’s software is version 3.4 but the cyclops camera update is still showing as the Jul 2017 version.
I had a weird problem with voice update the other day. Every time I would plug the camera to the PC, Garmin Express would say that there is a voice update.
Update would complete without errors, but the next time it would offer the same update again. Upon closer inspection of the internal file system I discovered that instead of en_GB folder I had en_GB zero length size file. I recreated the folder from downloaded .zip file and the update finally completed. Now my voice version shows as 1.40.

New firmware version 3.50 available:

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Added a display during device powerup that shows the number of Parking Mode videos saved.
- Added a notification reminder to indicate when the SD card should be formatted.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the last recorded video from loading when viewing it in the VIRB app gallery.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the device to crash when formatting an SD card.
- Fixed an issue that could cause an Incorrect SD Card notification to appear when a compatible SD card is installed.
- Improved quality of the speed camera detection and warning system.
- Improved software stability.

This is what the new parking mode message looks like:
IMG_20180222_193821.jpg
Marginally useful, especially since you don't know how much time/space is left for general recording. They could have at least displayed something like "16 new, 120 total..." or "12GB (~1 hour) remaining for driving videos"

A set area / size of memory for events would be preferred, that way you know you always have XX GB / so and so hours of driving files and XX GB/ hours of event files.

Apparently, with 3.50 i have less unsolicited voice activated commands.

I ordered the camera.
Meantime i'm googleing how to extract gpx file from each videoclip but no informations yet. Is it already separate from the video or embedded?
I installed the Virb Edit pc software and i didn't see any option (i tried with some samples downloaded from this thread). Are there other choices (Virb looks terrible at me)?..
Thanks.

I ordered the camera.
Meantime i'm googleing how to extract gpx file from each videoclip but no informations yet. Is it already separate from the video or embedded?
I installed the Virb Edit pc software and i didn't see any option (i tried with some samples downloaded from this thread). Are there other choices (Virb looks terrible at me)?..
Thanks.
GPS info is embedded in the video file.

I received the camera and i started my experiment to extract GPS points from video files. "Virb Edit" already uninstalled, the application can't do that operation (crazy, is Garmin made...).

Sw:
- Garmin Dash Cam Player (not officially compatible with Dash Cam 55 and the new 2017 models - another crazy thing by Garmin...) - used to generate GPX files
- Registrator Viewer 6.0.0.22 - everybody here know the potential of this application
link to sw download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...dqa2gzSXUxVkdEMHp6bF9oWDBkRjZaVnA4cU5iQTFXZmc

Open "Garmin Dash Cam Player" and check/select path for video files from which to extract GPS points.
1520994776445.jpg

1520994798621.jpg
Close "Garmin Dash Cam Player".

Open the folder and copy the video files in it.
1520995020038.jpg

Open again "Garmin Dash Cam Player". It will show video files on the left column. Select one by one and export GPX files.
1520995243786.jpg
Definitively close "Garmin Dash Cam Player".

The GPX files are saved in same folder of video files.
1520995660769.jpg

Open "Registrator Viewer" and add all the video files.
1520995910677.jpg

It will make group of the trip with GPS data.
1520996017285.jpg

I don't know why each video recorded by the Dash Cam 55 is only 1 minute long (in the Dash Cam 20 is about 4 minutes); if the trip will be hours, extraction of GPX will be exhausting. Camera is good stuff, but software support horrible. Thank you Garmin, for 199€ you could make a little effort...

Back