BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Expanding my Firmware Modifications to include A119PRO, A119, A119S & A129DUO Dash Cameras to enhance and improve image quality and function. You are invited to Post your comments, questions, ideas & footage below.
This post will be updated with all future MOD releases to keep everyone up to date.
Current Stable MODs --- Updated April 20, 2019
Download https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-pro-mod-file.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Current Beta MODs for Testing --- Updated - closed
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

How to load Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com

NOTE: If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, copy official A119 Pro firmware file to microSD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTeam Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official VIOFO releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

Download A119 Pro Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-pro-mod-file.html

Viofo A119 Pro Dash Camera Review > https://viofo-a119-pro-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
Dashcam Buyer's Guide & Advice > https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/
Troubleshooting Guide for VIOFO A119/Pro/S > https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/p/dash-cam-troubleshooting.html

DashCamTEAM is a group of dedicated, respectful and helpful Dash Camera owners.
We are not associated with DashCamTalk or any Vendor or Manufacturer.
Our Forum Profile identifies active Members.

Please report all issues, thank you for using DCTeam MODs.
Contact BCHobbyist by clicking DashCamTalk Avatar to start Private Conversation, or from BCHobbyist YouTube Channel, or Blog.

Last edited:
Expanding my Firmware Modifications to include A119PRO, A119 & A119S Dash Cams. Below is a link to my A119PRO Modified Firmware Collection.
Seeking a few A119PRO owners to install and verify functionality, (must RENAME the binary file from FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbps_Sharp_DICE.bin to FWA119P.bin )
1) Flash Update proceeds normally (slow blinks, fast blinks, pause, slow blinks, fast blinks, restarts)
2) blue DICE Logo appears.
3) Menu Firmware Version has changed.
4) recorded test clips for 1440p@30, 1289p@30, 1080p@60, 1080p@30 should all be saved as 27 - 27.5 Mbps.
5) Sharpness has been modified from 40 down to 20 to reduce halo over-sharpening effect.
6) Sharpness may require increasing instead of lower, let me know if its worse.
7) does Parking Mode work normally at 27 Mbps ?

Sharing my A119PRO Modified Firmware. version 1.31 BitRate 27 Mbps + Sharpness 20 MOD + DICE Logo.
DOWNLOAD BCHobbyist A119 Modified Firmware : https://drive.google.com/open?id=13l_iCWCDkfbS895arQXlRJZNu64sCtS1

Increasing BitRate reduces pixelation on complex object like tree leaves, road surface, may reduce motion blur.
A119PRO is almost unbrickable if you don't flash the BootLoader. If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, copy official A119 firmware file to SD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist
View attachment 40581

Thanks for the work on this @BCHobbyist i'm going to give her a try. Those bumps in bitrate up and sharpness down look like the ticket, anything you want tested or stressed let me know.
Ps I've been lurking around for a while, just setup the account and want to add what I can as another point of data ect.

Thanks for the work on this @BCHobbyist i'm going to give her a try. Those bumps in bitrate up and sharpness down look like the ticket, anything you want tested or stressed let me know.
Ps I've been lurking around for a while, just setup the account and want to add what I can as another point of data ect.
Great to have your input and support, also very timely. With the help of another A119PRO owner found an error in flashing latest 24-MOD, now fixed. Could you flash update this newest MOD. Verify if it performs (1) operation perfectly.
FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_DICE.bin
(must RENAME the binary file from FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_DICE.bin to FWA119P.bin )
remember if any Flash Update fails after 1-2mins, disconnect power, remove memory card, connect card to computer, delete current FWA119P.bin file, copy official v1.31 firmware FWA119P.bin back to card, then flash again.

Great to have your input and support, also very timely. With the help of another A119PRO owner found an error in flashing latest 24-MOD, now fixed. Could you flash update this newest MOD. Verify if it performs (1) operation perfectly.
FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_DICE.bin
(must RENAME the binary file from FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_DICE.bin to FWA119P.bin )
remember if any Flash Update fails after 1-2mins, disconnect power, remove memory card, connect card to computer, delete current FWA119P.bin file, copy official v1.31 firmware FWA119P.bin back to card, then flash again.

Sure I just finished offloading the videos for comparison, i'll grab the new file and give it a go. Anything specific I should test/look into or just run as normal for a few cycles?

Sure I just finished offloading the videos for comparison, i'll grab the new file and give it a go. Anything specific I should test/look into or just run as normal for a few cycles?
Main test is successful two partition flash completion, a few minutes of video capture on 1440P then 1080P, will confirm all is fixed.

Main test is successful two partition flash completion, a few minutes of video capture on 1440P then 1080P, will confirm all is fixed.
The "FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_DICE.bin" firmware failed to load on several attempts but the older one "FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbps_Sharp_DICE.bin" flashed fine. I'm going to test her for a bit and let you know when i have a few vids/info on the firmware that loaded.

The "FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_DICE.bin" firmware failed to load on several attempts but the older one "FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbps_Sharp_DICE.bin" flashed fine. I'm going to test her for a bit and let you know when i have a few vids/info on the firmware that loaded.
DOH! it was the a 4 byte code
try this one, 100% +- 99.9% Perfect ! ( MOD'ing is joy.. )
FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_blueDICE.bin
DOWNLOAD A119PRO Modified Firmware https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-pro-mod-file.html

Last edited:
So your recommended optimal firmware from your modding, for 1440p is which file out of those three? FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbp_Sharp_Dice?

So your recommended optimal firmware from your modding, for 1440p is which file out of those three? FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbp_Sharp_Dice?
The A119PRO with resolution 1440P is already at 24Mbps, the video image is very good, no need to increase bit rate unless you want to verify higher is noticeable or not. If you prefer to set A119PRO to use 1080P then experimentation would be best. Need someone to load 1080P @18Mbps to see if video records. Must RENAME all MOD files to match dashcam model = FWA119P.bin
If update fails just remove memory card, delete current FW file and copy official FW to card then Update again.
Always a good idea to avoid increased processor/chipset load to reduce heat and extend devices lifespan.
Try the Default-Mbps+Sharp20 MOD.

A119P BC MOD FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_blueDICE.bin (resize).jpgA119P Official V1.30 (resize).jpg

Image at top with date/time is from the mod "FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_blueDICE.bin" image on bottom is official viofo firmware V1.30.
Keep in mind difference in lighting, weather and lane/angle of cam ect. Also had to drop pics down to 2mp for site and official firmware pic was cropped a bit for tag info.
Everything looks solid from my short testing with the mod firmware can link videos in dropbox later if needed. 1440p30 ran great might even be tempting to lower the sharpness a bit more. 1080p60 ran without a hitch as well.
I'll test a few functions when I get a chance, thanks for the work again @BCHobbyist!

View attachment 40640View attachment 40641

Image at top with date/time is from the mod "FWA119P_v1.31_24Mbps_Sharp20_blueDICE.bin" image on bottom is official viofo firmware V1.30.
Keep in mind difference in lighting, weather and lane/angle of cam ect. Also had to drop pics down to 2mp for site and official firmware pic was cropped a bit for tag info.
Everything looks solid from my short testing with the mod firmware can link videos in dropbox later if needed. 1440p30 ran great might even be tempting to lower the sharpness a bit more. 1080p60 ran without a hitch as well.
I'll test a few functions when I get a chance, thanks for the work again @BCHobbyist!
interesting comparison, thanks for the effort, the Sharpness difference is noticeable, the MOD code difference was 50% less, will release 40% and 60%.
verify 1080P @30fps works normally, it may crash.

More A119PRO Modified Firmware uploaded all with default bit rates, but different Sharpness levels to compare.
FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp27_blueDICE.bin
FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp32_blueDICE.bin (previously known as Sharp20, now values 1-100)
FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp37_blueDICE.bin
(must RENAME the binary file from FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbps_Sharp32_DICE.bin to FWA119P.bin )

Seeking A119PRO owners to install and verify functionality,
  1. Flash Update proceeds normally (slow blinks, fast blinks, pause, slow blinks, fast blinks, restarts)
  2. blue DICE Logo appears.
  3. Menu Firmware Version has changed.
  4. recorded test clips for 1440p@30, 1289p@30, 1080p@60, 1080p@30 should all be saved as original Mbps.
  5. Sharpness (1-100) has been modified from official 64 down to 37 / 32 / 27 to reduce halo over-sharpening effect.

DOWNLOAD BCHobbyist A119PRO Modified Firmware : https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-pro-mod-file.html

A119PRO is almost unbrickable if you don't flash the BootLoader.
If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, delete current FW file from memory card then copy official A119PRO firmware file to SD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

Last edited:
More A119PRO Modified Firmware uploaded all with default bit rates, but different Sharpness levels to compare.
FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp27_blueDICE.bin
FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp32_blueDICE.bin (previously known as Sharp20, now values 1-100)
FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp37_blueDICE.bin
(must RENAME the binary file from FWA119P_v1.31_27Mbps_Sharp32_DICE.bin to FWA119P.bin )

Seeking A119PRO owners to install and verify functionality,
1) Flash Update proceeds normally (slow blinks, fast blinks, pause, slow blinks, fast blinks, restarts)
2) blue DICE Logo appears.
3) Menu Firmware Version has changed.
4) recorded test clips for 1440p@30, 1289p@30, 1080p@60, 1080p@30 should all be saved as original Mbps.
5) Sharpness (1-100) has been modified from official 64 down to 37 / 32 / 27 to reduce halo over-sharpening effect.

DOWNLOAD BCHobbyist A119PRO Modified Firmware : https://drive.google.com/open?id=13l_iCWCDkfbS895arQXlRJZNu64sCtS1

A119PRO is almost unbrickable if you don't flash the BootLoader.
If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, delete current FW file from memory card then copy official A119PRO firmware file to SD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.
A119P MOD VIDS
Use link above for dropbox folder with all res clips from same road loop and lighting/time of day shot on 8/9/2018. Clips are from "FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp16_blueDICE.bin" firmware as I wanted to try the lowest sharpness mod.
I'll keep them online for a few weeks then make an edit when taken down and available as DM requests after that.
The previous mod did glitch out/crash on 1080p30 as you suspected @BCHobbyist but everything seems working now. If another A119P owner wants to test parking mode and such would be great.
- Mr. A

A119P MOD VIDS
Use link above for dropbox folder with all res clips from same road loop and lighting/time of day shot on 8/9/2018. Clips are from "FWA119P_v1.31_defaultMbps-Sharp16_blueDICE.bin" firmware as I wanted to try the lowest sharpness mod.
I'll keep them online for a few weeks then make an edit when taken down and available as DM requests after that.
The previous mod did glitch out/crash on 1080p30 as you suspected @BCHobbyist but everything seems working now. If another A119P owner wants to test parking mode and such would be great.
- Mr. A
Thanks for taking the time and posting the RAW footage. Now we can compare the baseline of Sharpness to all others. The A119PRO has capped 1080@30fps at 20Mbps (thanks to Robert for testing).

Just testing out the FWA119P_v2.61_27Mbps_Sharp32_DICE.bin . Working fine so far thanks. Showing at over 28Mbs on some files, it would think this chipset can handle that without too much heat. Have you any plans just to have a firmware option with the default settings, but with the slightly higher bit rate. Thanks for your time.

Have you any plans just to have a firmware option with the default settings, but with the slightly higher bit rate. Thanks for your time.
The bitrate is limited in the firmware of the manufacturer, it is variable, for example, in the MOD at 28 MB / s can grow up to 51 Mbps on complex scenes.

The bitrate is limited in the firmware of the manufacturer, it is variable, for example, in the MOD at 28 MB / s can grow up to 51 Mbps on complex scenes.

Thanks for the info

Just testing out the FWA119P_v2.61_27Mbps_Sharp32_DICE.bin . Working fine so far thanks. Showing at over 28Mbs on some files, it would think this chipset can handle that without too much heat. Have you any plans just to have a firmware option with the default settings, but with the slightly higher bit rate. Thanks for your time.
Creating Custom MODs is becoming easier, pick your preferences, download it from my online Drive (link above). The DICE Logo was added to demonstrate images can be used, and separate MOD'ed from official. Select your Bit Rate = 25Mbps?

I'm working with @gse to verify our MODs are stable, but we don't own A119PRO so ask owners to report issues for correction. Our small group of MOD testers is growing, to cover all models, understanding the Flash Update and Recovery Procedure is required. Very soon more MODs will be available.

Creating Custom MODs is becoming easier, pick your preferences, download it from my online Drive (link above). The DICE Logo was added to demonstrate images can be used, and separate MOD'ed from official. Select your Bit Rate = 25Mbps?

I'm working with @gse to verify our MODs are stable, but we don't own A119PRO so ask owners to report issues for correction. Our small group of MOD testers is growing, to cover all models, understanding the Flash Update and Recovery Procedure is required. Very soon more MODs will be available.

Thanks for your work on this BCHobbyist.

Thanks for your work on this BCHobbyist.
BCHobbyist will build your Custom A119PRO, A119, A119S, A129 Firmware MOD
select Bit Rate = default or 27 - 15
select Sharpness = default or 48, 37, 32, 27, 16
select Edge Detection = default(128) or 28, 68, 128, 228
select Firmware Menu Date & Version = default or for fun
select Sound Quality = default or 44.1kHz CD quality
select Logo = default or 320x240 text or graphic JPG

Last edited:
Back