VIOFO A119 V3

The real V3 is really as good as those "fake" reviews say. I know there is no reason or need for Viofo to "buy" their reviews

Yeah i have not had a product of theirs, but it do feel like viofo can hold their head high.

Yeah i have not had a product of theirs, but it do feel like viofo can hold their head high.
My first dashcam was an A118C. It was great and I regret selling it when I traded vehicles.

I ordered an A119 V3 and was hoping to have it for the long weekend here, but Amazon.ca seems to have messed up my order.

My first dashcam was an A118C. It was great and I regret selling it when I traded vehicles.

I ordered an A119 V3 and was hoping to have it for the long weekend here, but Amazon.ca seems to have messed up my order.

Amazon is a love/hate relationship at times. Hopefully they are making things right for you.
Open a live chat with an Amazon fulfillment support agent
This is the .com link but there should be a similar .ca one. @OCD Tronic Canada would know.

I am sure you will think it is worth the wait, but a disappointing Amazon screwed up.

Hi guys,
I may have just not known where to find (I swear I looked around!), but how can I access the hidden features? Like the h.265?
Or is this just for a select fewt testers?
Thank you!

I've had 3 previous dashcams before the Viofo V2. Viofo can indeed hold their head up as the footage is easily as good or better than my previous dashcams.

Where Viofo score in my book is the design where the camera body is held firmly and only the lens alters for alignment. 2 of my previous dashcams were on a stalk that produced video vibration and the third, whilst a solid mount, was limited to 1080@30 with no CPL.

Hi guys,
I may have just not known where to find (I swear I looked around!), but how can I access the hidden features? Like the h.265?
Or is this just for a select fewt testers?
Thank you!
hidden H.265 HEVC codec is accessed by stopping Recording, then long press MIC button for 4 seconds, then enter the MENU, select the Resolution settings, they are all now H.265. I suggest only using 1440p since the 2160p is interpolated. To disabled H.265 compression repeat the MIC long press sequence.

hidden H.265 HEVC codec is accessed by stopping Recording, then long press MIC button for 4 seconds, then enter the MENU, select the Resolution settings, they are all now H.265. I suggest only using 1440p since the 2160p is interpolated. To disabled H.265 compression repeat the MIC long press sequence.

BChobbyist, what do you prefer? h265 or h264?

It seems that h265 is the better of the two based on your video comment. Seems like H265 should be the default mode

"The A119 V3 Firmware v1.00 contains hidden High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) H.265 compression codec. The difference between H.264 and H.265 is the reduced video file size and increased detail using HEVC codec. Depending on the lighting and scene composition H.264 uses 16x16 macro blocks to compress areas with no details such as sky or road but H.265 uses 64x64 variable blocks to further compress low detail areas. Along with other improvements H.265 also provides bitrate reduction as much as 50% compared to H.264 while maintaining the same image quality with slightly increased detail and brightness."

If you watch recording on TV with codec 265, not all TVs support this codec.
264 everything.

Not all PCs either

Download and try the samples attached here

BCHobbyist will probably respond later but I have not seen much IQ difference between the 2 in FW1.0. The main advantage is the H265 produce smaller files. On the public release of FW1.02 or better you will notice a better IQ due to increased bitrate. When it has been OK'd I will release a YouTube sample but not until it is released from beta.

Last edited:
BChobbyist, what do you prefer? h265 or h264?

It seems that h265 is the better of the two based on your video comment. Seems like H265 should be the default mode

"The A119 V3 Firmware v1.00 contains hidden High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) H.265 compression codec. The difference between H.264 and H.265 is the reduced video file size and increased detail using HEVC codec. Depending on the lighting and scene composition H.264 uses 16x16 macro blocks to compress areas with no details such as sky or road but H.265 uses 64x64 variable blocks to further compress low detail areas. Along with other improvements H.265 also provides bitrate reduction as much as 50% compared to H.264 while maintaining the same image quality with slightly increased detail and brightness."
HEVC H.265 compression requires more system resources to record within the A119 V3 creating extra heat and not recommended for HOT seasons. H.265 also requires more processing power to view than H.264 MP4 video, its also very difficult to preview while video editing or even viewable with most GPS / G-sensor MP4 viewers, as vvs49 mentioned most TVs don't support this higher video compression. H.265 does have a benefit for reducing large 4K video files as I mentioned above.
I prefer the more compatible MP4 video format with H.264 AVC codec even if file size is larger, its just easier to view, edit and share.
The HEVC H.265 compression feature will remain hidden from MENU even on new A129 Pro 4K model dashcam, think of it as a "Pro" feature for experienced owners.

Adobe Premiere Elements don't support H265 on windows. I'll stick with the common H264 format. Thanks

If people are using parking mode the added heat of H265 probably isn’t a good idea.

Most likely to be an unsupported allegation as video here is encoded by standalone hw codecs.

I haven’t measured myself yet just basing this off other similar products that have shown to over heat. There has to be a good reason to leave the feature hidden.

HEVC H.265 compression requires more system resources to record within the A119 V3 creating extra heat and not recommended for HOT seasons.

I ran H264 for 2 x 1.5hrs with no problems at all, using a higher bitrate than FW1.0 and it was completely stable with outside temps. at 34-36Degrees C. When used H265 in cooler temp. was very warm to the touch after 20-30mins.

Back