A129 Duo - Show rear camera preview on startup?

kitor

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi,
is there a way to keep rear camera preview on startup (keep it as default)?
No matter what I set up in menu, on each start it reverts to front + PIP rear.

I wanted to use it as backup camera - I have 4.5" external screen, front camera is hidden behind window. It works as expected, but switching preview every time is annoying.

Last edited:
I don't believe so. It will always default to picture in picture. Viofo has commented on this before. Something about the front and rear camera needing a "handshake" at each start up, which I guess means it needs to default to PIP. Not sure if firmware can change this behavior or if Novatek needs to update the SDK to allow for it.

I don't believe so. It will always default to picture in picture. Viofo has commented on this before. Something about the front and rear camera needing a "handshake" at each start up, which I guess means it needs to default to PIP. Not sure if firmware can change this behavior or if Novatek needs to update the SDK to allow for it.
it's part of the rear camera detection process, they could maybe get it to switch to the rear camera after that happened as a workaround, a lot of work for little return though

they could maybe get it to switch to the rear camera after that happened as a workaround, a lot of work for little return though
Well, since you can cycle between 4 modes:
  • PIP: Front + Rear overlay
  • PIP: Rear + Front overlay
  • Front
  • Rear
and camera starts in Front, then after detection switches to PIP Front + Rear overlay, unless there's some weird hack going on (don't know internal structures that represent this), it would be just as easy as replacing hardcoded ID with one selected in menu.

it doesn't start and then switch to PIP, the PIP is a part of the handshake process, it would would still have to do that and then have to change to a different display mode

And as I understand, that's part of vendor (Novatek) code? That's a shame :(
So perfect dual-cam still does not exist, at least for me (this + hdmi out instead of composite).

Back