A129 Pro Duo front cam broken

Nij

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my A129 Pro Duo in June 2021 when I ordered my new Toyota RAV4. I didn’t get it installed until October that same year because the car was delayed due to Covid/chip shortage.
All appeared fine until I noticed about a month ago that the front camera wasn’t turning on with the ignition (It’s hidden behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side). I took the camera off the GPS mount, out of the car and plugged it into my laptop via the mini-USB port on the side of the camera - it powered on. I removed the GPS mount from the car and plugged the mini-USB cable from my laptop into it then mounted the camera - no power.
I plugged the cable back into the camera side port and downloaded a couple of recordings that I wanted to keep before carrying out a firmware update and noticed that the last automatic recording was in January this year indicating that was when it failed.
I raised a ticket with Viofo who eventually sent a replacement GPS mount from China which took about a week to arrive. Plugged it all in and it didn’t rectify the problem. Viofo said the camera was faulty and they would send a new one but as it was out of warranty I would have to pay a $30 service fee and send the old one back first (at my own expense?) before they would ship a new one.
Yes, it is out of warranty (12 months) but it only actually worked for 13 months after I had it installed. This is absolute rubbish with regards to durability and in my view is not fit for purpose.
I am due to change my car again in a few months and was considering ’upgrading’ to the A139 but I’m not sure if I will stay with Viofo. I realise that technology does fail but it is the way that the manufacturer deals with the problem that separates the good from the bad.

Back