A129 not detecting rear camera?

mms1361

Reaction score
Country
United States
On FW 1.9, also latest viofo play store app.

I am not able to see the rear camera to set it up properly. I purchased this cam maybe two weeks ago and was dreading doing the rear cam because of the work tucking in the cable. I remember when I was still on v1.8 and went on the live video settings in the app I selected rear camera only or front with rear laid in PIP. When I went back in to view it live it would only show the front camera. I dismissed it as a buggy viofo app.

Well now I have the time and energy to install the rear cam. I connect it via the app and still doesn't display the rear camera. I updated both the app and the camera to latest versions and I still can't view the rear camera. I formatted the card and reset to factory settings, got nothing on live view. When I go to the settings via the physical camera menu the rear camera seems like it's not even being detected as it is not highlighted like the front cam. I have tried inverting the camera supply cable backwards n forwards and still get no feed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_072819.jpg
    IMG_20190719_072819.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 38
On FW 1.9, also latest viofo play store app.

I am not able to see the rear camera to set it up properly. I purchased this cam maybe two weeks ago and was dreading doing the rear cam because of the work tucking in the cable. I remember when I was still on v1.8 and went on the live video settings in the app I selected rear camera only or front with rear laid in PIP. When I went back in to view it live it would only show the front camera. I dismissed it as a buggy viofo app.

Well now I have the time and energy to install the rear cam. I connect it via the app and still doesn't display the rear camera. I updated both the app and the camera to latest versions and I still can't view the rear camera. I formatted the card and reset to factory settings, got nothing on live view. When I go to the settings via the physical camera menu the rear camera seems like it's not even being detected as it is not highlighted like the front cam. I have tried inverting the camera supply cable backwards n forwards and still get no feed.

You got the cables plugged in the wrong way.....L shape goes to main camera and straight cable goes to rear camera. Try doing that and rebooting main camera. If that doesn't work, you may have a faulty cable / rear camera.

You got the cables plugged in the wrong way.....L shape goes to main camera and straight cable goes to rear camera. Try doing that and rebooting main camera. If that doesn't work, you may have a faulty cable / rear camera.

I'm pretty sure I've tried putting them both ways. Im pretty sure I've also read about people here saying the cable is reversible because of complaints of the straight cable on rear camera obstructs a good mounting position.

I'm pretty sure I've tried putting them both ways. Im pretty sure I've also read about people here saying the cable is reversible because of complaints of the straight cable on rear camera obstructs a good mounting position.

Viofo Manual

Page 11 shows it going the opposite way......Try reversing and see if you get a signal.

If not, either cable or camera is bad....Give it a shot.

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_094421.jpg
    IMG_20190720_094421.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 22
@mms1361 Try enabling a 5 or 10 second boot delay and see if that helps detect the rear camera

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's the other way around.

How are you providing power to the camera? Cigarette light or hardwire kit?

As stated, try upping the boot delay.

Chances are, you have a faulty cable. And possibly unit. But try the above and respond back on power source.

Powering it with 3 wire hardwire kit set for highest voltage. Parking mode disabled. WiFi disabled.

Added 10 sec boot delay. Boot seems to last 5 secs not 10 when starting.

The camera turns ON with a quick press of the menu button with KEY OFF.

Last edited:
Powering it with 3 wire hardwire kit set for highest voltage. Parking mode disabled. WiFi disabled.

Added 10 sec boot delay. Boot seems to last 5 secs not 10 when starting.

The camera turns ON with a quick press of the menu button with KEY OFF.

So did setting a boot delay bring up the rear camera? Far as turning main camera on by pressing off key, that's typical. I have mine set for the screw to shut off after 3 minutes, and you have to press the "off key" to turn it back on. If that's what you meant.

Boot delay was set to 10 secs and did not bring up the rear camera. I have not tried 5 secs yet. My original setting was OFF.

As far as the camera on while engine off. Yes it turns automatically when I turn the key off. But pressing the button to the left of rec flips the camera on even with key out.

Boot delay was set to 10 secs and did not bring up the rear camera. I have not tried 5 secs yet. My original setting was OFF.

As far as the camera on while engine off. Yes it turns automatically when I turn the key off. But pressing the button to the left of rec flips the camera on even with key out.

At this point, if the rear camera isn't working on the main unit, I suspect you have a faulty cable from the main unit to the rear camera. You can either contact support and ask they mail you another cable, or RMA entire A129 Duo for a whole new unit in order to eliminate the possibility of a hardware failure (rear camera unit).

It likely either a faulty rear camera or rear camera cable. If you wiggle the cable at either plug, does it do anything? Try lifting up and/or down gently on the cable at the connection.

It likely either a faulty rear camera or rear camera cable. If you wiggle the cable at either plug, does it do anything? Try lifting up and/or down gently on the cable at the connection.
I have not. I didn't want to try this as I didnt want this wiggle action to hinder possible future performance. I'll wiggle it a little when I get home but so far my opened ticket has asked me to send them a picture of the ports on both cameras.

Tried wiggling both ends of the cable while monitoring the live video selection screen, nothing happened. Tried exerting some light pressure to establish a more "secure" connection to both camera bodies, nothing happened. Viofo asked me to send them pictures of the camera ports but i inadvertently locked myself out from viofo forums so i have to wait yet another day plus 2 or 3 more for a response from viofo. Ill post the pics here for now. Doesnt seem like anything is physically wrong with either the cable or camera ports.

Hopefully they respond faster now that they read my ticket because i only have a 30 day return window and 15 of those days have gone by.

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_184238.jpg
    IMG_20190722_184238.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190722_184216.jpg
    IMG_20190722_184216.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20190722_184152.jpg
    IMG_20190722_184152.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190722_183917.jpg
    IMG_20190722_183917.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 15
Tried wiggling both ends of the cable while monitoring the live video selection screen, nothing happened. Tried exerting some light pressure to establish a more "secure" connection to both camera bodies, nothing happened. Viofo asked me to send them pictures of the camera ports but i inadvertently locked myself out from viofo forums so i have to wait yet another day plus 2 or 3 more for a response from viofo. Ill post the pics here for now. Doesnt seem like anything is physically wrong with either the cable or camera ports.

Hopefully they respond faster now that they read my ticket because i only have a 30 day return window and 15 of those days have gone by.

Viofo support is very responsive. As I originally stated, and others have concurred, either cable is bad or rear camera. All depends if you want to troubleshoot and have them mail you a new cord. Or have a brand new unit sent out to eliminate the need for figuring it out if the cable or rear camera is bad.

If moving the cables around doesn’t seem to do anything, I would lean towards there being an issue with the rear camel itself.

Thing is im pretty sure im going to have to mail it back with the gps mount to the amazon seller and in order to take off the gps mount i will have to ruin my window tint as i attached it on top. I'll see what happens, should've tested before mounting.

Thing is im pretty sure im going to have to mail it back with the gps mount to the amazon seller and in order to take off the gps mount i will have to ruin my window tint as i attached it on top. I'll see what happens, should've tested before mounting.
Use a dental floss to detach the VHB tape. You can save the tint.

Last edited:

Dental Floss or Fishing Line. I had same concern. I had mine my cameras mounted on Arkon Suction cups. But I realized when I had my accident, that doing so on the rear glass didn't give me the most optical picture due to the grid lines. So mounted it onto the tint.

To remove, it'll be bit tedious, but take fishing line or dental floss and slowly saw off the 3M adhesive pad. Don't pull at it.

Last edited:
Back