SG9663DR update

My left leg still burn like a #2 degree burn, i am fearing i might have to go to the hospital and get some "juice" directly in my veins.
Got kitted out with 10 more days of penicillin on Friday, and when thats eaten my own doctor are back from holiday.

To take over a year to produce the remote lens version with the same lens, sensor and CPU as the existing SG9663DC [when competitors have moved onto QHD resolutions & various other technologies etc] - something is not right....

I dont its as simple as take board from DC pro, and put the #2 camera on a wire too, and then shove it into a case.
The remote camera housings are also getting redesigned ( smaller ) ASO.

While the base hardware ( SOC and sensors / lenses ) might be the same, everything else are pretty much new i recon, so new "motherboard" - new main unit housing - new LCD screen ( i think ) - new camera housings and so also new camera base board - new wires - more plugs / TX/RX chipsets and assorted things to accommodate + whatever popped up during R&D.
I really hope SG have been thinking hard, and flipping ideas over to look at any perspective, as i think this will make for a more future proof design.

I dont its as simple as take board from DC pro, and put the #2 camera on a wire too, and then shove it into a case.
The remote camera housings are also getting redesigned ( smaller ) ASO.

While the base hardware ( SOC and sensors / lenses ) might be the same, everything else are pretty much new i recon, so new "motherboard" - new main unit housing - new LCD screen ( i think ) - new camera housings and so also new camera base board - new wires - more plugs / TX/RX chipsets and assorted things to accommodate + whatever popped up during R&D.
I really hope SG have been thinking hard, and flipping ideas over to look at any perspective, as i think this will make for a more future proof design.
I work in the hardware industry (think 'phone'), and I'm familiar with scale and timelines. I also work with image sensors all the time, building hardware in CAD and PCBs a bit, etc. Either not enough people are working on it or people who don't know what they are doing are designing things so that they don't work properly. Half the time would have gone to design and the other half to validation such as analog/digital and IQ (image quality, module/lens testing is a long process, of course it all depends on how well SG defines their ERS, engineering requirement specifications). Since from what I understand from a few years ago SG was using the fab houses to design their dashcams based on their specifications, I can only assume that the fab house isn't providing adequate resources or SG cannot afford to pay for sufficient resources to bring the product to market earlier.

I don't know what it is, but something is not right.

Having said that, I do feel for Jokiin though.
He is under enormous industry pressure to get projects completed.
Easier said than done.

Last edited:
Well so far i cant say many have beaten SG to the line, sure i have the K2S in hand / car, but regarding that camera it have gone awful quiet, and i dont think it are selling yet.
I think SG are just doing it what way they feel are right, and take the time it take for that to come true, i cant say they ever been in the game of getting there first, or for that matter had the resources to pull that off.

I am also still chomping at the bit in regard to the DR, but i just have to try and chillax as there are nothing i / we can do, maybe outside of a massive money surge into SG, and i am not able to take part of such a thing in my current situation.

not sure we can ever get things 100% right before release on any product, there's always something you don't find until after, what we don't do though is release something when we know there's an issue, if we identify a problem then we need to fix it before we can release a product

Well it seems pretty clear to me that you just need to stop finding problems, then. Duh! :p

Are we still looking at a possible 2019 release or are we definitely into 2020 at this point?
I wouldn't like to speculate at this point, we have sorted a cable issue and just retooling something at the moment, some of what we're doing carries over into other models so it's important we get it right

I wouldn't like to speculate at this point, we have sorted a cable issue and just retooling something at the moment, some of what we're doing carries over into other models so it's important we get it right

Thanks for the information!

Would the central screen be able to show both camera streams at the same time, either as split-screen or picture-in-picture? This seems important to verify that both cameras are still recording. I don't think it would be practical for me to routinely pull out the sd card to check its contents.

And would the system be able to only power one camera when in parking mode? This would be useful when you're more concerned about break-ins than external damage, assuming the central unit is well hidden or protected.

This feature probably makes more sense for a three-camera product (front/back/interior).

And would the system be able to only power one camera when in parking mode? This would be useful when you're more concerned about break-ins than external damage, assuming the central unit is well hidden or protected.

This feature probably makes more sense for a three-camera product (front/back/interior).
What do you think you'll see inside the car? A head facing down with a hoodie, shaded by the car's roof and pillars from outside lights, ie no face visible at all. Dumb idea.
Parking should record on all cameras.

If my dashcam did what you suggested, I wouldn't have been able to record this:
suspect.png

Would the central screen be able to show both camera streams at the same time, either as split-screen or picture-in-picture? This seems important to verify that both cameras are still recording. I don't think it would be practical for me to routinely pull out the sd card to check its contents.

Yes, it would surely have some version of this. It may be simply the ability to switch full screen views between front and back cameras.

...I don't think it would be practical for me to routinely pull out the sd card to check its contents.
It may not be 'practical' but it's necessary. There have been many instances of card failure with no indication from or on the camera. The only way to absolutely insure that video is actually written to the card is to check the card. You don't want to wait until you need the video to find out it's not there.

It may not be 'practical' but it's necessary. There have been many instances of card failure with no indication from or on the camera. The only way to absolutely insure that video is actually written to the card is to check the card. You don't want to wait until you need the video to find out it's not there.
This happened to me when I saw a lifted pickup with one of those huge plate steel front bumpers completely demolish the side of a parked car while pulling into the space next to them. I hit save, and the camera made the normal beeps (viofo a119) but when I got home and tried to review footage, that one file was corrupted. Files that were recorded before and after that one were fine, but they didn't capture his plate due to how crowded the parking lot was. I couldn't see his plate myself either, without drawing attention to myself - I ended up parking diagonal from him and sat in the car with the kids while my wife went into the store to get something real quick... And the truck driver was also sitting in his truck, probably waiting for me to leave. I wasn't able to recover the file no matter what I tried, and even though the card passed tests with h2testw, I threw it away anyway. Don't want to risk it, especially with how inexpensive SD cards are today.

Another thing to think about - if you get in a wreck and your car has to be towed, you need to be able to take out your SD card pretty easily so you can keep the evidence with you.

Personally I would mount a unit like this either in the center console under the armrest or in the glovebox. That way it's completely hidden (and out of direct sunlight!) but still super easy to get to.

This happened to me when I saw a lifted pickup with one of those huge plate steel front bumpers completely demolish the side of a parked car while pulling into the space next to them. I hit save, and the camera made the normal beeps (viofo a119) but when I got home and tried to review footage, that one file was corrupted. Files that were recorded before and after that one were fine, but they didn't capture his plate due to how crowded the parking lot was. I couldn't see his plate myself either, without drawing attention to myself - I ended up parking diagonal from him and sat in the car with the kids while my wife went into the store to get something real quick... And the truck driver was also sitting in his truck, probably waiting for me to leave. I wasn't able to recover the file no matter what I tried, and even though the card passed tests with h2testw, I threw it away anyway. Don't want to risk it.

For several years now I've been running both a standard front facing dash cam along with a telephoto dash cam. Usually the telephoto works in concert with my normal dash cam as an "enhanced" auxiliary cam but on occasion one camera really captures what happens when the other one doesn't quite do the job. It's as if to some extent each camera works as a redundant back-up for the other. Since installing the telephoto, I've become rather addicted to having two cameras working together and such a set-up might have helped your situation.

Back