COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been used here for a while, doctors cant say there are much gained by that blood plasma treatment.
To me it more look like a scramble to try something / grabbing at straws treatment.
It is worth trying these things, occasionally you will find one that works, but the expectation should be that most won't work even if you think they will, and you must obtain real proof of success. The UK Dexamethasone trial was actually expected to fail by those that proposed it, but it was tried anyway, many scientific discoveries are found by doing things expected to fail, you never know the result until you have done the scientific trial and have the proof!

From what I gather, drugs and plasma treatments have been found to only reduce the severity of some cases at best. That is very hard to quantify since you really cannot tell how severe any one case would be without intervention versus with treatment once the treatments have begun. As long as thyere are no safety or long-term health issues found, I can't see any harm in trying them.

Vaccine testing has been going on here for over a month (or something close to that), and there are at least 2-3 vaccines being tested. Nobody is reporting results because they haven't finished yet; the best that has been said is that no unexpected results or anomalies have been found so far. Given the scale of what's going on, every pharmaceutical company here knows that if it's vaccine fails these trials, it will likely set them back fiscally at least 5 years. They're taking no chances with that- the tests must be done properly and they will be no matter what Trump says.

As for Trump, he's finally figuring out that he's soon going to be facing the results of his actions and choices at the polls without the unqualified support of his political party, and that it will take a miracle for him to win there. He's grasping at straws in desperation now. He knows that he can't order the vaccine makers to release their wares early; they are private companies which he has no control over. More to the point, the rich people who Trump needs in his pocket politically are all heavily invested in "Big Pharma" so he can't use any of his usual shady tactics against them without losing the political support he needs. He's not only hanging himself, he's taking his political party along with him, and those folks are now beginning to see this, but it's too late for that course to be changed too.

Well, the US has had a 244 year run at it, which is about as long as any other great empire has lasted before. To quote one of my favorite obscure bands "Haven't I read all of this in a book? Well it seems the Romans were hung on the same hook. We might lose a little bit in the translation, but I think it's basically the same equation." ;)

Phil

Everything's going to be just ducky in the Untied Kingdom. :eek:
Does look that way, as long as you don't look at the disaster planning which obviously looks for the worst possible outcome, and then plans for something even worse!

As I suggested earlier, most of the new cases are now false positives, the professor also says there are quite a few "residual infections", which are thought not to be infectious.

Writing in a recent blog, Professor Clancy said: "91 per cent of England (that’s 51million people) live in neighbourhoods where there hasn’t been a recorded Covid-19 case in the last 4 weeks."

He added: "So-called ‘spikes’ are occurring here, there, and everywhere up and down the country because new testing regimes are causing them either with false positives, picking up residual infections or (usually more likely) suddenly increased testing in specific areas.

“‘Just in case’ lockdowns are simply not an acceptable response to dodgy data. And lockdowns cause deaths.”

And reopening schools tends to find extra cases that wouldn't otherwise have been spotted, but doesn't cause outbreaks:

Just 0.01 per cent of preschools and primary schools in England suffered a coronavirus outbreak and no kids needed hospital treatment, a study has revealed.

A report by Public Health England (PHE) has revealed the reopening of schools after lockdown was eased was associated with 198 confirmed coronavirus cases – 70 in children and 128 in staff.

The PHE report found outbreaks in schools were usually small in size and more than half involved just one secondary case with PHE saying all were “successfully contained”.

Does look that way, as long as you don't look at the disaster planning which obviously looks for the worst possible outcome, and then plans for something even worse! As I suggested earlier, most of the new cases are now false positives, the professor also says there are quite a few "residual infections", which are thought not to be infectious. And reopening schools tends to find extra cases that wouldn't otherwise have been spotted, but doesn't cause outbreaks:
Does look that way, as long as you don't look at the disaster planning which obviously looks for the worst possible outcome, and then plans for something even worse!

As I suggested earlier, most of the new cases are now false positives, the professor also says there are quite a few "residual infections", which are thought not to be infectious.

And reopening schools tends to find extra cases that wouldn't otherwise have been spotted, but doesn't cause outbreaks:

Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It's quite bizarre to witness the machinations you put yourself through to convince yourself and everyone else here on DCT that the Untied Kingdom is a glorious shining city on the hill on virtually every account despite the evidence to the contrary. It's basically the same party line we hear from your far-right Conservative politicians for whom you seem to have such an affinity.

Clearly Dr Fauci doesn't want any vaccine released until after his own Moderna vaccine has completed trials, whereas Trump wants whichever is available first!

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Monday warned against the notion of early emergency use authorization for a potential coronavirus vaccine, explaining that such a step could damage efforts to develop other vaccines.

Presumably Fauci doesn't want to wait for all 160 potential vaccines to be ready before choosing the best?

Trump wants to be able to tell people that he brought them a vaccine quickly saving their lives. He doesn't care if it works or anything else- he only wants something to make a dishonest claim seem valid to his tunnel-visioned followers so they will go out and help spread his lies and gather him votes :( Same as he's claiming that he saved millions of lives with his leadership in handling this pandemic, it's all BS because that's all he's got to offer as that's all he's made of.

You can't give what you ain't got ;) He's dealing from an empty poker hand hoping he can bluff his way through to a win. It worked for him once before but it;s not going to happen again; he's been called and caught so much to this point that even those who once backed him are backing away instead. Like we say here in the US South, we can forgive but we never forget, and come November we're going to be remembering a lot :cautious:

Phil

One of Australia's most senior religious leaders wants people to boycott the COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Oxford University because scientists have used cell lines from a long ago electively aborted fetus.
The hypocrisy and irony just astonishes me! The idea that one should avoid getting a vaccine during a pandemic because as a religious leader, Anglican Archbishop of Sydney, Glenn Davies calls himself virtuous and "pro-life" and disapproves? This particular line of cells has been in use for decades in the manufacture of other vaccines for diseases like rubella and measles. That long ago aborted fetus is a hero, having already been responsible for saving hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of lives and potentrially many more millions to come if the COVID vaccine proves effective long term yet according to this religious leader, many millions of people should be condemned to debilitating disease and death because the creation of this new vaccine allegedly didn't adhere to "the highest ethical standards" because some woman once elected to have an abortion. Pro-life, indeed! :eek: :rage:

Last edited:
Same as he's claiming that he saved millions of lives with his leadership in handling this pandemic,
As far as I can see, his claim of saving millions is based on his ban on travel from China, but that ban resulted in tens of thousands of USA citizens returning "home" to the USA from the far east, many bringing the covid with them and thus spreading the virus throughout the USA, not just the cities that chinese people visit. Those same people then found themselves in the middle of the worlds worst outbreak and some of them have died, when if they had stayed back in their normal homes in China they would have been safe since there has been almost no virus there!

USA cases 6 million, China cases 0.084 million
USA deaths 182 thousand, China deaths 4.6 thousand

The virus was already in the USA anyway:
Still a question over which direction the virus went, did the USA take it to China, or bring it back from China, research on the origins seems to have gone quiet but there is no reason to think that it actually started in Wuhan, the military world games was clearly a super spreading event that could easily have been its arrival in Wuhan.

Thousand of Chinese traveled to the US after the so called coronavirus travel ban.
Didn't matter anyway, as Dr Fauci joked, "We have the world's worst outbreak, people arriving from other countries can only reduce our infection rate!", IIRC.

Didn't matter anyway, as Dr Fauci joked, "We have the world's worst outbreak, people arriving from other countries can only reduce our infection rate!", IIRC.

And Trump is on TV boasting, "We did a great job!"

In the meantime, there is talk Boris Johnson plans to step down from office due to lingering effects of his bout with COVID, but he denies it. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Boris Johnson
Looks like he is still working hard in today's photoshoot to me:

32369104-8661609-image-a-2_1598370664311.jpg

Is he sitting down because he's too fatigued to stand?
Only because they didn't trust him with the welding machine and the photographer wanted the colours in the background.
He much prefers an action shot such as:

NINTCHDBPICT000519402555.jpg

Only because they didn't trust him with the welding machine and the photographer wanted the colours in the background.
He much prefers an action shot such as:

NINTCHDBPICT000519402555.jpg

And when exactly was that photo taken? He lost a lot of weight during his illness but he looks pretty tubby there.;) More propaganda if you ask me. Enough with this crap.

Well FWIW, at least Boris did catch Covid-19 so he knows something of what it's all about. And he never denied it's serious nature. Over here we got someone who said "It's just a flu" which would magically disappear at an already-passed date, which of course it hasn't.

And now we have 3 fully-documented re-infections in various parts of the world, raising questions of how much and how long post-infection immunity gives- also bringing questions about mutations and whether round #2 has begun.

The more we know about this, the more it becomes clear that this disease is weirder than anyone ever expected in many ways. It's been just sheer luck that it didn't target the demographics who were worst affected by the 1918 Spanish Flu. Had it done as that virus did I think the whole world would be in chaos right now.

I had something of a scare last night. Somewhere around 2AM I woke up feeling hot and I was sweating. I sat on the edge of bed and wiped my dripping brow- which was ice cold :eek: Sure didn't do my insomnia any good- I wasn't going back the sleep at that point :mad: In a few minutes everything was back to normal, and it remains so after a day's work. Don't know what it was about but it still worries me a bit given how weird this damn disease is. Death doesn't bother me but I'd really rather not go out with Covid-19; let's have a jet engine fall on my head or something similar which would be much closer to how my life has gone up to this point :ROFLMAO:

Phil

BORIS-JUNK-FOOD-ad-ban-copy.jpg

He lost a lot of weight during his illness
I think most of his weight loss is since he listened to the doctors saying that obesity contributes to covid deaths and decided to put the whole nation on a covid-diet to save lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back