Mobius Maxi 4K - Varifocal Zoom 3.6-11mm

Looking at the sky in the wide view, you will notice that this lens has a red-tinted vignette. It its also apparent, to a lesser extent, at the telephoto end.

Looking at the sky in the wide view, you will notice that this lens has a red-tinted vignette. It its also apparent, to a lesser extent, at the telephoto end.

I suppose if we were to get technical about things it would probably be more of a magenta tint, which would make sense since magenta is a secondary RGB color.

The tint makes me wonder if Mobiuis will eventually add A-B-C lens settings to the GUI to compensate for the color balance characteristics of each different lens as they have always done for the Mobius 1?

No that is unfortunate.
I am thinking about picking one up for use in my action camera, but they are not on the Danish market yet.

The IQ is impressive in the 4K. Curious about motion blur though, which we have not seen good examples of as yet, but If the camera is stable and reliable, Mobius may finally have something to write home about!

@TonyM, how about some footage of approaching traffic under various conditions? :pics: :snaphappy:
Maxi 4K : Wide-Angle and Varifocal Zoom : Two-way road with oncoming traffic
Quality Medium (50Mbps), Multi-spot metering, AWB, EV+0

video deleted

Full-frame screenshots attached to judge detail, motion blur etc. Usually each camera+lens combination has its own 'sweet spot' where the detail of oncoming cars is at its best.
- Too far away: you can't resolve the detail.
- Too close: there is blur from relative motion across the frame. In addition the wide angle lens is looking through the curved windscreen at a shallow angle.

In this particular case, with cars each way travelling at around 50-60mph, I found the sweet spot was at approximately the same point for both cameras. So the screenshots represent the best of both camera's video captures.

2021-09-26_1.jpg 2021-09-26_2.jpg 2021-09-26_3.jpg 2021-09-26_4.jpg 2021-09-26_5.jpg 2021-09-26_6.jpg

Last edited:
Maxi 4K : Wide-Angle and Varifocal Zoom : Two-way road with oncoming traffic
Quality Medium (50Mbps), Multi-spot metering, AWB, EV+0

Full-frame screenshots attached to judge detail, motion blur etc. Usually each camera+lens combination has its own 'sweet spot' where the detail of oncoming cars is at its best.
- Too far away: you can't resolve the detail.
- Too close: there is blur from relative motion across the frame. In addition the wide angle lens is looking through the curved windscreen at a shallow angle.

In this particular case, with cars each way travelling at around 50-60mph, I found the sweet spot was at approximately the same point for both cameras. So the screenshots represent the best of both camera's video captures.

View attachment 58448 View attachment 58449 View attachment 58450 View attachment 58451 View attachment 58452 View attachment 58453

These look excellent but you picked a perfect bright sunny day for testing so the chances of good plate capture are certainly enhanced. Still, the camera seems to perform nicely.

Plate capture motion blur is more challenging for us Americans and Canadians so that will be the ultimate test.

These look excellent but you picked a perfect bright sunny day for testing so the chances of good plate capture are certainly enhanced.
Cloudy test to come! It's raining today so I can't really test anything properly.

Plate capture motion blur is more challenging for us Americans and Canadians so that will be the ultimate test.
Yes, we are lucky to have big numbers & letters on our UK plates.

I have noticed the F2.8 lens is not great for motion blur. I expect the F1.5 variant will perform better.

Cloudy test to come! It's raining today so I can't really test anything properly.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing that.

I reviewed my original request to you for this a couple of weeks ago so apparently I was thinking of different lighting conditions from the get-go.

@TonyM, how about some footage of approaching traffic under various conditions? :pics::snaphappy:

I reviewed my original request to you for this a couple of weeks ago so apparently I was thinking of different lighting conditions from the get-go.

I work from home these days. I have to go out for a drive specifically to test any camera settings. Day. Night. Sunny. Cloudy. Can't do them all at once!

I work from home these days. I have to go out for a drive specifically to test any camera settings. Day. Night. Sunny. Cloudy. Can't do them all at once!

I know! And the next sunny day in the UK may not happen for months! :smuggrin:

Anyway, do what you can, when you can. :)

Maxi 4K & 3.6-11mm vs Mobius 1 & 6-22mm - Cloudy

Out of curiosity, I recorded some driving clips with the M4K and 3.6-11mm varifocal lens alongside a Mobius 1 with a 6-22mm varifocal lens. It was late afternoon with cloud cover, pushing both cameras near their limit on plate capture, even with our large UK lettering. In town I'm driving up to 30mph. Out of town the speed limit is 60mph.

The lenses are not identical. They both start at F1.6 aperture, but I think that the aperture reduces as the lens is zoomed in. The 3.6-11mm was close to its 11mm end, whereas the 6-22 was near the 6mm end.

Similar to most comparisons I have seen between 1080p and 4K cameras, the sweet spot for plate capture (or any other useful detail) is at a different range. The 4K camera tends to resolve details from further away. The 1080p camera does better at closer range, even though there is more relative movement across the sensor.

videos deleted

Varifocal Test 1.jpg Varifocal Test 2.jpg Varifocal Test 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for putting together a very good comparison . My Mobius 1 is still looking good !

Thanks for putting together a very good comparison . My Mobius 1 is still looking good !
Yes, the M1 is still a good option, especially for a varifocal lens like this.

I presume that installing this lens the image is better than a C1 on Mobius 1 ? And the set up would be easier on the 4K maxi with wi fi to check focus ? The technical details & instructions i will Google .

I presume that installing this lens the image is better than a C1 on Mobius 1 ? And the set up would be easier on the 4K maxi with wi fi to check focus ? The technical details & instructions i will Google .
I have not really looked at the wide angle end of the range on this varifocal. I think the C1 or C2 lens on a Mobius 1 would be a bit wider, and also a bit more discreet than a varifocal lens. You can order the M4K with an F1.5 lens if you want to use it as a regular wide-angle dashcam. Overall the M4K has higher resolution and wider dynamic range than the M1, whatever lens you use. The M1 has obviously been around for a long time and is known for good reliability. The M4K is unproven yet in hot summer climates such as where you are.

Yes, you can check focus over WiFi or with a direct cable connection to your phone, depending on which app you use. Both the M4K and M1 have decent webcam modes for checking focus if you are near a computer.

What technical details are you interested in?

Back