Park mode settings

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New circle for us to be going around in @Kremmen :D
Yeah that's right, I'm back in from fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally hardwiring the A119v3. Only took about 2 hours (providing you don't count the time spent asking questions before today):ROFLMAO:
Only down side is it had to be lower down the windscreen than I wanted due to the sun strip. It's still behind the rear view but it's now in the windscreen wiper sweep. I know this is technically a no-no but hey, if I have to remove it once a year then 3M adhesive isn't so expensive.

So yeah, the whole reason behind me hardwiring in the VIOFO, or certainly one of the main reasons - was parking mode.

It's all well & good having a flick through the available options, but I don't really know what's best.

During this time of year I pretty much drive only in daylight. Winter time is pretty much only in pitch black. I rarely drive in the dark during summer or in the light during winter just due to my work hours.

If there's anything else where the answer may be "depends" - then feel free to shoot with your questions, I'll answer & we can go from there.

If there's some kind of general universal agreement on settings then even better.

Can't help with parking mode as I never use it

No problem. I was wanting to get back to the thread before anyone replied actually & just say - any settings in general that I should be using, not just parking mode?

I've had the cam for a year or so now but haven't really properly used it yet. I just stuck it in the back window on default & that's how I used it until I finally got round to hardwiring it up front - which is what I bought it for.

I know you guys said to make sure there's no air bubble on the sticky. Not sure how you lot managed that. I pressed in from the middle & tried to push outwards. The middle got a fair old bubble. Typical.

That is normal and has never caused me an issue. It's never fallen off.

No problem. I was wanting to get back to the thread before anyone replied actually & just say - any settings in general that I should be using, not just parking mode?

Parking mode = Low bitrate recording.

Parking mode = Low bitrate recording.
Thanks. Yeah I kept searching on after my last post and came across people using the other options until I saw a post from Nigel saying low bitrate recording being the only option to guarantee a recording which is a fair point.

I suppose there'll be variables but how fast does a dash cam configured for parking mode this way drain battery?

I forget the various options on the VIOFO HW kit but basically I selected the second highest voltage cut off. Without going out to my car & checking, I think the setting is 12.2v. Whatever the second highest is anyway.

I don't want it at the 11.x setting as I recently had issue with the other car & a funky battery and I don't fancy having trouble starting my car.

I was unsure whether to select the 12.0v setting. My thought process was - it could cut off at 12.0v but then by the time I come to the car to use it, what may it be at then? At least if it cuts off at 12.2v and I come to the car, it may be 12.0v?

*** I should add, I know naff all about electronics so my thought process could be a million miles off the mark.

To paint a clearer picture, I would typically use my car 5 days a week, maybe 6. My typical journey will be 10 miles of 40-60mph roads. Stop at work & then the same for the journey back. I am currently off work so my typical journey will be 3 miles, 30mph max as I'm not really using it.
However
Since my wife has changed jobs, I will likely be alternating cars. I may use mine as little as say 2-4 days in the week. Not sure how frequent this will be yet but I'm just giving you an idea of useage. Basically the car isn't going to be sat there for 3 weeks unused but at the same time I'm not using it for 100 miles per day every day.

Which raises a point - what about if you know you're not going to use the car for a week, or two week say. You want it to record (because what if them annoying kids hoof a ball in to your car on your drive & break something) but what about draining the battery?

@Karagandinez @viofo or anyone else -

Why may the cam 'lose' files?

So I had an old SD card in the cam & I wanted to switch it out for my Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB card. Formatted it in my PC using guiformat, then formatted it in the cam.

I've just now pulled the cam to check it's recording ok and it mostly is, but it randomly missed out 1 file and I'd like to get to the bottom of it before it becomes a problem.

So if the files get named 000001 then the next one is 000002 and so on then since I put the card in the cam it's ran up to 000092 ... yet only 91 video files are on the card. Why? Because 000006 is missing. It jumps straight from 05 to 07.

To which some may say well 1 file missing over 92 files is not too bad, but in my view that's not too good either because guess which file it'll be where someone hits your car.

I record in .mp4 format but I read that TS format is less prone to corrupt files which I'm taking a wild guess as to why 06 is missing.

Your view on why one file is missing & do you also find random files missing when you record in parking mode?

cam.JPG

@Karagandinez @viofo or anyone else -

Why may the cam 'lose' files?

So I had an old SD card in the cam & I wanted to switch it out for my Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB card. Formatted it in my PC using guiformat, then formatted it in the cam.

I've just now pulled the cam to check it's recording ok and it mostly is, but it randomly missed out 1 file and I'd like to get to the bottom of it before it becomes a problem.

So if the files get named 000001 then the next one is 000002 and so on then since I put the card in the cam it's ran up to 000092 ... yet only 91 video files are on the card. Why? Because 000006 is missing. It jumps straight from 05 to 07.

To which some may say well 1 file missing over 92 files is not too bad, but in my view that's not too good either because guess which file it'll be where someone hits your car.

I record in .mp4 format but I read that TS format is less prone to corrupt files which I'm taking a wild guess as to why 06 is missing.

Your view on why one file is missing & do you also find random files missing when you record in parking mode?

View attachment 61235
Did you look in the RO folder?

Did you look in the RO folder?
I did actually.

What is it (the RO folder)? I deleted it before that screenshot actually. I thought it was like an emergency recording kind of folder. There were 2 video files in there. I'm not sure if the first one would be at the exact time 06 would've recorded but it was in & around there around 12pm as I looked before uploading that shot.
The second one was literally as I removed the card - which is what made me think it was like an emergency thing because instead of hitting the button to stop recording, I acidentally hit the triangle button which I think is like an emergency record feature? Which triggered the last file in the RO folder anyway.

If the missing 06 file is due to this RO folder then what does that mean? My sensitivity is too high or something?

It wont be because anyone has hit the car. It's raining all day so all the kids & their balls are inside, thankfully <---- comment that is likely to upset the parents among you lol.

What is it (the RO folder)? I deleted it before that screenshot actually. I thought it was like an emergency recording kind of folder. There were 2 video files in there. I'm not sure if the first one would be at the exact time 06 would've recorded but it was in & around there around 12pm as I looked before uploading that shot.
Yes, it's an emergency folder. You should have checked it, maybe the missing file was there.

I did actually.

The second one was literally as I removed the card - which is what made me think it was like an emergency thing because instead of hitting the button to stop recording, I acidentally hit the triangle button which I think is like an emergency record feature? Which triggered the last file in the RO folder anyway.

If the missing 06 file is due to this RO folder then what does that mean? My sensitivity is too high or something?

It wont be because anyone has hit the car. It's raining all day so all the kids & their balls are inside, thankfully <---- comment that is likely to upset the parents among you lol.
You should power down the camera before removing the card.

Yes, it's an emergency folder. You should have checked it, maybe the missing file was there.
I think I had that happen with the Nextbase 522GW that I had for a short while. It would randomly throw videos in different folders.

If this happens again I will need to pay more attention to what you suggested.

When I had a look, I don't THINK it was the missing file - in that I don't think it was 3mins long, all the others are. But I can't say for 100% certain so perhaps it was.

The question is though - IF it was the missing file, why was it put in an emergency folder when there was no impact to the car? I mean, it's raining yeah but I don't want a bit of rainfall being confused for machinegun fire on my car.

The question is though - IF it was the missing file, why was it put in an emergency folder when there was no impact to the car?
The car doesn't have to be damaged. Maybe someone kicked your car from behind?
Even if it is in front, you still won't know because this file is missing.

The car doesn't have to be damaged. Maybe someone kicked your car from behind?
Even if it is in front, you still won't know because this file is missing.
Unlikely. Behind my car is my house but still, I get your point.

I'll be back here when it happens again & I don't delete the RO folder.

Unlikely. Behind my car is my house but still, I get your point.

I'll be back here when it happens again & I don't delete the RO folder.
Try to reduce the sensitivity of the parking G-sensor.

@Karagandinez turns out the answer to this is both yes and no.

So I erased (formatted) the card and started fresh to run this experiment again. So the beginning should be 001 ... and it was.

00001 in fact. So I then trace along for the first missing file & it's 00009.
Sure there is a RO folder. I don't delete it. I take a look at the first entry .... 00057P.

The dates & times match up - the files in the RO folder are from the same day as the 'main' folder, but 00009 is missing completely, as is 00015, 00053 & 00054. Just completely missing.

But then in the main folder it runs 00056, 00059 & 00061. I take a look in the RO folder and files 57, 58 & 60 are in there - so basically some are completely missing, some are just 'moved' (to the RO folder).

Which brings me back to my opening question in this thread about completely missing files - as that is the moment the car will be hit, you can put money on it.

Main.JPG
RO.JPG

Just noticed a huge chunk of missing files in the main folder. 000093P at 10:11pm on Saturday was in the main folder. The next video file in the main folder is 000261P at 6:35am Sunday.

It appears that all the files in between those ones are in the RO folder. If it matters any (I'm thinking impact here) then it was raining. Not torrential rain but it was raining all the same.

EDIT: For yesterday I actually switched out the above card for a different one. Same thing - files being dumped in the RO folder.

Although weirdly as I choose files at random, one of them in the RO folder at 11:05pm last night when I can assure you I was in the house, the video file starts with 3 slow beeps about 1.5-2.0secs between each beep. The beeps then stop after 3 beeps. It doesn't do this any other time in that clip or the clip before or after.

It seems missing files from the main folder are in the RO folder. I don't see anything completely missing like in the case with the above 2 images.

So a few questions from this...

1) Why are those files at the start of this post COMPLETELY missing?
2) Parking mode G-sensitivity - I think I set mine to high. If this is the reason files are being thrown in the RO folder then it seems that 'high' sensitivity is basically the slightest change in wind direction which is ridiculous. What do you guys have yours set at?

@viofo - 1) why do you suspect the files 09, 15, 53 & 54 are completely missing - not in the main or RO folders? 2) What's the 3 beeps I referred to a few lines up? Why would it randomly beep 3 times?

Last edited:
the video file starts with 3 slow beeps about 1.5-2.0secs between each beep. The beeps then stop after 3 beeps.
Press the triangle button on the DVR during operation.
You may hear the same sounds.:unsure:

Press the triangle button on the DVR during operation.
You may hear the same sounds.:unsure:
Well yeah I do but...

1) that's with me physically pressing the button. In my question I didn't - I was in the house. There was no 'knock' to the car. Only wind direction change & rain.
2) It doesn't explain why it randomly started beeping with no physical intervention or why there appears to be no beeping in any of the other videos I randomly tested that got thrown to the RO folder.
3) It doesn't explain why those (at least) 4 video files I mentioned are completely missing, not even just re-directed to the RO folder but missing completely.
4) It doesn't say what your own G-sensor settings are and on those settings, whether you experience a ton of files being sent to the RO folder (like I am), just a few, or only ever when the car received a knock.

Well yeah I do but...

1) that's with me physically pressing the button. In my question I didn't - I was in the house. There was no 'knock' to the car. Only wind direction change & rain.
2) It doesn't explain why it randomly started beeping with no physical intervention or why there appears to be no beeping in any of the other videos I randomly tested that got thrown to the RO folder.
3) It doesn't explain why those (at least) 4 video files I mentioned are completely missing, not even just re-directed to the RO folder but missing completely.
4) It doesn't say what your own G-sensor settings are and on those settings, whether you experience a ton of files being sent to the RO folder (like I am), just a few, or only ever when the car received a knock.
I did not claim, but only assumed that you can hear the same sounds when you press the triangular button on the DVR during operation. The video file ended up in the RO folder not just like that, but because of some event.
The DVR also makes such sounds when there is a problem with the memory card.
G-sensor on different firmware may have different sensitivity.
In my DVR, the parking G-sensor is set to medium sensitivity.
In my parking lot, video files do not end up in the RO folder and do not disappear in an unknown direction.
Try another memory card, maybe the problem is in it.

I did not claim, but only assumed that you can hear the same sounds when you press the triangular button on the DVR during operation. The video file ended up in the RO folder not just like that, but because of some event.
The DVR also makes such sounds when there is a problem with the memory card.
G-sensor on different firmware may have different sensitivity.
In my parking lot, video files do not end up in the RO folder and do not disappear in an unknown direction.
Try another memory card, maybe the problem is in it.

I appreciate that there is always the possibility of it being the memory card that is at fault.
BUT I don't believe it is in this case. Ok my belief is not a science but still, I don't believe it is faulty. The card is really not that old, it was working fine in the camera without being hardwired, fine in my other dash cam. I've freshly formatted it using guiformat (and not quick format).
I've had issues over the years with my last cam and the knee-jerk response was your SD card is bad. Well if my SD card was bad then I must have like 5 brand new bad SD cards. Chances = very unlikely. Lo & behold .... once the cam was sent to manufacturer, it turned out to be the motherboard that was faulty. Like I say, bad SD card is of course without a doubt possible, but I feel it is put out there a little too prematurely.
Of course I am willing to try a new card but first off I will be trying...
As I think that is much more likely to be the cause than a bad SD card.

Here's hoping.

Back