Viofo A229 Pro (unboxing & first impressions) (Novatek NT96529, Sony IMX678/IMX675/IMX307, HDR³, GPS⁴, 5Ghz WiFi, 4k front + 2k rear + 1080p cabin)

Viofo A229 Pro Firmware Update
  • Release date: 2024-02-29
  • Version: V1.2_240227
  • File size: 63.1M

Changelog:
  • Optimised: IQ and Bluetooth connection
  • Fixed: missing frames when the video clip is beyond 4GB
  • Fixed: wrong voice notification when entered parking mode
  • Fixed: other bugs
  • Added: OTA updates in the APP
  • Added: option to disable the GPS in the parking mode
  • Added: option to turn off HDR stamp

Viofo!!
Why is there no user control of the HDR function?
Why is the Auto function needed, which is very inconvenient!!
They didn’t fix it, as it was 4 seconds, between switching the HDR it remained that way, the Wi-Fi was also not corrected, but they made an item to remove in the HDR stamp, why, who did it interfere with, this is very useful information!!

Last edited:
Viofo!!
Why is there no user control of the HDR function?
Why is the Auto function needed, which is very inconvenient!!
They didn’t fix it, as it was 4 seconds, between switching the HDR it remained that way, the Wi-Fi was also not corrected, but they made an item to remove in the HDR stamp, why, who did it interfere with, this is very useful information!!
More options the better I say, even if it is confusing. Perhaps users would like to remove the HDR stamp & other markings off the video footage, when they wish to save / playback

Cheers Agie.

Excited to try it out. Viofo on a roll and with the telephoto camera coming up, should be good
Does address both cameras (or all 3)

Sky and dashboard or motor hood have 0 importance for a dashcam footage.
But not this is important, it is important that is a chance to stop people pointing the dashcam recording the sky because they don't want to record their dashboard. But even with that feature I don't expect for such people to try the 21:9 feature because most of them can not imagine why is that aspect ratio good.
Speaking about recording the sky, I saw youtubers and manufacturers uploading dashcam videos with more sky than road in the dashcam image. So if they can not accept such thing I dont expect average Joe to do it better. So, if by mistake some guy from this category will hit the 21:9 resolution maybe he will not align the lens for sky recording.

In my opinion the dashcams should have the default 21:9 resolution. It is not about being nice, more cinematic, but more useful.

Of course, I know, there will be some people saying that if they are first car at the traffic stop the dashcam will not record the traffic stop. My advice for them is to not go very close to the traffic stop if they are first, it is a good measure for everybody including pedestrians to stay a little back. In normal conditions a driver is not always first at the traffic stop and also there are some configurations like in USA where the traffic stop is also on the other side of the crossroad,
Refusing 21:9 because such claim, for me is not a valid claim against this great aspect ratio.

Remind me again why 21:9 is worth using/having Mtz please.

Paul.
My reason for using it is, why waste a quarter of your bitrate on recording your dash, and sky, when it could be better used elsewhere?

For best image quality, use 21:9.

Alternatively, instead of going for best image quality, you could select 21:9, then turn the bitrate down a step, then you will have about the same image quality as before, but smaller files.

Smaller files mean longer recording time before overwrite, faster downloads, cooler memory cards, longer memory card life, greater dashcam heat tolerance, lower battery use in parking mode, longer recording time in parking mode...

Does it increase the image quality? Or does it simply crop the original image? I.e. record at the original resolution/quality and then crop top and bottom parts. And therefor use less storage in the process?

Compared with the original 16:9 resolution (taking 4K 3840x2160 as an example), the recording screen of the 21:9 resolution (4K 3840x1600) crops the top and bottom portions of the image, displaying less sky and hood of the car. This option is suitable for users with specific preferences or needs.

Does it increase the image quality? Or does it simply crop the original image? I.e. record at the original resolution/quality and then crop top and bottom parts. And therefor use less storage in the process?
It may not even read the top and bottom from the image sensor, not sure, but it definitely has 21:9 before it is compressed, and last time I checked, the bitrates used are the same for both aspect ratios, so you do have more bits available per pixel, thus the image quality can genuinely be better, presumably 25% better. If you are using maximum bitrate anyway then it can be quite difficult to clearly see an improvement, a lot of it is in reduced pixelation, increased temporal accuracy, and better colour accuracy - colours don't bleed over into adjacent pixels as much. On a nice sunny day, images on 21:9, displayed on a good large screen, do look excellent. Not necessary quality for accident recording, but great for movie making. Of course it doesn't make much difference in poor lighting, it is not going to remove motion blur.

It looks like simple crop, from original resolution, likely will reduce the file size on SD, but I am not sure about improved quality and there is no associated bit rate reported with this resolution
Here is the statement:

"4. Added 21:9 Resolution

With firmware updated to V1.3 Beta, the dashcam now supports resolutions featuring a 21:9 aspect ratio.
Compared with the original 16:9 resolution (taking 4K 3840x2160 as an example), the recording screen of the 21:9 resolution (4K 3840x1600) crops the top and bottom portions of the image, displaying less sky and hood of the car. This option is suitable for users with specific preferences or needs."

21:9 looks a little too much to me.
I would prefer 2:1 (I think Netflix is using it for their movies, it is a new trend right in the middle between 16:1 and 21:1)

Dear VIOFO!!
Nothing significant happened in the new firmware!
In the HDR auto mode, the pause in working with the HDR became 5 seconds, this is not acceptable in the security of the DVR, why can’t it be done like in A139?
My idea of using a Bluetooth remote control to work with HDR was implemented by you in the same A139 and showed excellent results!!
We discussed using a Bluetooth remote control for the A229PRO and came to the conclusion that you will do it, and we were talking about the old remote control, with one button on/off HDR, double click - turns on file protection, but in the new firmware it doesn’t work!
Let the firmware understand the old and new remote control, it’s not difficult to implement!!
You have not worked out the exposure, the screenshot, highlights are inevitable, and in the professional photo/video community this is called an error and is not acceptable, modifying the firmware in the same A139PRO eliminates this defect!!!
I hope you pay attention to all this!!
Thank you!!

Attachments

• 229PRO.jpg
    229PRO.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A229P.jpg
    A229P.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 6
  • HDR_R.jpg
    HDR_R.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6
21:9 looks a little too much to me.
I would prefer 2:1 (I think Netflix is using it for their movies, it is a new trend right in the middle between 16:1 and 21:1)
2:1 (18:9) would not be worth bothering with, only gives a tiny saving in pixels.

21:9 is essentially standard DCP cinema projector aspect ratio, although it is slightly less than the 4K definition of 4096x1716, Starvis sensors are not quite that big. It is a useful saving in pixels and a visible improvement in image quality - 25%.

On a 2K dashcam, it will be too much for many people, on a 4K dashcam, which typically have about a 30% wider horizontal FoV than 2K, it is a nice aspect ratio, it brings the vertical FoV back down to match the typical 2K dashcam vertical FoV.

On an 8K dasham it will not be enough.

it definitely has 21:9 before it is compressed
I get your point, the compression algorithm doesn't have to waste bits on dash reflection or irrelevant (for road evidence) cloud movement.
Bit odd then that Viofo advertises it as an 'option suitable for users with specific preferences or needs.' and not just mention that it improves the image quality?!

Just wondered, how do you know the content is cropped before compression? Do you have a tool for that?
(I only have a basic understanding of how digital image processing works...)

Back