Viofo Parking Mode new beta feature

So it sounds like whoever designed these things picked the wrong cutoff.

My battery is about 840 watt-hours. If we let the battery run down to 80% capacity, that is consuming 168 watt-hours.

The camera uses about 2 watts, so it can run for 84 hours. So best to start the car every 2-3 days.

I found this chart, and it does look like 12.4 is where the cutoff should be:

Screen-_Shot-2012-10-29-at-8.48.09-_PM.png

Can the firmware have a low-voltage cutoff added for parking mode? I would go with 12.4 volts, or at least 12.2.

If the firmware cannot see voltage, I think it needs a timer to turn off after 1, 8, 24, or 48 hours.

Cameras based on 5V can not have this cut-off feature, only the 12V ones.
I was coming with some idea here, but some people are telling me that a 5V source can be only fixed, not variable. So I quit.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ok. We need parking mode to go into very low power mode after a preset number of hours then. It would stop looking at the camera and stop recording. It would wake up based on a bump or something.

I ordered four of these ($3.89 each). I will calibrate them by leaving my hood open and headlights on. When my multimeter says the battery is at 12.4 volts, I will turn the pot to trip the relay. It's the only way to be sure. I don't think I can trust those hard-wire kits. There were some for $3.25 each, but longer estimate arrival time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232440978347

Last edited:
I ordered four of these ($3.89 each). I will calibrate them by leaving my hood open and headlights on. When my multimeter says the battery is at 12.4 volts, I will turn the pot to trip the relay. It's the only way to be sure. I don't think I can trust those hard-wire kits. There were some for $3.25 each, but longer estimate arrival time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232440978347

They look well made and easy to use and cheap as chips, literally............ What are you planning to connect these to/in/on

Calibrate them by connecting to 12v battery on car. Turn on headlights and run battery down to 12.4 volts. Adjust potentiometer until it just trips. May as well get four of them and calibrate them all at once.

Get a "Add-A-Fuse" and plug it into the alarm circuit in the car's fuse panel. Get one with no more than a 5-amp fuse (most come with 15 amp fuses). Connect that to the battery side of the relay + terminal. Connect the - terminal to a screw under the dash that is grounded. Use a multi-meter to verify that you have power.

Connect the load side to one of those "hardwire kits" that convert the 12v to 5v (they also have an 11.6v cutoff, which we can ignore).

What I was asking was what sort of enclosure are you putting them in

I could 3D print an enclosure, but I will probably just wrap them with electrical tape. I will decide when I get them.

Take a look under your dash. You'll see exposed relays just like this all over. You don't need an enclosure. Just put a piece of plastic or cardboard on the back of the circuit board to insulate it from whatever you attach it to... Or just attach it to something plastic and you're set.

Old prescription pill bottles work good for weatherproofing as long as you avoid under-hood heat. PVC pipe and fittings do well too. Drill the holes you need and seal them with silicone. Just look around a little and something suitable will jump out at you ;)

Phil

Both my new Audi A4 and Q7 were driven yesterday. Both have two A119 in parking mode. Just now I measured the battery voltage. A4 was at 12.18 and Q7 was at 12.28. So it seems like a 12.2 cutoff is reasonable. The A4 started right up.

How many amps do you need to run it in parking mode? I have a hardwire kit that is rated at 1.5 amps and when my car is off parking mode does not work.

How many amps do you need to run it in parking mode? I have a hardwire kit that is rated at 1.5 amps and when my car is off parking mode does not work.
Is your hardwire kit connected to a circuit that's always live? The camera actually needs LESS power while in parking mode, so if it works while driving then it should work while parked as long as the circuit has power.

1.5A is fine, if it doesn't work when your car is off you need to check your setup, sounds like it's not wired correctly

Back