0906 disassembly

Is the a possibility to focus the lens while the cam is disassembled so that this tedious process only needs to be done once in each direction? :)

It's the only way, just take your time and work careful.

You don't need to put it back in the case to focus the lens, just be careful that all the cables are plugged in and that it is not touching any metal before you power it on. You should be gentle inserting/removing the HDMI/USB cables since it doesn't have the case to support it.

Warm it up to 35-40C, then as you screw the lens in it will come to close focus first, then further away, keep going until 20cm is out of focus again but 30cm is still just in focus, then it should be OK up to 90C.

Before you put the case back on, check the video from the SD card, it may be a sharper image than you can see on your monitor and want some more careful adjustment.

Yeah you focus the lens with just the PCB s and what ever plastic parts still attached due to wires ( front half shell with speaker and the round ring that the spring loaded steel ball click into for adjusting horizontal on windscreen )

I either focus across my living room with the camera connected with HDMI to my TV, or i do it out the living room window at the trees on the other side of the streeet.

For some reason it seem like i have most luck focusing across the street.

I had my camera apart so many times now, and i still have not fixed the lens in place, and it will probably be a while before i will do that.
But just "loose" fitting it don't seem to move out of focus for me, then again i have messed with that every day so will have to wait and see after i have run the camera some days.

Off course you will have to lock lens in place at some time, but to do that you don't have to take the 2 PCB s apart, that you can do just taking the plastic housing apart and then put a little glue where the lens meet the socket.

Off course you will have to lock lens in place at some time, but to do that you don't have to take the 2 PCB s apart, that you can do just taking the plastic housing apart and then put a little glue where the lens meet the socket.

Over the years when I've had to focus and possibly re-focus dash cam lenses I've found that if instead of glue I use a very small piece of 3M VHB tape, the lens stays securely in place and in focus but the tape can easily be removed if for some reason you later need to re-focus again. This might be a good time to use a technique like that.

when I first got hold of the mini 0806, I was lucky I had someone from here (DCT) make me a USB to HDMI cable (I'm sure you could be picked up from ebay) and used it to test the focusing and as this clip shows, working out the best position for the CPL filter but hope its of help to a few people

Hi All

I have received the new lens, the two FPC cables and the SMD resistors.

As I don't seem to have the thermal shutdown problems, I ignore the resistors as I don't have equipment to solder so tiny parts anyway.

The other day it was like 30°C, the first time this year in Switzerland, and when I got in the car the camera started at around 58°C righ away (parked in the sun all day). Cam temperature increased until it toggled around 73°/74°C. As the cabin cooled down on the way home because of the A/C, it slowly decreased to 68°C or so until I got home (45min).

At home, I had a look at the footage. Image was mushy and diffuse all over the place, I hardly could recognise a license plate until a car stood still in front of me at a red light.

A question regarding the lens replacement. I have the new lens, the (dis)assembly guide, a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable an a monitor with hdmi input. I have read in the guide that the lens should be focused at 3-5m distance. I don't feel like disassembling an reassembling the camera multiple times until I turned the lens in the right direction and focus is right. Is the a possibility to focus the lens while the cam is disassembled so that this tedious process only needs to be done once in each direction? :)

Cheers,
Tinu
Make sure the two boards are assembled and connected with the small ribbon cables. The LCD does not have to be connected.

Thanks for all replies, I have my setup now :)

cam_setup.jpg

So today I've received a letter from DHL Express..

This time they are not forcing me to pay 36,66 for shipping but they stopped processing my parcel at DHL Hub Leipzig :rolleyes:

Now I have to proove its worth... They do not accept an invoice, but want a "Wertnachweis" (proof of worth).. And the deadline is 24.05 otherwise they'll send it back.

What can I say :rolleyes:

Attachments

• EPSON020.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 16
So today I've received a letter from DHL Express..

This time they are not forcing me to pay 36,66 for shipping but they stopped processing my parcel at DHL Hub Leipzig :rolleyes:

Now I have to proove its worth... They do not accept an invoice, but want a "Wertnachweis" (proof of worth).. And the deadline is 24.05 otherwise they'll send it back.

What can I say :rolleyes:
Will they accept an internet link, the lens looks very like: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/New-...lgo_pvid=34b1bf4a-080e-4e33-a88b-b785f9303717

The resistors are so small they probably wont see them!

I got the same letter from DHL Hub in Basel. That they need a proof of payment (i.e. credit card, paypal) to process customs declaration. At first I didn't realize where the parcel is coming from, but luckily they included copies of the shipping papers so I recognised it was MEG.

I then wrote them that I don't exactly know what's inside (which is/was true), but could make an educated guess because of the other posts on here from guys that already got theirs. And I told DHL that I think a declared 5$ value for a piece of plastic lens is plausible.

I didn't get an answer to my email, but next day I got the parcel delivered. Quite big box for that little bit of content :)

Cheers,
Tinu

9.1 KΩ = ?? C
10.0 KΩ = ?? C
that was designed to be turn off on 95C with 10KΩ with original firmware,
we found the accuracy of temperature sensor can be improved little with 9.1KΩ and reworked firmware,
then we used 9.1K for pre-production,
but the testers feedback there is temperature difference, some show 75C and some show 95 in around same environment.
we researched here and didn't find components difference, can only suppose the temperature sensor is different in different tolrance.

the temporary solution is change 9.1K to 10K to heighten the shut off temperature. (from 75 to 95)
the stationary solution is choose higher grade temperature sensor to instead, make sure the tolrance is in 3 degreeC.

I got the same letter from DHL Hub in Basel. That they need a proof of payment (i.e. credit card, paypal) to process customs declaration. At first I didn't realize where the parcel is coming from, but luckily they included copies of the shipping papers so I recognised it was MEG.

I then wrote them that I don't exactly know what's inside (which is/was true), but could make an educated guess because of the other posts on here from guys that already got theirs. And I told DHL that I think a declared 5$ value for a piece of plastic lens is plausible.

I didn't get an answer to my email, but next day I got the parcel delivered. Quite big box for that little bit of content :)

Cheers,
Tinu

sorry I didn't send everyone PM this time because it was a super busy week.
all the shipping invoice is marked $5 (lens $2*2+FPC $0.5*2 +free shipping).
If anyone need a custom invoice please let me know.

Got all the parts. Looks like a fun weekend.
IMG_20170520_130136.jpg

You are going for 7.3 surround sound on your mini 0906 (y)
Yeah, I wish we had brick and mortar electronics stores... With everything online, I have to buy multiples of everything.
If anyone needs a microphone, let me know :)

Yeah, I wish we had brick and mortar electronics stores... With everything online, I have to buy multiples of everything.
If anyone needs a microphone, let me know :)

When I needed a replacement microphone onetime I was able to cannibalize a couple of old dash cams. One didn't work too well but the other was a good impedance match.

When I needed a replacement microphone onetime I was able to cannibalize a couple of old dash cams. One didn't work too well but the other was a good impedance match.
You just reminded me that I have one 0903 that will never be used :)

Got all the parts. Looks like a fun weekend.
View attachment 31065
Update:
- replaced and refocused lens (easy)
- replaced mic (easy)
- replaced RTC battery (PIA mostly because the replacement was larger)

Results:
- lens sharpness looks good
- RTC held time over night and GPS cold lock indoor in the morning was ~2min. Could be related to the RTC having correct time.
- still no sound - actually the symptom is the same, a lot of buzzing with very low sound level. Obviously mic was not the problem.

In the end I am happy about the result, bummer about the mic though - kind of prevents me from using it as my primary system.

- still no sound - actually the symptom is the same, a lot of buzzing with very low sound level. Obviously mic was not the problem.
Just a thought - have you got the mic the correct way around, possibly the original was the wrong way around too. I guess they may still produce a signal when backwards, but the amplifier in the mic module wont work with negative power so it would be very low.

You just reminded me that I have one 0903 that will never be used :)
I've got one of those too.

bummer about the mic though - kind of prevents me from using it as my primary system.
The mic doesn't need to be on the primary camera, in fact the windscreen may not be the best place to have it, I quite like having the mic in the back of the car, gives quite a different sound, exhaust noise instead of engine noise, more likely to catch squealing tyres and horns behind you, but maybe Rayman owes you a production camera when they are ready since you've put a fair amount of time into 0903 and 0906.

Back