128GB thinkware sd card

If you consider that the F770 was not even rated as accepting the 128 gb card but many people including myself used a 128 gb card, mychoice is well documented as the Sandisk.

J.

Thanks for the response. I read that previously in the thread and it does give me confidence but I wonder if Thinkware may have intentionally crippled it on the F800 so they could sell the Pro. I guess the card is only $40 so if it doesn't work then oh well..

I might order it and see but I was hoping someone with a non Pro F800 could confirm before I do so.

I ordered it and will report back after it arrives. Gotta love Amazon Prime. Free 2 day with Sunday delivery..

I'll know on Sunday if it works or not.

Should I copy the base files over from my current card or just format it in the device?

There are many references about formatting cards on this forum, but personally formatting in the device has worked for me.

J.

I'm not concerned about the warranty as sd cards fail, it's just a fact and at $40 who cares at that price? I've had sd cards fail before and I've never considered getting it warrantied. They are, in my opinion, disposable..

My main concern is if the F800 will take a 128GB card. Guess I'll know the absolute answer on Sunday when it's delivered.

Buy the right card for the right application -
High Endurance , simples .

Buy the right card for the right application -
High Endurance , simples .

Plenty of people are using the card in dash cams without incident. My only concern is IF the F800 will take a 128GB card...

If you got a 128gb for $40 I reckon its a fake A good guaranteed one is at least $68 I paid $85 for my last one Use the program mentioned above to test it It sorts out the crap ones instantly

I know majority of the info is already on here but just 1 question before i purchase a Sandisk 128gb is from what i believe the settings of the camera is stored on the SD card, so by inserting the new SD card do i need to re-apply the camera/recording settings?

Or i'm i mistaken and it is just a matter of remove old card, insert new card and format and go?

If you got a 128gb for $40 I reckon its a fake A good guaranteed one is at least $68 I paid $85 for my last one Use the program mentioned above to test it It sorts out the crap ones instantly
Well it is a 'ships and sold' by Amazon so I doubt it's a fake. It's basically the Samsung Evo Plus card that is an Amazon exclusive.

I got a 64GB Samsung Evo Plus card from Best Buy (in store) for $19.99 a month ago as well.

Just a quick update. I received the Samsung Evo Select 128GB card and plopped it in my F800 - non Pro and the F800 formatted, read it, and is operating fine with it in there.

I guess the F800 (non Pro) will in fact take a 128GB card.

I'll report back after the card has a chance to completely loop or if I experience any issues.

Last edited:
Most are well aware that some SD card manufacturers do not warranty SD cards if they are used in a dash cam. That's does not mean they don't work, or will ever develop an issue.

Blackboxmycar recommends and sells the Samsung Evo Plus cards so apparently they are satisfied with the performance and longevity of them.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/colle...-plus-class-10-micro-sdxc?variant=49946899463

If a warranty is important to someone then they should only buy a card that says it's approved for a dash cam.

Me? I do not care if the SD card has a warranty. My posting in this thread was simple:

My question was NOT:

1. Was not to ask if the Samsung card has a warranty when used in a dash cam ---> I already knew the answer.

2. Was not to ask if the Samsung card was a good card ---> I already knew the answer.

3. Was not to ask if Samsung Evo Select card that ships and sold by Amazon a fake card ---> I already knew the answer.

My question WAS:

1. The F800 says the max card it takes is 64GB.

2. The F800 Pro says the max card it takes is 128GB.

3. Some have speculated the F800 would take a 128GB card but no firm answer.

The answer is YES the F800 (non Pro) takes a 128GB card just fine despite it's specs saying 64GB is the max.

Clear as mud?

If someone is concerned about a SD card warranty then yes they should only buy a card that specifically says it's for use in a dash cam.

If someone is concerned about fake cards then they should only buy from reputable sellers. For Amazon, anything ships and sold by them should be fine. 3rd party sellers on Amazon? Not so much.

My .02

Last edited:
Although videos above & some websites do mention avoiding SanDisk...

Purchased a SanDisk Extreme 128 GB for my F800 Pro over the weekend, plugged it in, formatted and working. Picked it up for £56 from Amazon UK which i thought was a decent price.

Attachments

• SD.png
    SD.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 19
Although videos above & some websites do mention avoiding SanDisk...

Purchased a SanDisk Extreme 128 GB for my F800 Pro over the weekend, plugged it in, formatted and working. Picked it up for £56 from Amazon UK which i thought was a decent price.
Yeah and that's kind of the problem in my opinion. Some sites say avoid this or that card while others recommend and sell the same card.

That video is a direct example. He does not recommend buying some cards because of the warranty but others are using them without incident. He says buy the Lexar x633 but many are reporting the new version of that card does not work.

I usually go by user input and their real world usage long before I follow the advice of YouTubers and Retailers.

Now I do agree that IF having a warranty on the SD card is important to someone that they buy based on that. Only a few cards are officially approved for dash cam use.

I am happy the F800 takes a 128GB card despite what it's specs say. I am going to run the card for a week, make sure it's really using all 128GB before adding the rear camera. Adding a rear camera was the main reason I wanted a 128GB card.

Last edited:
It's not so much the warranty it's having a sd that's memory type is optimised for the continuous overwrites a dashcam is subjecting it too . Also usually better error correction and controllers .

Choose San Disk , Transcend , Lexar , etc - High Endurance with MLC Nand .

It's not so much the warranty it's having a sd that's memory type is optimised for the continuous overwrites a dashcam is subjecting it too . Also usually better error correction and controllers .

Choose San Disk , Transcend , Lexar , etc - High Endurance with MLC Nand .
The new Lexar x633 cards have proven problematic in dash cams. Also there are reports of the Transcend High Endurance cards not playing well in the Thinkware dash cams.

The newer Samsung cards use their own NAND. Apparently it's a higher end TLC and some say on par with MLC.

Time will tell how long I make it with the Evo Select card but at $40 for a 128GB card I am willing to take the risk.

Making blanket recommendations is not really a good idea. I'll take real world user reports over YouTubers and Retailers 100 out of 100 times.

Do you have any usage of the Samsung Evo Plus or Select cards in the Thinkware's? If so I am all ears..

Last edited:
Lexar x633 are High Performance not High Endurance .

Lexar x633 are High Performance not High Endurance .
Huh?

You recommended people buy the Lexar cards and the new x633's are problematic. The Transcend High Endurance card you recommended do not play well in the Thinkware's.

I'm confused as to why this thread has been hijacked.

Good points have been made and some terrible ones as well since the thread is about the Thinkware F800 and the F800 Pro.

Anyways no sense beating a dead horse over irrelevant information.

If anyone with an F800 wants to use a 128GB card I can say the Samsung Evo Select works fine so far. I have not tried other 128GB card in the camera so I can't speak to them.

Back