128GB thinkware sd card

Has anyone tried a samsung 64 gb pro endurance card. Bought a sandisk high endurance before seeing it mentioned anywhere of it's incompatibility with thinkware. Have a samsung but would like to know of anyone's experiences with it before I seend it back as well.
Had the same experiences as others with the sandisk.

just noticed a lot of pages saying format in windows etc. this is wrong and incorrect advice. you should NEVER format a dashcam SD card in a windows pc or any other os than its own. you place SD card into the dashcam and format via that.

the thinkware sd cards all have special ids, only way to use other memory cards is to either buy a old old thinkware model dashcam or clone the thinkware sd cards onto another 3rd party the same size or larger.

just noticed a lot of pages saying format in windows etc. this is wrong and incorrect advice. you should NEVER format a dashcam SD card in a windows pc or any other os than its own. you place SD card into the dashcam and format via that.

the thinkware sd cards all have special ids, only way to use other memory cards is to either buy a old old thinkware model dashcam or clone the thinkware sd cards onto another 3rd party the same size or larger.
While I would agree with it not being necessary to format SD cards on a Windows PC, I have found the Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb and the Sandisk Ultra 128Gb SD cards format and perform without issue in the F800 Pro.

While I would agree with it not being necessary to format SD cards on a Windows PC, I have found the Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb and the Sandisk Ultra 128Gb SD cards format and perform without issue in the F800 Pro.

using a Windows pc to format may work however is an unsupported configuration because file system byte size etc may differ but still work.

personally since thinkware state thinkware sd cards with there dashcam I wouldn't bother using Windows to format due to fear of the cam interactiving with it in an unsupported way. the reason why they so this is due to support. blackvue are also jumping on bandwagon as dodgy SD card config can cause the dash cam to work in an unexpected way.

what is the argument for formatting via a pc or is it just a habit?

it's extra steps to us use computer compared to unpackaged and place directly into cam.

using a Windows pc to format may work however is an unsupported configuration because file system byte size etc may differ but still work.

personally since thinkware state thinkware sd cards with there dashcam I wouldn't bother using Windows to format due to fear of the cam interactiving with it in an unsupported way. the reason why they so this is due to support. blackvue are also jumping on bandwagon as dodgy SD card config can cause the dash cam to work in an unexpected way.

what is the argument for formatting via a pc or is it just a habit?

it's extra steps to us use computer compared to unpackaged and place directly into cam.
Sorry, you misunderstand me, I have never formatted an SD card using the PC. I always format in the cam using the app. What I was saying is that the two cards I mention format in the cam and perform without issue in my experience.

Sandisc high endurance failed in my f800 after two days, yet works fine in my pc.
Presently using a samsung pro endurance that I bought on sale at amazon, so far after three days all's good. If thinkware is limiting usage to only their brand of sds in their cams, shame on them and they should have that stated on the retail box as I wouldn't of bought one with that knowledge. Would be somewhat acceptable if the thinkware cards weren't so overpriced. At least if it is true that they only allow use of their own brand then the cam should sound a warning as soon as the card is inserted rather than rejecting it after you are on the road.

Sandisc high endurance failed in my f800 after two days, yet works fine in my pc.
Presently using a samsung pro endurance that I bought on sale at amazon, so far after three days all's good. If thinkware is limiting usage to only their brand of sds in their cams, shame on them and they should have that stated on the retail box as I wouldn't of bought one with that knowledge. Would be somewhat acceptable if the thinkware cards weren't so overpriced. At least if it is true that they only allow use of their own brand then the cam should sound a warning as soon as the card is inserted rather than rejecting it after you are on the road.
they have been doing this for the last 3 years. if you have a model that accepts other memory cards other than thinkware you are very lucky you got it from that batch.

thinkware come with stickers same with blackvue stating the memory card that isn't their brand may invalidate warranty.
thinkware also state on their f&q regarding their cams and memory cards.

thinkware cards are priced similar to others with a brand name. it would be interesting to find out if they are mlc or tlc.

most SanDisk are tlc not mlc and very cheaply made, massively avoided in Eastern countries.

personally if you spent crazy amount for a dash cam why skimp on a memory card or formatting it as that cam is your witness /backup in the event of an incident. you need it reliable and fully working.

I have used mine several times in accidents and each time I have won. on another note you need to remember costs of replacing the card every few years when it runs out of ops.

they have been doing this for the last 3 years. if you have a model that accepts other memory cards other than thinkware you are very lucky you got it from that batch.

thinkware come with stickers same with blackvue stating the memory card that isn't their brand may invalidate warranty.

thinkware cards are priced similar to others with a brand name. it would be interesting to find out if they are mlc or tlc.

most SanDisk are tlc not mlc and very cheaply made, massively avoided in Eastern countries.

personally if you spent crazy amount for a dash cam why skimp on a memory card or formatting it as that cam is your witness /backup in the event of an incident. you need it reliable and fully working.

I have used mine several times in accidents and each time I have won. on another note you need to remember costs of replacing the card every few years when it runs out of ops.
Well I believe that disclaimer rega

Well thinkware cards are expensive no matter which way you slice it, and the warranty is up to the card maker though I appreciate they stating that it might not cover the cards warranty. And also just because I don't want to pay a premium price for something similar I can get at a lesser price doesn't mean I am taking chances. There are a lot of well made cards out there and my choices should not be limited by the maker of the dash cam, at least not intentionally, and if intentionally it should be clearly stated up front if other card brands besides their own won't work. But thanks for the reply I do appreciate it.

I bought a TW 128GB card in May 2018, it went tits up yesterday after 10 months of use. I'm currently using a TW 32GB card until replacement 128GB cards arrive. I can't convince myself spending 4 - 7X more for another TW 128 card is worth it, SPOR technology or not. For half the cost of 1 genuine TW 128GB card I bought 2 different 128GB cards to try my luck with, a ScanDisk 128GB Extreme and a Samsung 128 GB EVO select. I'll report back with how these 2 cards worked out.

I have been using a samsung 64 gig pro endurance ($30) in my f800 for over a month now with out issues. Haven't updated the firmware yet, will be interesting to see if still works after the upgrade.

Have been using Sandisk Ultra A1 128gb card purchased from Amazon (sold by and shipped by) in my Thinkware F800 pro for over six months with no problems, card has been tested with the heat of the summer and cold of winter works great!

Last edited:
Have been using SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I card with Adapter (SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA) (CDN$ 59.89) Sold by Amazon.com.ca, Inc. in my F800 Pro for the past 10 months, no problems in over 30C summer heat and -20C winter cold.

The Sandisk Extreme 128GB SDXC U3 V30 arrived. I placed into the camera, formatted it and it worked for 1 day. By worked I mean the camera didn't bitch about anything. On day 2 I drove to work with no issues. When I got off work and started the car the F800 began complaining about formatting. I removed the card and reinstalled the TW card. When got home I reviewed the video using the TW PC viewer app. The videos loaded much faster than with the TW card. But I only had footage from the front camera..... weird. I tried the card again, formatted it from the camera. The camera would complete the format and start up but right after the GPS connected message played the format required message began playing. So this Sandisk card will not work in my F800Pro. One down, one to go, next up the Samsung EVO.

Just received the Samsung EVO select 128 GB card and it works great, continuous recording and parking mode. Sound is fine, video is fine as well. All I had to do was pop it into the camera, I was actually never even prompted to format the card, it just worked.

Keep in mind I first tried the Sandisk extreme pro 128 GB card and it did NOT work, even after downloading most recent firmware from thinkware.com and trying to format in the camera. I have attached pictures of both cards so you can all see the exact card that does and does not work.

Attachments

• 70BDB915-DD7F-40E1-BA67-D6E4CFD4C375.jpeg
    70BDB915-DD7F-40E1-BA67-D6E4CFD4C375.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 9D7E7DD0-E6FF-4214-B075-49B009D64E9C.jpeg
    9D7E7DD0-E6FF-4214-B075-49B009D64E9C.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 23
I picked up another Samsung Evo Select 128GB card for $20 from AMZ, the model number is MB-ME128GA/AM. The other Evo Select card I bought was model MB-ME128DA/AM and cost $55. Both cards work perfectly in my camera, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the model numbers or what the model numbers mean? I tried a little google-fu on this but came up empty.

For F800 non-Pro users with 64Gb or 128Gb microSD cards, does the F800 prefer exFAT or FAT32?

I don't know, but if you let the camera format the card via the App, I'm sure it will choose for itself.

I've read through all this thread's posts and thought I'd seen the SanDisk Extreme and Samsung Evo cards being recommended as working. Sadly I've had both these cards from Amazon and had to return both as they appeared to format okay in the camera, but then the camera tells me about 10 seconds later that the card needs formatting.

So I emailed Thinkware to ask them if their cameras only use their own cards. There response was:

"The devices are not locked to Thinkware only SD cards. However we cannot guarantee compatibility of other makes of SD. 128GB Thinkware card and lower are purchasable below.
https://thinkwaredashcam.store/accessories/f800-pro/
Kind Regards,
Ryan (Thinkware Support Team)"

I initially thought, as many have speculated, that my camera being so new (purchased June 18), that I had the latest firmware and this locked out third-party cards. But I'm not sure now as so many others seem to have had success with the SanDisk Extreme and the Samsung Evo.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will just buy the Thinkware 128GB card, as I want that capacity and think other posters are right about having bought the Rolls Royce of dashcams, why would I then buy cheap accessories for it. I'm gutted, as I would have liked to shop around, but I just want it to work now and feel I've exhausted every avenue.

That's my two-pennies worth, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Back