1st DashCam - Need guidance

phatb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been a lurker here for awhile and I've read other threads by 1st time dashcam purchasers and the what to buy sticky but I'm still a bit undecided as to what I want to purchase.

Since this is my first time, it all seems intimidating, no only because it's my first dashcam but I have concerns on how to wire/hardwire a dashcam, hoping it doesn't interfere with current navigation system, etc. So if I can also get feedback from other users on this and how they use their dashcams day to day (do some of you unplug or remove dashcam then plug/place dashcam back after parking/before driving, etc)

*I current have a 2009 RX350.
*My budget is up to $150 - I've seen that the Street Guardian cam has great quality and support but it's a bit over budget at $200 (does anyone know if there are coupons or deals on this?)
*Looking for a good quality day cam and night cam
*Hopefully the dashcam would be able to read license plates (but I've read video can be enhanced in VLC and in other editing tools)
*I'd like something to still be able to record when involved in an accident *knock on wood*
*I'd like something reliable - I've seen people have issues with cams like the mini806 and it scares me despite reviews stating if you get a well-made one, it has great quality
*I am not concerned if the dashcam is discreet
*If possible, maybe have rearcam/dual channel but not a priority
**Also if possible, have wifi capabilities

I've browsed Amazon and there are some affordable cams there with great reviews but aren't mentioned often here in these forums and wanted to know what your thought is on this - are these cams good? do you think these reviews were bought or do these purchasers not know any better for not checking forums like these?

Thanks for the assistance and I'm glad I found this forum.

Welcome to DCT phatb :) Even though it is slightly higher than you have planned the SG9665GC is an excellent choice for overall quality and reliability. The service and support alone would make it an outstanding choice. Many great choices, and great advice from others on this forum for other very nice cameras. When you decide buy from one of the approved sellers listed on this site and you will do fine. Good luck!

I think the Mobius is a great first time camera, until you are hooked and then desire things like GPS and WiFi (two things it doesn't have.) It's just a very simple basic cam that can easily be hardwired into your automobile. Once you know where to go / what to download it becomes very user friendly. It has many mounting options and getting video from it is easily done on your computer / smartphone / tablet. For $80, plus the cost of the SD card, hard wire kit and your mounting choice, it's a stellar device. Something it lacks for me is great night viewing, but I'm not out all that much during the night. If I were to do it all over again, and had no budget I'd go for a Street Guardian for it's awesome night viewing.

Hmmm , yeah its always something ...
I have had decent results with the A118c ... http://www.gearbest.com/promotion-xmas-consumer-electronics-sale-special-312.html Gearbest has it for $50 USD as a Christmas special ...
Dome has some nice cams , and yeah the Mobius - but it has no screen and setting up needs to be via computer ... And some folks get confused by the process and settings ( ? )
If you have a $150 budget , then there is a fair bit of choice , just need to educate yourself a little , https://dashcamtalk.com/
The front page could be a great place to start

I was torn between staying in budget with Mobius or going to SG but was hoping for a coupon or for price to slightly drop down. I'm leaning toward the SG because as someone's wife said in another thread, to sum it short, buy it right the first time. I understand that SG offers great customer service (I'll need this as I'm a noob and would like to hardware but am too damn insecure and afraid to break something), but is there warranty installed?

I'd go with the SG9665GC. It's complete with sd card with the price. Great night/ day, reliable, service/support that's immediate gives great peace of mind. $50 above your budget is a small amount for what you get.

Happy to help. Your SG9665GC will be shipped in a few days. We have more stock en route as we speak. (Can barely keep them in stock). Stand by to stand by

Back