2CH Panorama X2. FullHD + FullHD ( 256Gb ). Sony Exmor CMOS. WDR. GPS. 24/7 Parking Mode Rec.

A question on the parking mode/facility:- Can this be used 'intermittently? for example I would have no need for a 24/7 set up but would find it useful if I could switch it on and off say during the weekly shopping trip, general parking when out and about, without much trouble of course or fiddling around with the settings.

based on my driving habits and commute, i can keep my 128gb sandisk cards in the cam from sunday to friday evening (no overwrite) and when i take them out i still have ~30gb or so on front and much more in the rear...

Same with me. Even 64Gb is enough for me for 3-4 working days with my driving. The only "problem" comes when some time going shopping with my wife over the weekend and park car for half day in very busy shopping centre car park. So, the "cost of being married" is not that high ( from dashcam owner point of view ), only price of 128Gb memory card to last 1 full week, - not bad at all. :D

200GB is impressive in such a small size - hopefully they'll have some extra put aside so that it would cope better in the event of memory failure so it can just mark the block as bad and carry on - just like SSDs do although it's difficult to get all that into the microSD size so it's probably nowhere near like how SSDs manage it.

What was even more interesting is that Sandisk are also now offering high endurance cards designed for dashcams - they're probably cards at the better end of the quality spectrum or they've got tweaks to make them suit that task better such as improvements to the memory controller and maybe a different type of memory used.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandisk-ultra-microsd-high-endurance,28657.html

Interestingly the 64GB card is only rated to last 417 days the the 32GB card just 208 days if the camera is running 24x7 like some cameras do (i.e. those running low frame rate parking mode).

SanDisk also announced the first microSDXC memory card designed for high-endurance applications. The SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring (HEVM) 64 GB memory card is designed for dash cameras and home video monitoring systems and has the ability to withstand 10,000 hours of full HD video recording. The 32 GB version of the memory card features a 5,000-hour recording threshold.

Memory cards are well suited for vehicle applications. They are resistant to shock, can weather temperature extremes and are waterproof. The HEVM memory cards operate at Class 10 speeds, which is sufficient for the majority of video applications. The HEVM cards have a two-year warranty and are available for $84.99 and $149.99 for the 32 GB and 64 GB capacity points, respectively. HEVM cards will initially only be available through the SanDisk website for U.S. customers.

HighEndurance.png

A question on the parking mode/facility:- Can this be used 'intermittently? for example I would have no need for a 24/7 set up but would find it useful if I could switch it on and off say during the weekly shopping trip, general parking when out and about, without much trouble of course or fiddling around with the settings.

Bump....

To be honest I just leave mine on with the voltage mode set - you would have to go through the menus to enable / disable it but once you're used to it then it only takes a few presses.

I've got to admit the idea is to just configure it initially and then leave it sitting there recording.

I've got to admit the idea is to just configure it initially and then leave it sitting there recording.

That I assume means it is running 24/7 and given I want to avoid that happening as the car can sit on the drive unused for several days which in the winter months tends to drain power from the main battery so to be sure of a clean start normally leave my 'C-Tec' charger connected.

Perhaps I need to leave well alone given I hate cars that struggle to start first time everytime:rolleyes:

Ah that's what voltage power control is for - I have mine set to 12.4V (which is currently actually 12.1V) and the camera turns itself off once at that threshold. That way you have nothing else to worry about as once it's off it doesn't drain power.

My car was just parked up from last Tuesday until this morning as I was away and it started up without issue and it's why I won't turn off power control as that's your safety guard :)

My car battery is coming up to one year old soon

I've been thinking about the issues I've seen on mine when it goes from parking mode when it first detects ACC where it sometimes stops recording.

Loads of dashcams have problems on diesels and usually something like a 5 or 10 second delay on startup fixes it - maybe it's as simple as rewriting the logic so that instead of trying to go straight from parking mode to driving mode it waits ten seconds before actually making the transition so that you've got plenty of time to actually start the car?

Maybe even a full reboot of the camera at that stage to flush out any memory leaks would help massively too?

There may be something to that when you consider that the camera pre buffers constantly, not sure how this is managed but perhaps it needs to clear the buffer before changing modes

Hopefully the debug version that's coming will help get to the bottom of it

Yeah I don't know why mate but was considering why the G was so stable and it dawned on me that it rebooted every time I started my car.

If they wanted to keep track of the g sensor events they could write them to sd card and then when it's booted it could read the file and display the counter as it does now.

They grey box seemed to happen more when the uptime increased - it's going to be a bugger if a reboot fixes it :)

Has anyone here needed to extend the rear camera cable ? I ask this because i need about 7 m ( 21 feet ) to reach rear cam. Have to run down pilar, along floor, back up again.. no choice in the matter...
I need confirmation this is standard USB so it can be extended with USB extender, which worked fine with my previous dashcam.

Thanks

Has anyone here needed to extend the rear camera cable ? I ask this because i need about 7 m ( 21 feet ) to reach rear cam. Have to run down pilar, along floor, back up again.. no choice in the matter...
I need confirmation this is standard USB so it can be extended with USB extender, which worked fine with my previous dashcam.

Thanks

Here you go:
Looked over the vids last night and the 3 feet extension cable for my rear camera I have is working fine. It's this one here on Amazon. Make sure it's the standard one if anyone is ordering, and not the OTG cable which the seller also sells. They also sell a 6 inch one and should function as well but I haven't tested that cable. So as long as this is working, I won't need to redo my cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00B5HSCW0

Thanks Pier28.. but how long is the original cable ? USB standard stipulates max of 5 meters.. extending USB beyond 5 meters without a proper active extender will/can cause issues.
I currently have an active USB extender already installed in my vehicle from my previous dashcam and was wondering if i can re-use it. Rear cam must be standard USB though..

cheers

These use standard USB cables but this is not a standard USB protocol being used

Thanks jokiin...

So how long is the original cable ? and how much can it be extended by ( max length ) ?

Cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B X2 0
B X2 9
L X2 2
E X2 2
Joelinnh X2 2
Back