32G Class 10 card speed too slow... ??

RC TAYLOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Blueskysea
Hi everyone. I've had this camera running for a few months now, no complaints until recently. Occasionally when I start my car, I hear the 803's start up chime followed by the "error beep" about 20 seconds later. When I lean over to check the screen the message is already gone. I finally pulled it off the windshield, and plugged it in to see what was going on... found out it says "card speed too slow," or something to that effect. I'm using a sandisk 32G class 10 I bought at Costco. I don't have the GPS model, and no internal memory. I have the recycle rate set to 5 minutes, though that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

My temporary solution was to reduce the size of the recording from max to the 1900x1200 or so option. So far so good, but I'm only about a quarter of the way full on my memory card after formatting. Anyone running into this?

The "Class" number is not a very good indicator of a cards performance. It takes a bit of digging to find the write speeds of cards, which is what matters.
Sandisk make great cards, but you have to get the higher performance versions to get above average write speeds. But Sandisk have become very expensive for these higher end cards.
I ended up getting Samsung's higher performance cards. They didn't cost much more than a regular brand named card but perform like the best of Sandisk's. Historically I've always used Sandisk, but couldn't justify the extra expense this time. Samsung is a clear leader price/performance wise.

I started mine using a 16 gb class 6 Kingmax, ordered by e-prance. Currently, I use a 32gb class 10 Patriot and it works well.

I'm happy with Transcend, & Lexar. I too gave up on SanDisk for DashCam use. (too hit or miss lately)

PNY seems to be the latest low price leader and initial reports asking around show they are ok as well. (I'm about to order some 256GB SD cards for the Panorama)

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI re Class 10 cards. (in the user guide)
View attachment 7955
The user guide is wrong! (May have been correct for the Mini 0801 but the Mini 0803 is a new generation and much improved.)

Class 4 is not recommended and is not fast enough for the higher quality higher resolution modes.

Class 6 and anything above work fine on the Mini 0803 at all resolutions and qualities.

I am using a class 10 and no problem. I think that the sandisk class 10 is causing some problems, the others brands works ok.

I am using a class 10 and no problem. I think that the sandisk class 10 is causing some problems, the others brands works ok.
Make sure you buy from a reputable seller. If it's from eBay, then selling countrified and fake SD cards on there is ridiculous! I bought 3 different cards only to find out they're all counterfeited and corrupted.

You should test your SD card with
H2testw
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

I blamed the camera and the mount for my problems, but turns out the SD card was faulty all along, and that I also got scammed several times from eBay. Luckily I got refunded every time. A working 64GB card should cost upwards of $30, I kept buying $10 and $15 cards which were all fake and full of corrupted, unwritable crap!

SanDisk 16gb class 10 no problem;)

Samsung Evo 32GB Class 10 card in mine. Working perfectly.

POQbum, I always buy my cards of reputable stores here in Brazil, like Newegg in the USA. I don't trust in sellers of ebay, free market (on Brazil) and you are right in your words.

I ordered a 32Gb card from JooVuu when I ordered my 0803, they shipped a class 4 Sandisc and it's been fine so far. Maybe sandisc is a bit hit n miss, (I've got a dead one at home that expired without warning) but when you get a good one, it's fine, even a class 4.

My Sandisk Ultra 64GB seems to suffer a bit of intermittence; I did bump up the data rate to 18 using Tobi@s firmware hack, and now that I have my 0803 heatsink modded and the power cable soldered directly to the GPS base leads for better overall reliability I have also set the camera to the SuperHD resolution. In an hour long commute I hear 3-5 of the sad-beep sounds, and on the rare occasions I've been able to peek around the rearview to see the screen when it happens I've seen the 'slow sd' message.

In all honesty though that Sandisk got used for most of a year as a virtual drive on my Surface before being moved to the 0803, as my on-travel photo editing storage, so it's been hammered already with scads of files (and yes, I did notice it was pretty bloody slow on the Surface with 24MB RAW camera files, but assumed it was the Surface's microSD slot bus at the time).

Just picked up a couple of 64GB Lexar class 10's that claim a higher max transfer rate than the Sandisk Ultra (both claim the same min transfer rate though). In a quick test in the included USB3 adaptor on my Surface it accepted large files a whole lot faster (haven't tested directly in the Surface microSD slot yet), so we'll see if this takes care of my intermittence or if I still have a camera HW issue. Will report back after 3-4 days (about the time it takes for the card to have to start overwriting files w/ my daily commute and current data rate).

I ordered a 32Gb card from JooVuu when I ordered my 0803, they shipped a class 4 Sandisc and it's been fine so far. Maybe sandisc is a bit hit n miss, (I've got a dead one at home that expired without warning) but when you get a good one, it's fine, even a class 4.

Hi Ouch77,
I do apologise for that. if you contact us at joovuu.com/contact we can get that changed and replaced for you. I really do apologise.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi Ouch77,
I do apologise for that. if you contact us at joovuu.com/contact we can get that changed and replaced for you. I really do apologise.

Kind regards,

JooVuu
I see no reason to return the card, as it is still working fine. I pulled it out today to assess its recording over the weekends road trip up the borders and the video quality is fine, likewise there appears to be no complaints from the camera unit itself about the card either.

Out of interest, is anyone else here running a class 4 card successfully? In theory a class 4 card should be able to record/replay HD video, with a write speed of 4MBps that is still higher than the data rate of Blue Ray: ~22Mbps = 2.75 MBps (note the distinction between bits (b) and Btyes (B))

Gspot suggests the average bitstream rate of a video (recorded by the 0803) is around the 15570 kbps which is a smudge under 2 MBps.

Last edited:
My Sandisk Ultra 64GB seems to suffer a bit of intermittence; I did bump up the data rate to 18 using Tobi@s firmware hack, and now that I have my 0803 heatsink modded and the power cable soldered directly to the GPS base leads for better overall reliability I have also set the camera to the SuperHD resolution. In an hour long commute I hear 3-5 of the sad-beep sounds, and on the rare occasions I've been able to peek around the rearview to see the screen when it happens I've seen the 'slow sd' message.

In all honesty though that Sandisk got used for most of a year as a virtual drive on my Surface before being moved to the 0803, as my on-travel photo editing storage, so it's been hammered already with scads of files (and yes, I did notice it was pretty bloody slow on the Surface with 24MB RAW camera files, but assumed it was the Surface's microSD slot bus at the time).

Just picked up a couple of 64GB Lexar class 10's that claim a higher max transfer rate than the Sandisk Ultra (both claim the same min transfer rate though). In a quick test in the included USB3 adaptor on my Surface it accepted large files a whole lot faster (haven't tested directly in the Surface microSD slot yet), so we'll see if this takes care of my intermittence or if I still have a camera HW issue. Will report back after 3-4 days (about the time it takes for the card to have to start overwriting files w/ my daily commute and current data rate).

Can now report back; card has easily been recycling over existing recordings for a full day now, not once did I hear the slow-SD beep. Might even bump the firmware data rate up again and see how it goes.

FWIW here's the card I'm using now: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1031506-REG/lexar_lsdmi64gbsbna633r_64gb_micro_sdhc_card.html

Back