512GW and mounts compatibility plus ball joint problem

Famous Milkman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 312GW suction mount/GPS block permanently in place (suction cup removed n glued) and is a solid fixture this. can i use the 512GW in this GPS block or has there been any technological improvements to the 512GW one.

regarding the ball joint and holder, there seems to be a difference to model ones used. a 312 can be tightened and will be a good "lock" but using a 512 after tightening i can move the joint around a lot easier, why

after forking out a fair penny for these items i don't expect to "hack" any bracket to be suffice

What I can tell you the 512G ball is certainly larger in diameter than the 512GW ball, so you could assume thats yours is different as well, but I would measure both to confirm.
The old G model bracket is also a far better design with than both GW&R brackets, being stronger and flatter allowing the double sided pad adhesion over the entire surface.

My advice would be to remove your old fixture and fit the 512GW adhesive bracket in its place.
If your 312 bracket is stuck to the windscreen you will be able to remove it, just don't rush the job and be sure to clean the glass with IPA before applying the new bracket.

You can use a dab of hot melt glue or Bluetack to tighten the ball, if its really sloppy insert a strip of kitchen foil or tissue under the ball before tightening (worth checking you haven't cross threaded the tension nut).

Last edited:
Back