522GW hasn’t recorded since January

Chris93

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was involved in a collision yesterday with multiple cars (18 YO in a brand new Rangy smashed into 5 different cars, including mine) and wanted to use the dash cam footage from the rear for insurance/police evidence.

Upon checking the SD card for the videos I noticed it hasn’t even stored anything since the start of the year! Every time I get in to drive it appears to be recording so haven’t questioned it but the one time I need it, turns out it’s not even doing what it should. I had a cheap Amazon dash cam that records without fail yet this can’t even do that.

Any ideas as to why it hasn’t being overwriting footage since January?

thanks

Chris

What SDCard are you using ?

When Nextbase Support see this they will advise that you must have a very fast card, preferably one of theirs and it must be formatted every 2 to 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, this is hardly the first time we've seen a post like this. It's a fairly common problem.

The nature of dash cams is such that you simply can't trust them to be 100% reliable 100% of the time, so it is important to check your footage periodically to insure that the camera is functioning properly.

How often to check? Every few weeks is probably adequate, although many DCT members do it far more often. Certainly, one should review dash cam footage to monitor camera functioning at least once a month at a minimum.

The is for the replies! Checking the dash cam is definitely something I need to start doing as I spoke to next base customer service and it turns out the camera wasn’t even recording all this time even though I thought it was. It’s looking like a trip to the Audi dealership turned into them turning it off while it was in for a checkup! I do wish they would tell you this or at least turn it back on once they’re done messing around.

Luckily there’s at least 5 witnesses to the incident and that should be more than enough but it would have been better having that footage. Oh well, you live and learn.

What SDCard are you using ?

When Nextbase Support see this they will advise that you must have a very fast card, preferably one of theirs and it must be formatted every 2 to 3 weeks.

Hi

Yeah, those are the things they asked. The SD card is a next base one and they mentioned the formatting. Just unfortunate I didn’t even notice that it wasn’t even recording.

Unfortunately, this is hardly the first time we've seen a post like this. It's a fairly common problem.

The nature of dash cams is such that you simply can't trust them to be 100% reliable 100% of the time, so it is important to check your footage periodically to insure that the camera is functioning properly.

How often to check? Every few weeks is probably adequate, although many DCT members do it far more often. Certainly, one should review dash cam footage to monitor camera functioning at least once a month at a minimum.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely be checking it every few weeks now as checking any of the footage isn’t something I’ve ever done since installing the device. Checking it for the first time after an accident was definitely a silly mistake on my part!

Thanks again.

The is for the replies! Checking the dash cam is definitely something I need to start doing as I spoke to next base customer service and it turns out the camera wasn’t even recording all this time even though I thought it was. It’s looking like a trip to the Audi dealership turned into them turning it off while it was in for a checkup! I do wish they would tell you this or at least turn it back on once they’re done messing around.

Luckily there’s at least 5 witnesses to the incident and that should be more than enough but it would have been better having that footage. Oh well, you live and learn.
Hi

Yeah, those are the things they asked. The SD card is a next base one and they mentioned the formatting. Just unfortunate I didn’t even notice that it wasn’t even recording.
We found out purely by luck, both the Rangerover and BMW dealers are turning the dashcams off when they go in for a service. They neglected to tell us and didn’t turn them back on either. So perhaps something we need to be aware of going forwards.

Back