Nextbase 402g vs 422gw vs 522gw 10yearold cam higher quality ?

fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit it of a moan, maybe im missing something. I had a 402g, footage super crisp can read licence plates of oncoming vehicles at 60mph, have upgraded to a 422gw and yes i am using an overpriced nextbase branded SD card, the quality of the footage is a mess cant read plates on cars even at low speeds of less than 22mph, thought ok maybe dodgy camera or not actual hd, so i bought another camera and upgraded at the same time to the higher quality one a 522gw which is meant to be 2k and the quailty is exactly the same as the 422gw, all of which is still lower quality than a 402g 10 year old hd dashcam, i then bought another sd card thinking maybe faulty but it is still exactly the same also the "hd" footage on the 522gw is software locked and only viewable using the nextbase software.

what i have tried
  1. resesting cameras
  2. changing the dual quality file to single file
  3. trying every different quality mode
  4. different sd cards
  5. different camera
so has nextbase now become the same as most other dash cams which are just rebranding/reshelling crap Chinese knockoff cams or is there something stupidly obvious i am missing? how can a 10 year old hd cam be of clearer, crisper and higher image quality than a modern "2k" cam?

ATTACHED IMAGES BELOW (the dash cam new is from the 2k 522gw at 22mph in 30mph limit) (dash cam old is from the 10 year old HD 402g at 52mph in 60mph limit)

dashcam old new zoomed.png

dash cam new.pngdash cam old.png

Vauxhall old cam, Landy new cam? Wow what a difference between the two, a real conundrum. Why I have no idea unless you have been sold a dud.

Last edited:
What are the settings on the 422. If for example you are using 60fps then that can cause issues as I inserts a dummy frame

It could also be vibration as both units, hanging off a stalk, are prone to it so different road surfaces come into play

Fellow 402g owner here. Lost count of how many years i have been using this cam, but it must be at least 7 to 8 years. Also, still using the same sd card bought from Wilco (formated every 2 weeks on average).
I echo your comments regarding the quality of the recorded footage. The quality & sharpness of the old 402g is pin sharp compared to my recently aquired 522GW. ..........number plate clarity is no comparison compared to the 402g.

I have tried every setting on the 522GW.......the 402g knocks the 522GW into a ****ed hat regardless of settings.

Crazy that progress has made things only worse.

Back