522GW IOS - Accessory Not Supported?

woodpecker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a 522GW and cannot get it paired via the MyNextbase App to my iphone, phone is an iphone 7+ running IOS 12.3.1

Every time I try and pair it says Accessory Not Supported, This accessory is not supported by this device.

Things I've tried:-

Updated phone, it was on IOS 12.2 now 12.3.1
Firnware on 522 is up to date R16.3
Reset 522 to default settings
Forget device in bluetooth, turn off bluetooth and re-try
Power off everything and re-try

Each time I go through the procedure it shows the pairing pin code on the 522 and phone, in bluetooth settings it shows connected but the app always shows the unsupported message.

I am really not impressed, it should not be this difficult to make a bluetooth connection, any ideas before I throw it back at Halfords?

I have android so cannot help with IPhone.

But have you considered it is maybe the phone rather than the dashcam that has the problem? :unsure:

Hopefully you'll find a solution. Can you try pairing with a different phone to see it works?

But have you considered it is maybe the phone rather than the dashcam that has the problem? :unsure:

If I had problems connecting to other devices then I would blame the phone but I have no issue with it connecting to anything else over bluetooth, the 522 shows connected in settings but IOS shows the not supported message, this kind of message is normally associated with non MFI compliant devices.

Not sure what is going on with it but I've spent the whole evening messing with this after doing a hardwire install of the camera and still can't connect to it, this is the only bluetooth device I have EVER received this message for, hence at this point I am blaming the 522.

Just tried it on an ipad mini as a sanity check, this is still running IOS 12.1, exact same error message, it appears to pair, shows the pin codes but gives the same unsupported error :(

I had this issue. Tried two different iPhones. Was in contact with nextbase support who couldn’t resolve it and suggested I exchange it. The replacement connects fine.

Not sure what the problem is. I am running the 522GW with the rear screen camera and using and iPhone 8 running ios 12.3.1. and I'm not having any problems with this setup. As and experiment I dug out my old iPhone7, that has never been paired to the 522GW, and updated to 12.3.1. It paired first time without problem. If you are confident in your iPhones operation then I would do as @Paul Iddon suggests and contact @NextBase Support. They used to frequent these forums on a regular basis but I've not seen them for a few weeks. Hope everything goes well for you.

Nextbase emailed me a so called reset list which just covered the same things I had already done, tried 2 iphones and an ipad, all report the same accessory not supported message so they said take it back for an exchange.

I tried an Android phone and that would connect, whatever the fault is seems related to IOS only which makes me suspect that my unit has something in it which fails the IOS MFI check, I'm not impressed, as usual, quality control is left to customer.

Nextbase emailed me a so called reset list which just covered the same things I had already done, tried 2 iphones and an ipad, all report the same accessory not supported message so they said take it back for an exchange.

I tried an Android phone and that would connect, whatever the fault is seems related to IOS only which makes me suspect that my unit has something in it which fails the IOS MFI check, I'm not impressed, as usual, quality control is left to customer.
In fairness to Nextbase, and i'm not defending them, you are the only person on these forums that are reporting that particular problem. It may be that you just have a faulty model, this can happen with any product, as I know to my cost. I do not think that it is an inherent fault so quality control could not have found that fault. I do feel your pain and disappointment though and I hope the @NextBase Support can contact you with a solution to your satisfaction. I would though take it back for a replacement, or if you have lost confidence, a refund. Take with you the correspondence from Nextbase showing their recommendations.

I had a fair few problems with the 522Gw when I first bought it but am glad to report that all, baring one issue, works as I would expect. My problem is that I'm an early adopter with most things and should know that not all permutations of customers equipment can be tested in the labs and a certain amount of frustration is to be expected.

Now I need to get back to sorting the Asus RT-AX88U router issues, again my fault for being one of the first adopters.

Good luck mate and I hope you get satisfaction, whichever way you decide to go.

Last edited:
In fairness to Nextbase, and i'm not defending them, you are the only person on these forums that are reporting that particular problem. It may be that you just have a faulty model, this can happen with any product, as I know to my cost. I do not think that it is an inherent fault so quality control could not have found that fault. I do feel your pain and disappointment though and I hope the @NextBase Support can contact you with a solution to your satisfaction. I would though take it back for a replacement, or if you have lost confidence, a refund. Take with you the correspondence from Nextbase showing their recommendations.

I had a fair few problems with the 522Gw when I first bought it but am glad to report that all, baring one issue, works as I would expect. My problem is that I'm an early adopter with most things and should know that not all permutations of customers equipment can be tested in the labs and a certain amount of frustration is to be expected.

Now I need to get back to sorting the Asus RT-AX8000U router issues, again my fault for being one of the first adopters.

Good luck mate and I hope you get satisfaction, whichever way you decide to go.

+1

Just bought a 522GW and cannot get it paired via the MyNextbase App to my iphone, phone is an iphone 7+ running IOS 12.3.1

Every time I try and pair it says Accessory Not Supported, This accessory is not supported by this device.

Things I've tried:-

Updated phone, it was on IOS 12.2 now 12.3.1
Firnware on 522 is up to date R16.3
Reset 522 to default settings
Forget device in bluetooth, turn off bluetooth and re-try
Power off everything and re-try

Each time I go through the procedure it shows the pairing pin code on the 522 and phone, in bluetooth settings it shows connected but the app always shows the unsupported message.

I am really not impressed, it should not be this difficult to make a bluetooth connection, any ideas before I throw it back at Halfords?
I have exactly the same issues. Bought my 522GW with rear view cam addon on 15th June. Can’t get Bluetooth to work reliably on my iPhone XS Max or iPad. Both running IOS 12.4. Dash cam firmware updated to latest version R16.3 Endless attempts to pair, unpair. About 1 time in ten it pairs and works, but if I quit and try to get them going again it’s back to square 1! Phone Bluetooth settings show its paired and connected to the dascam. Dash cam thinks it’s not connected. Nextbase app on phone doesn’t what to know and suggests unpairing.

Also Dashcam seems to get very hot in use.

Can use software on windows PC can view images via dash cam or inserting sd card into computer. Images a bit pixelated / more blurry than I thought they would be but this is my first dash cam.

Sdxc card is a Sandisk Extreme 64 GB V30 U3 A2.

Last edited:
Back from Halfords, they exchanged the 522 and this one connects to the IOS app, the connection seems a bit hit and miss, app locked up once but at least its connected now...

Yes - that particular fault is a hardware fault so will need replacing.

Always best to call us on 02920 866 429 or email support@nextbase.com to get an immediate response.

Thank you for all of the advice provided above. The 'hard reset', the list of instructions we send will resolve almost all connectivity symptoms, they occur when Bluetooth is connected manually rather than through the app (this has already been fixed in the new App so isn't going to be a problem moving forward) but sometimes it is unfortunately a hardware fault.

Back