522GW strange behaviour

Judslat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Lets lay some ground work

I have the 522GW (about 2 years old) plugged into it is the golf ball rear camera
The unit is powered with a NB official power converter connected to the switch live circuit
Its using the official NB SD card, formatted monthly as advised
Running Latest FW

FAULT
My vehicle has stop/start
Just recently the following has started happening

When I come to a stop the engine cuts out with stop start, at this point the camera is still running
when i press the clutch to start the engine the camera shuts down and tries to start backup.

Sometimes its fine (although thats a rarity) the majority of the time the following occurs
the camera doesnt power up and shows a red and blue light, If i press the power button the rear camera shows as white block and the main screen shows about 5 frames of video constantly looping.

To resolve this I pull the camera off the mag mount, wait 5 seconds then put it back, this either results in the same thing happening or it works, if the same thing happens I have no choice but to press the reset button for 5 seconds which 9-10 times fixes the issue, for the 10th time I have to press the reset button again.

I've tried an alternate SD card and have downgraded the FW both of which havent fixed the issue.

If I disable the stop/start then the camera works fine, goes off with the ignition and back on with the ignition

NOW HERE IS THE ABOSLUTE KICKER.

If i unplug the rear camera then the unit doesnt have any issues at all, none, zero

So by now your guessing an issue with the rear camera, if so then why does it work normally if I disable stop/start?

Ive checked the cabling and its all fine with no nicks or damage, Im guessing that for some reason having the rear cam plugged in is drawing more current from the vans electrical circuit so maybe its the power adapter that is the issue, I cant check this without buying a new one, the battery is goosed could that be the issue maybe?

Ideas are welcome.

Predictable behaviour as the in cam batteries wear out.

Your main problem though is that your power cable is wired to a fuse, or socket, that loses power when the starter motor cranks. I've seen lots of this and the answer is to find a circuit that doesn't lose power on cranking.

Not easy but achievable with a multimeter.

Hi All

Lets lay some ground work

I have the 522GW (about 2 years old) plugged into it is the golf ball rear camera
The unit is powered with a NB official power converter connected to the switch live circuit
Its using the official NB SD card, formatted monthly as advised
Running Latest FW

FAULT
My vehicle has stop/start
Just recently the following has started happening

When I come to a stop the engine cuts out with stop start, at this point the camera is still running
when i press the clutch to start the engine the camera shuts down and tries to start backup.

Sometimes its fine (although thats a rarity) the majority of the time the following occurs
the camera doesnt power up and shows a red and blue light, If i press the power button the rear camera shows as white block and the main screen shows about 5 frames of video constantly looping.

To resolve this I pull the camera off the mag mount, wait 5 seconds then put it back, this either results in the same thing happening or it works, if the same thing happens I have no choice but to press the reset button for 5 seconds which 9-10 times fixes the issue, for the 10th time I have to press the reset button again.

I've tried an alternate SD card and have downgraded the FW both of which havent fixed the issue.

If I disable the stop/start then the camera works fine, goes off with the ignition and back on with the ignition

NOW HERE IS THE ABOSLUTE KICKER.

If i unplug the rear camera then the unit doesnt have any issues at all, none, zero

So by now your guessing an issue with the rear camera, if so then why does it work normally if I disable stop/start?

Ive checked the cabling and its all fine with no nicks or damage, Im guessing that for some reason having the rear cam plugged in is drawing more current from the vans electrical circuit so maybe its the power adapter that is the issue, I cant check this without buying a new one, the battery is goosed could that be the issue maybe?

Ideas are welcome.
Hello,

Firstly, I'd recommend switching your fuse position from a switch live fuse to a permanently live fuse. This will prevent the loss of power when the car/stop starts, and should alleviate the issue entirety. Make sure you enable Parking Mode on the dashcam to ensure it switches off when the car is still.
1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Stop it recording (by pressing the red circle)
3) Go into Settings (the button in the top left)
4) Go into Setup settings
5) Scroll across to ‘Parking Mode’
6) Enable Parking Mode here

I wold also recommend a battery test.

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Definitely battery, I had exactly the same issue. The battery could not even run the camera for a second so as the starter kicks in and draws a load of current you camera power drops and it dies instantly.

I have the same setup with front and rear and official NB card..

You can get a replacement battery for a decent price off nextbase.

Back