522GW with rear camera modules.

Simcor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if nextbase can confirm whether the camera still runs at a lower resolution with rear cameras attached like the current 512GW, can't see any mention of the resolution when using both cameras.

Quite like the idea of the rear zoom camera module that plugs into the front camera as it avoids the neccesity of running a rear camera cable. Although I see you can also have a rear window mount camera as well.

Just wondering what the difference is in quality of footage using the zoom module for rear cam and the actual window mount rear cam.

Found it on main product page should have looked harder.

Nextbase said:
When you are using a rear-view camera module the resolution of your front camera will automatically adjust to manage the two high-resolution video files. The options for these settings are 422/522GW Front 1080p Rear 1080p OR Front 1440p Rear 720p 322GW Front 1080p Rear 720p

Hi @Simcor

It does but not in the same way; its a bit more complicated now, the resolution of the front depends on the resolution set in the menu.

Front - 1440p @30fps Rear - 720p @30fps
Front - 1080p @60fps Rear - 720p @30fps
Front - 1080p @30fps Rear - 1080p @30fps

I see you've found it but just confirming.

The difference between zoom and rear window cam is going to be like the DUO HD and the 512GW with Rear Cam from our previous range.

You've already got the 512GW and Rear so here is a DUO HD video to explain the difference better:

Cheers for the response.

Thinking of upgrading as I have a 50 quid gift card I won at work and my Halfords discount card so will cost me less than £100 to buy a new cam and rear camera.

And as my current rear cam doesn't work which I think is the cable can't be bothered with the faff of running a rear cable.

I think the modules plugging directly in to the camera is a much better idea.

Picked up the 522GW and rear zoom camera module today. Not permanently installed as yet as going to run it alongside my 512GW for a bit just as a comparison.

This one has to go to the right hand side of my rear view mirror because of the camera module. So I need to pull some slack through on my hard wire kit for it to be routed to the other side.

Played around a bit but need to really check it all out properly.

Weirdly to add after removing my 512gw to swap the sd card into my new 522gw and sticking an old 64gb card in the 512gw.

Popping them both back in the car my old 512gw is working properly again, it's almost as if it knows it's getting replaced. [emoji23]

Starting to look like a loon with 2 front dashcams, but the old one will be removed soon to make way for the new one in its place.

I have seen a couple of comments abut people having multiple camera set up in their vehicles and really don't want to end up that nuts, I'm nuts enough as it is.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

As we've seen many times, the fault often lies with the SDCard. This can range from a slow card to an overused one.

As we've seen many times, the fault often lies with the SDCard. This can range from a slow card to an overused one.
It was playing up with a brand new canvas go SD card from Kingston. Yet working again with the old SanDisk I originally had in it.

I think it is more a cable issue and maybe just because it was removed and reinstalled.

Got my camera swapped for the rear window camera today at Halfords without any issues.

Don't know why I didn't think about taking it back myself.

Got my camera swapped for the rear window camera today at Halfords without any issues.

Don't know why I didn't think about taking it back myself.
I'm pleased you didn't have an issue. I find the sales staff there variable in their helpfulness. You obviously had a good one. Let me know your thoughts on the camera when you get it fitted.

This one has to go to the right hand side of my rear view mirror because of the camera module. So I need to pull some slack through on my hard wire kit for it to be routed to the other side.

That's my concern with the 522GW design - that the rear view module has to go on the right hand side of the unit, rather than the left.

The Duo has the rear camera on the left side, and the front camera on the right, so that it can be placed to the left of the mirror, and (depending on car model) slightly tucked behind it, so that it doesn't (illegally), obstruct the drivers view.

With the rear view camera on the other side of the 522GW, if you place in in this location (as the manual actually advises - "preferably on the passenger side of the vehicle and behind the rear view mirror", then doesn't the mirrow obscure the view view camera? If you place it to the right of the rear view mirror, then doesn't this risk being in the "no go" area above the steering wheel?

Or is it possible to mount the camera "upside down" and flip the screen in settings?

Matthew

That's my concern with the 522GW design - that the rear view module has to go on the right hand side of the unit, rather than the left.

The Duo has the rear camera on the left side, and the front camera on the right, so that it can be placed to the left of the mirror, and (depending on car model) slightly tucked behind it, so that it doesn't (illegally), obstruct the drivers view.

With the rear view camera on the other side of the 522GW, if you place in in this location (as the manual actually advises - "preferably on the passenger side of the vehicle and behind the rear view mirror", then doesn't the mirrow obscure the view view camera? If you place it to the right of the rear view mirror, then doesn't this risk being in the "no go" area above the steering wheel?

Matthew
Good question. Looks like the design is aimed more at our LH drive cousins. A bigger market I suppose.

Good question. Looks like the design is aimed more at our LH drive cousins. A bigger market I suppose.

I suppose, but it does seem a pity if there isn't a variant suitable for UK cars.

I've checked the online manual, as there is no mention of a rotate display option in settings (unlike the Duo), so that isn't a workaround (assuming the ball joint in the mounting allows you to twist the camera through 180 degrees).

Matthew

Tbh having had it on the right hand side I can on my car have the camera behind the rear view mirror without an issue. The rear zoom camera has to stick out the side but it's so nehlible and high up I can't see it being an issue.

The main consideration is not to encroach on the swept area of the screen of the wiper blades.

I'm much happier with rear camera although I ha e only got the cable trailing through the car at the moment until I get it routed and the old cable out.

I have also figured out the horrible reflection I get on the rear window is the light grey platic trim around the boot so need to find a solution to that although for the moment some black gaffa tape will do the trick for the time being albeit not looking great.

I can't get dark platic for the car as that is the only colour of the trim so may have to platic paint it but would need all the trim round the boot area doing lost likely and then will look odd with the light grey parcel shelf and rest of thr grey trim and rooflining. So still not sure best way to solve this.

I've got a similar "issue" with my rear boot lid surround, it reminds me of looking out of a plane window.
I was thinking of tinkering with a polarising filter, and fabricating some sort of holder to either let it float in front of the camera, or attach to the mount/camera

I have to say the new cable design with a 3.5mm jack is so much easier to route through spaces and rubber grommets than the old 512ge rear camera cable was.

Thumbs up for the design on the new rear camera.

Hi All,

I've got the rearview module for mine, as I have the camera at the top of the window, passenger side, just to the left of the rear view mirror, the plug in module seem to work pretty well.

The only issue i'm having, even with U3 Samsung 64GB and 128GB cards is the message, Slow Card Detected keeps coming up, this is in both 1080p / 1440p mode.

It doesn't stop the camera recording and when viewing the files back everything seems to be find, it's just an extra chime from the unit when it does it..

checking the cards they are up to 100MB/s read / 90MB/s write. (Samsung Evo Plus)

Looking I can see some cards are 170MB/s read / 90MB/s write. (San Disk Extreme Pro)

So the same write speeds...

Naxtbase Technical ? or Forum Members, help ? is this to do with it recording both rear & front ?

I'm going to try without the rear module in to see how it performs, but would be good to know if its a fault or feature as people like to call issues like this.

Cheers
Darren

Hi All,

I've got the rearview module for mine, as I have the camera at the top of the window, passenger side, just to the left of the rear view mirror, the plug in module seem to work pretty well.

The only issue i'm having, even with U3 Samsung 64GB and 128GB cards is the message, Slow Card Detected keeps coming up, this is in both 1080p / 1440p mode.

It doesn't stop the camera recording and when viewing the files back everything seems to be find, it's just an extra chime from the unit when it does it..

checking the cards they are up to 100MB/s read / 90MB/s write. (Samsung Evo Plus)

Looking I can see some cards are 170MB/s read / 90MB/s write. (San Disk Extreme Pro)

So the same write speeds...

Naxtbase Technical ? or Forum Members, help ? is this to do with it recording both rear & front ?

I'm going to try without the rear module in to see how it performs, but would be good to know if its a fault or feature as people like to call issues like this.

Cheers
Darren
Are you certain they are genuine cards?

I bought an sd card out of curiosity that claimed to be genuine and 256gb and it comes up with slow card detected on my phone.

But I knew it was very likely to be hooky and o my paid a couple of quid for it just see if it was any good or not.

Last edited:
Test it:

Back